Author Topic: 2812 wind sensor  (Read 2984 times)

Offline earthdog

2812 wind sensor
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »
Just got the system and like it alot but the wind sensor really sucks.
It will be on and showing stats all day then about once or twice an evening it will stop sending data.
I have to press the sync button and wait about ten minutes or longer for it to send data again.
It's been sunny for 3 days so I know the batteries are charged well.
Happens every day!
Any suggestions besides getting a Davis weather station?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 2812 wind sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
Try different orientations of the thermo/hygro sensor in relation to the wind sensor's position. The wind sensor transmits it's data through the thermo/hygro sensor and on to the console inside. Mine will work without any data drop outs for a year and when I move the t/h sensor (change batts for example) and change it's position in it's radiation shield it may start dropping wind data occasionally. I believe it may be the on board antenna radiation pattern causing a "hit or miss" (or marginal) connection with the wind sensor.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:08:08 PM by DanS »

Offline earthdog

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
I'll move the T/H sensor in the morning and see if that helps. I'll let you know.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »
...to add what Dan offered....either move the thermo sensor or the wind sensor closer together.  I know Lacrosse advertises something like 150' range but from my experience with this series station, closer is better.

A couple of other suggestions...

The instructions used to say put the solar panel under a 60 watt(?) bulb before install...?

Batteries, batteries, batteries.  If you call Lacrosse the first thing that will ask is "are the batteries in all sensors NEW"

If all else fails....give Lacrosse a call.  Although their stations may not be of a 'higher grade', they do seem willing to help and or replace.

Offline earthdog

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »
All batteries are new. I turned the T/H sensor a quarter turn towards the wind sensor and now it works fine, has been 3 days without a problem.
Thanks for the help!

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:40 PM »
...nice.....glad to hear it's working.  Any pics?