Author Topic: New Weather Underground beta for Android  (Read 5444 times)

Offline larryjb

Re: New Weather Underground beta for Android
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
Is there no way to opt out of the beta?

I was able to opt out of beta just fine.  I'm back to 5.10.1.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
The odd thing is I didn't sign up / join any Beta, it was just a normal app update and there was no option to opt out, I had to uninstall the app then use a backup copy of the apk to reinstall, now my phone and tablets keep offering (auto update is off) me a WU app update which I'm ignoring.
Also can't find any mention of a WU app beta anywhere on Google Play even within the WU app page.  :?

EDIT
Just found out where beta option is and I definitely didn't sign up for that.
Interestingly also found out that the Play app doesn't offer me the update for either of my Nexus 7 tablets (an original and a 2013 version) it warns that the app may not be optimised for my device.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 10:57:30 PM by jimi »
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline bjp

• KVTEASTF5
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
I have a copy of the 5.10.1 apk (last good version before the update) I could send you it, if you want ? At the moment it's still working fine.

That's a very kind offer!  I think I will pass, and just leave it uninstalled, so as not to encourage them with more ad impressions and location slurping.

On the beta topic, I never joined the beta.  I just did, and when I do and install I get 6.0.1.  If I then leave the beta, uninstall, and re-install the non-beta version, I get 6.0.1 again.  I know I'm doing it right because I do participate in betas for other apps and occasionally have to revert.
2005 Davis VP2+ with WifiLogger

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2019, 02:39:32 PM »
Did you wait long enough to be removed from Beta before re-install? I checked back an hour or so later and got the old version upon reinstall.

Offline bjp

• KVTEASTF5
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
Did you wait long enough to be removed from Beta before re-install? I checked back an hour or so later and got the old version upon reinstall.

I waited about five minutes, long enough for the play store to show the "join" option again for the beta, and had no change.  Then I uninstalled it again.  Now it has been another 6 hours since then and I just tried again, same result.  I have the option to join the beta, but the downloaded version is 6.0.1.

apkmirror and other similar sites do have the old version available to download so I and others can grab it there and sideload if wanted.  I guess they may be doing one of the staged releases as a wider beta.  I know I never joined the beta in the first place and was offered the 6.0.1 version as a regular update a few days ago with no indication it was a beta, I assume my google account is bound to the new release at this point.
2005 Davis VP2+ with WifiLogger