Author Topic: WeatherLinkIP Web Data Download / Scripts (Linux)  (Read 1904 times)

Offline videorex

WeatherLinkIP Web Data Download / Scripts (Linux)
« on: January 21, 2017, 07:35:30 AM »
For those who want to use a Linux machine to download weather station data from the WeatherLinkIP Web and then process the binary data to human-readable CSV files, this post may assist.

I created a couple of bash scripts to first download the data (get_weather.txt), and then to process the data (process_weather.txt).  The output is a CSV file that may be imported into Excel, MatLab, etc. for additional statistical analysis and graphs. 

For my setup, I have a cloud-based Linux server that pulls data from WeatherLinkIP once an hour using a cronjob.  This includes data for two Vantage Pro2 Plus stations which report every minute.  I simply fetch the data on-demand from the Linux server via SFTP when I want to perform some ad-hoc statistical analysis and reporting.

These scripts can also be modified for Windows Powershell or Mac OSx compatibility.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:37:44 AM by videorex »

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
Re: WeatherLinkIP Web Data Download / Scripts (Linux)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing :)

Regards

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
Re: WeatherLinkIP Web Data Download / Scripts (Linux)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 05:15:31 AM »
For those who want to use a Linux machine to download weather station data from the WeatherLinkIP Web and then process the binary data to human-readable CSV files, this post may assist.

I created a couple of bash scripts to first download the data (get_weather.txt), and then to process the data (process_weather.txt).  The output is a CSV file that may be imported into Excel, MatLab, etc. for additional statistical analysis and graphs. 

For my setup, I have a cloud-based Linux server that pulls data from WeatherLinkIP once an hour using a cronjob.  This includes data for two Vantage Pro2 Plus stations which report every minute.  I simply fetch the data on-demand from the Linux server via SFTP when I want to perform some ad-hoc statistical analysis and reporting.

These scripts can also be modified for Windows Powershell or Mac OSx compatibility.

Hi videorex, thank you very much for these scripts! They are very interesting, and do what exactly I need to do. In fact, I need to parse from somewere the archive records of the datalogger (such as you can do with the downld02.txt generated automatically by Weatherlink software), and for Weatherlink IP I wasn't finding any solution. Just a little problem: rain is parsed with only one decimal position (in inches) when it would be necessary to parse at least 2 decimals. Is this possible?
My weather Station in Rome:
http://www.romaeurmeteo.it/