Author Topic: What is to be done with the old Reds?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline weathernick

What is to be done with the old Reds?
« on: May 14, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »
Hello World (sorry a little programming humor),

This might seem a little random and perhaps this topic belongs in the water cooler section or the wanted ads. The all powerful admins can make that call.

I was thinking the other day as I am waiting for Blue to be released, what is to be done with all the old Reds? Will most users just run both for a little bit and then go all blue. Or will reds go to the shelve just like last years cell phone?

The reason I ask is because I am very eager to add Yuma, Arizona to the Blitzortung network but my funding won't be ready to plunker down 300 dollars for a few more years. (My homemade weather station with four homemade web cams turn out not to be free. :) ) Do you all anticipate other users selling their old Red systems to other users? That might work out better for me and the Blitzortung network expansion.

If Red is going to be useful for a few more years I would love to see a continuing increase in the network. Shoot just last year I was saying to myself how Arizona didn't have very many and now we have 3-4. So I guess the next question is what is more important? Increase the network, or increase the technology? In the end I see myself going with Blue but not for a few more years. I would really love to fill the gap between San Diego (180 miles to my west) and Phoenix (180 miles to my East) sooner than later.

This was bouncing around in my head because 100's of more blues are coming off the production line and I am sure they will be picked up very quickly.

thank you for your time,

Nickolas

PWS: Custom built with Raspberry Pi collecting the data from the sensors.
CWOP: EW5462
Wunderground: KAZYUMA27
Personal WX page: http://mccolls.weewx.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: What is to be done with the old Reds?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »
Hello World (sorry a little programming humor),

This might seem a little random and perhaps this topic belongs in the water cooler section or the wanted ads. The all powerful admins can make that call. 

Oh no.. good place, and good thought  =D>
I was thinking the other day as I am waiting for Blue to be released, what is to be done with all the old Reds? Will most users just run both for a little bit and then go all blue. Or will reds go to the shelve just like last years cell phone?
RED is the foundation for BLUE, and actually sends two more E channels than Blue, for filtering purposes. RED data will be, likely, useable pretty much forever, unlike it's predecessor, our pioneer GREENs, which simply don't have the data capability needed... So REDs aren't likely to go in the junkpile, at all, for years... and I'd suspect the (way the heck down the road) 4th generation (Pink, Purple, whatever) will simply have a few more capabilities. RED and BLUE provide a whole bunch of info that isn't used, but will be.... 
A RED operator should feel no push to 'update' to BLUE... they are very similar... Blue has a few optional 'bells'n'whistles', and may have some more 'server discussion' capabilities, but that cannot be effective overall until there are plenty of BLUES, and even then, most, if not all of those enhancements to data and parameters server-to-station .. well, RED is just waiting for them...
RED and BLUE will be the network for the foreseeable future... but BLUE is going to arrive over time in several versions, mostly with operator interface options, such as touchscreen, whatever.
The reason I ask is because I am very eager to add Yuma, Arizona to the Blitzortung network but my funding won't be ready to plunker down 300 dollars for a few more years. (My homemade weather station with four homemade web cams turn out not to be free. :) ) Do you all anticipate other users selling their old Red systems to other users? That might work out better for me and the Blitzortung network expansion.
I think most will stay with RED, perhaps adding BLUE later, as the 'fancier' versions come into production.  Some will run both... BUT there is no doubt in my mind that you have a great thought, and I've no doubt, at some point that will occur... USED and PROVEN REDS... cool.
If Red is going to be useful for a few more years I would love to see a continuing increase in the network. Shoot just last year I was saying to myself how Arizona didn't have very many and now we have 3-4. So I guess the next question is what is more important? Increase the network, or increase the technology? In the end I see myself going with Blue but not for a few more years. I would really love to fill the gap between San Diego (180 miles to my west) and Phoenix (180 miles to my East) sooner than later.
Oh, increase the network.... the technology is here. RED and BLUE. This works optimally if we could have stations 50mi apart!  The more stations the better!
This was bouncing around in my head because 100's of more blues are coming off the production line and I am sure they will be picked up very quickly.

thank you for your time,

Nickolas
Actually, there aren't "100s" coming off... just 100, in the initial run. The expenses of production are passed along in the cost, the SMD parts, board production, and soldering of those parts in factory amounts to 90% of the system cost, less antennas, filter option, power supply, cables, etc which you should optain... you can add in cases, and order antennas along with the kit, additional... The other 10% of kit cost is for the unmounted parts you have to install... connectors, etc..  Shipping from Germany is something like $13

And to add to this lengthy post.. one observation:
I' running a 'pre-release' system 19.0, with filter option, for test, and a development firmware, alongside a Proven Red.  Only difference is slightly different ferrites on the BLUE... One system will detect strokes the other doesn't depending on circumstances... It's almost impossible to compare one to the other in many respects... and one thing I noticed, because of my noisy environment, BLUE seems much more efficient <900 miles, which is about what the original intent (Nominal distance max) was considered in a 'perfect' network... that's an early impression, and I keep trying to compare to RED, which is kinda  #-o if you think about it. There are some significant differences.

So, Get one when you can, or wait a few months till folks try to unload REDs if that happens.  Either One will be good for many years.

Cheers!
Mike
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:50:09 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline weathernick

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:19:10 PM »
Thanks Mike, Very informative. I have squared away power and network in my attic this morning in the event I get the system. (hee hee I mean when I get the system)

One last question. I keep seeing documentation for Blitzortung red and blue scattered on this forum. Is there a central repository for all this stuff that non users can access? I like to study up on this technology I am about to acquire.

Thanks again for the quick response. Now back to playing with time lapse videos.

Nickolas
PWS: Custom built with Raspberry Pi collecting the data from the sensors.
CWOP: EW5462
Wunderground: KAZYUMA27
Personal WX page: http://mccolls.weewx.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
As a Primer for Blitzortung:
http://en.blitzortung.org/Compendium/Documentations/Documentation_2014-05-11_Red_PCB_10.4_PCB_12.3_PCB_13.1_PCB_14.1.pdf?1463267374
Initial Docs on BLUE
http://en.blitzortung.org/Compendium/Documentations/Documentation_2016-05-04_Blue_PCB_20_1.pdf?1463267374
If you're not already on the Blitzortung Forum, join it
 http://en.blitzortung.org/forum.php
As for info, most of all we've learned is on this board, just read up... pretty much everything RED about issues, etc, noise, will apply to BLUE
Also attached a couple of PDFs ...

Enjoy  :twisted:
Mike
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:29:50 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything