Author Topic: 10,000 Members Soon  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
10,000 Members Soon
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:50:33 AM »
Based on forum stats it looks like the site will reach 10K members within the next few months. I wonder who it will be. I wonder if it will happen by the end of 2015.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: 10,000 Members Soon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
It would be nice to get to 10K by the 10-year anniversary of WXForum.net on August 20, 2016.

Wow.. 9 years already.  I'm feeling much older now :)

Thanks to all the forum members who contribute to this great weather enthusiast community!
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
But maybe 500 of them post.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »

The WxForum regulars are fairly well represented in the top 100, with a few more in the next 100.

Our top poster has 6440 posts, which is notable for his connection speed. :)

The 100th top poster has 445 posts, or 7% of the top, but hasn't been on since December 15, 2009.

The 500th from the top, only 43, 10% of the 100th, and 0.67% of the top 1, and hasn't been on since May 12, 2015.

Check it out for yourself. Click on the Members link at the top, and then click on the Posts column to sort by # of posts.

The green Status box shows who is on-line. You can click on Status and sort by that...

(FWIW, I doubt my Status box is ever NOT green. I usually keep the forum open on my weather computer, phone and tablet...)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »
It would be nice to get to 10K by the 10-year anniversary of WXForum.net on August 20, 2016.

Wow.. 9 years already.  I'm feeling much older now :)

Thanks to all the forum members who contribute to this great weather enthusiast community!

Well thanks goes primarily to you Ken for starting and maintaining this... I myself have discovered this forum about yr and half ago and started using more intensively about 8 months ago and I have already found many "friends" here and many times was amazed how helpful and patient people are... something you dont see so often today...

Great community here!

Im already looking forward also to our 100,000th member and milionth post :)

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
(FWIW, I doubt my Status box is ever NOT green. I usually keep the forum open on my weather computer, phone and tablet...)

Caught you sleeping I guess lol!

Sorting by posts descending I am half way down the page on page 2. Got some work to do I guess. Of course I've only been here since March so I guess that's not too bad.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 05:17:45 PM »
This forum goes back beyond its current incarnation. I don't remember the details, which I am sure Ken has, but the original forum was created sometime in the early 2000's and had quite a history back then too with lots of interaction between the members. In fact, I can remember getting up one morning to discover the old WXFORUM wasn't on-line. It had simply disappeared, as I remember it. It took a while to figure out what had happened but happily, Ken and others put their heads together and came up with the new WXFORUM. In my mind, this new forum is better than the old one and very well managed. We rarely have any issues that aren't resolved quickly.

So, to Ken and the others who have shepherded this forum over the years, I salute all of you for the great job you have done. I look forward to this forum being around for many more years.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:32 AM »
Well, doesn't look like we'll quite make it by the end of the year, but not too far to go now.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »
This forum goes back beyond its current incarnation. I don't remember the details, which I am sure Ken has, but the original forum was created sometime in the early 2000's and had quite a history back then too with lots of interaction between the members. In fact, I can remember getting up one morning to discover the old WXFORUM wasn't on-line. It had simply disappeared,

The old weatherforum.net was treated as an unofficial but sanctioned Customer Support site for Ambient Weather.  As I recall, they had a couple of people that posted answering questions.  There was some sort of blow up and they left the site.  Don't remember all the details.  The domain name was abandoned and scarfed by a squatter that wanted some ridiculous price to sell it.  Several folks mentioned starting a new site using a similar name.  I was in the process of setting up a board when this one started, but I didn't have a suitable domain name at that point so this one got the nod.  Ambient didn't want anything to do with it though other than to post a link on their site.

Unfortunately some of the problem causers came over here too, but they have faded into the background.  One of them was a Mod here for a while before he showed his colors and either stepped down or was demoted.

As noted above, if even 10% of the member roster was active, you probably wouldn't be able to keep up with the posts.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Almost. From Ken's first post about this here, back 0n July 26, 2006....

Gary Oldham's weatherforum.net is in DNS limbo after the hosting organization (simple-web.net) appears to have gone belly-up while Gary was in the process of moving the registration.

Weatherforum.net is stuck for 30 days from July-14-2006 in the status of 'REDEMPTIONPERIOD' where only the original registrar (simple-web.net) can make a restore of the domain.. that seems very unlikely, so we have to wait it out.

Meanwhile, the group of admins from the forum (anole, noquitters, katscanman, kenmtrue) are helping Gary try to get a snapshot version running on a new temporary website while the rest of the DNS mess gets cleared up. We hope to do this shortly after August 1, 2006 when Gary has finished his move to Texas and his new job.

This forum is just temporary until we can get as much of the original weatherforum.net restored to service as possible, and Gary can resume the helm as captain of the forum he built.  While we will try to preserve postings made here when the merge is done with the original forum, we can't guarantee it. 

Weatherforum.net will return .. meanwhile we can use this. 

Best regards,
Ken

Then on August 25th, Ken posted...

Well, we've gone full circle on the name weatherforum.net.  Here's the cronology for those who may be interested:

July 14-2006  weatherforum.net expires along with the registrar simple-web.net

July-20-2006 Chris creates wxforum.net as a temporary place for the admins to meet and see about restoration of backup that Gary may have of the forum contents.

July-26-2006 the temporary forum address is announced on Weather-Watch, Ambient, WeatherMatrix forums and folks begin joining this forum.
Gary is deep in the prep for the new job (beginning Aug 1s in Texas).

Aug-1-2006 Gary starts new job in Texas (18hr days).  WXforum.net has 41 members.  Posts on other forums updated with status.

Aug-15-2006 Weatherforum.net leaves 'redemptionstatus' and enters 'pendingdelete' status.  Gary is working with Schlund+Partner (upstream registrar to the failed simple-web.net), jumping through hoops trying to reclaim the name.

Aug-21-2006 Schlund not successful, Weatherforum.net picked up by eNom.com who starts a private auction for the name.  Private=you had to be an eNom.com client before the auction started, so Ken couldn't join it.

Aug-23-2006 eNom.com auction completed -- weatherforum.net went to another reseller namegiant.com based in UK (final price was $70).

Aug-23-2006 - I send a polite note expressing interest in acquiring weatherforum.net from namegiant.com.

Aug-25-2006 - no response to email note, so I called them.  Yes, they'd be pleased to sell the domain for a paltry $5,000.00 US.  I noted that their recent acquisition had only cost them $70US and that their asking price was quite steep.  They noted that I was unfamiliar with how it works now.  I bade them thanks and good luck.

Upshot:  Rest In Peace, Weatherforum.net 

Please change any links you have on your webpages to wxforum.net -- our new home.

Best regards,
Ken

Then on Sept 5, 2008, the official, Ambient hosted VWS forum went away...

I said, in the VWS section here:

Just in the last half hour or so I believe...

"Forum is down permanently. Support will now have to be through direct email or phone to Ambient."

As I recall there was a dispute there, which included Ed getting threatened somehow, and he decided it wasn't worth it.

You can read more in the opening posts of the Announcements area here, as well as aroudn that data in the VWS area.

The old weatherforum.net was treated as an unofficial but sanctioned Customer Support site for Ambient Weather.  As I recall, they had a couple of people that posted answering questions.  There was some sort of blow up and they left the site.  Don't remember all the details.  The domain name was abandoned and scarfed by a squatter that wanted some ridiculous price to sell it.  Several folks mentioned starting a new site using a similar name.  I was in the process of setting up a board when this one started, but I didn't have a suitable domain name at that point so this one got the nod.  Ambient didn't want anything to do with it though other than to post a link on their site.

Unfortunately some of the problem causers came over here too, but they have faded into the background.  One of them was a Mod here for a while before he showed his colors and either stepped down or was demoted.

As noted above, if even 10% of the member roster was active, you probably wouldn't be able to keep up with the posts.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
SLOweather,

Thanks for the piece of history! :)

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 06:07:51 PM »
Almost.

Hey, I'm just going from memory.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »
Hey, I've got an idea. We can give the 10,000th member a FREE membership on the WXFORUM!  :roll: :shock: \:D/
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »

The WxForum regulars are fairly well represented in the top 100, with a few more in the next 100.

Our top poster has 6440 posts, which is notable for his connection speed. :)

The 100th top poster has 445 posts, or 7% of the top, but hasn't been on since December 15, 2009.

The 500th from the top, only 43, 10% of the 100th, and 0.67% of the top 1, and hasn't been on since May 12, 2015.

Check it out for yourself. Click on the Members link at the top, and then click on the Posts column to sort by # of posts.

The green Status box shows who is on-line. You can click on Status and sort by that...

I made the 1st page 3rd from bottom  \:D/
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »
Hey, I've got an idea. We can give the 10,000th member a FREE membership on the WXFORUM!  :roll: :shock: \:D/

Hmm, I don't know if we should do that... I mean ... membership on such a valuable forum is surely worth a lot

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »

Now that's a lot of money we're talking about!  ;)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 11:29:25 PM »
Maybe limit it to a 90 day trial free membership so we can decide if we still want them here ;)

p.s. a credit on my site will also be thrown in 8)

Paul

Offline WA4TM

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 06:27:31 PM »
As of right now, we need 7 to make the 10,000 mark... 

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »
Yup,  I also wonder what percentage of them are really active -  say logged in at least once within the  last 365 days

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
Yup,  I also wonder what percentage of them are really active -  say logged in at least once within the  last 365 days

The Manage Members section of SMF makes that easy. You can just sort descending order on Last Online field. Of course someone with Admin access would need to do it.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 11:31:12 PM »
Now down to 6 to reach that magic number!  :shock:

It looks like a little over 50% of the members have 1 or more posts.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »
Based on forum stats it looks like the site will reach 10K members within the next few months. I wonder who it will be. I wonder if it will happen by the end of 2015.

Congrats! Well, I was only about a week off lol!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »
Well, looks like New York is the lucky winner, err 10000th, welcome Kenneth =D>

Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »
Yes, our stats now show
Total Members: 10000  •  Total Posts: 267130  •  Total Topics: 27302
kenneth_chiu, our newest member.

Welcome to kenneth_chiu as our 10,000th member :)

In other stats, our top posters are
267130 Posts in 27302 Topics by 10000 Members.

SlowModem      6483
Bushman          5512
dalecoy           5252
DanS              5164
saratogaWX     5005
Farmtalk          4406
mackbig          4121
cospringswx     3858
DaculaWeather 3009
Downlinerz2     2929

The top 10 topic starters are
SlowModem      618
Farmtalk          601
saratogaWX     457
kaymann         423
SLOweather     409
Scalphunter     348
ocala              323
Downlinerz2      313
miraculon         308
cospringswx     289

We'll celebrate the 10yr anniversary of the startup of WXforum.net from the ashes of weatherforum.net on July 26, 2016.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

anything