Author Topic: Data logging/distribution for a new VP2 owner  (Read 4690 times)

Offline JSMorytko

Data logging/distribution for a new VP2 owner
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »
I'm new to weather stations and just received a VP2 for Xmas. It's up and running standalone but I have lots of permanent site work to do. I'm trying to decide what the most flexible and least cost way is to get my data onto publicly accessible location(s) including CWOP, Wunderground and eventually my own web host. If I correctly understand the many helpful posts I've read here then there seem to be 2 leading relatively easy-to-implement options:

1) Weather Link IP 6555 which pushes your data directly to the Davis Weatherlink server (connects only to your Internet router). It will optionally push your data to a few other sites with little end-user configuration required. Cost roughly $200 for the software and Ethernet data logger - wired only, no wireless. I suspect it should use less bandwidth (if that's an issue) as your data is distributed from the Weatherlink site to other servers. Weatherlink data presentation is somewhat bland as compared to a number of other hosting options but it's pretty much a no-brainer installation.

2) Weather Link 6510USB, TP-Link MR3020, and Meteobridge license: this combo will push your data to many sites with more presentation/options. The 6510USB connects directly to the MR3020 which connects to your router via either Ethernet *or* wireless network making it very flexible for locating the VP2 console. It's not a turnkey solution but still simple with only limited technical skills required to configure it from your browser. Respective costs $110 + <$40 + $67 = $217. Subscription fee for Davis server is optional but I'm not sure it would work with Meteobridge. Potentially higher bandwidth use as it sends data  directly to each hosting server. Meteobridge has many add'l features for more sophisticated users. Note that one could use or substitute a WLIP 6555 (or use an existing one) for the 6510USB at higher initial cost.

It is quite likely that I've overlooked something or even completely misunderstood the requirements for the options above. I'm hoping, with your help and reassurance that I'm on-track so that I can purchase one of the above options in the very near future. My short-term goal is to get connected to at least CWOP and Wunderground. Longer term I'll  push my data to my own website perhaps with a webcam in the future. I plan to use some of the many available tools I've read about here (e.g. Cumulus) to create page(s) on a website. I'm somewhat geeky and comfortable managing a few websites (with Dreamweaver). Naturally I'm trying to avoid having to re-purchase the key networking components by looking ahead to future needs.

These forums are a wealth of information and I'm trying to leverage your collectively vast experience in hopes of getting a useful site up and running. Thanks in advance for help and suggestions!

Steve
Steve Morytko
Ashford CT

Davis Vantage Pro2;

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Data logging/distribution for a new VP2 owner
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:45:37 AM »
The easiest and cheapest solution is to get the usb logger which comes with Weatherlink software.  Plug it up, install the software, publish to internet. (this option requires a computer running all the time)

Of course, the IP will publish to the Weatherlink site, and I think that info can be pointed to WU.  But I don't have the IP version, so I'm only repeating what I've heard about it.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
If you have a computer that is on 24/7 (or buy a cheap one to devote just to weather stuff) then:

The absolutely most flexible solution is WeatherLink 6510USB, and any one of the dozen available weather software programs. 

[The included WeatherLink software is an easy way to get started, and you can decide later to change to something "fancier"]

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
I've got my VP2 connected to my computer through the USB logger and it's running smoothly. My computer runs Weather Display 10.37 Build 79 which I absolutely love. The program is 70$ for a lifetime usage. Has lots of fun features. Even includes it's own web cam program which I love playing with. Brian of Weather Display is also here on the forum and is petty good at answering any questions. I've never encountered a problem with Weather Display that couldn't be fixed after 1 or 2 emails.

Just be sure and read the instructions on the Weather Link logger and power down the console before inserting the logger otherwise you might fry it.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
If I were you I would use the USB or serial.  Also IIRC you cannot  upload to Davis site without their hardware.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
  Also IIRC you cannot  upload to Davis site without their hardware.

If you're referring to uploading to WeatherLink.com --

http://davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06558

...which does not require the WeatherLinkIP.

Offline JSMorytko

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
Many thanks to all who have responded so far. I've ordered the 6510USB data logger ... and I'll be careful to power down before installing it!

Can someone tell me if Weatherlink, which comes with the 6510USB, will permit me to upload data directly to CWOP, WU, and others without a subscription to the Davis server? If not I'll need to subscribe ($30/yr) or find other software that will (Weather Display, Meteobridge, ...).

Steve
Steve Morytko
Ashford CT

Davis Vantage Pro2;

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Make sure you select Serial in your initial Weatherlink software setup even though you have a USB datalogger.  It must be set as serial if you want to use third-party program.  There is a WU app that will let USB/Weatherlink software upload to WU but can't recall if it also uploads to CWOP.  Most of the 3rd-party programs will upload to WU, CWOP and others (i.e. Cumulus does to WU, CWOP, PWS, Weatherbug, WOW, and also can upload a file for use by AWEKAS) so you should not need a Davis subscription.

Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »

Can someone tell me if Weatherlink, which comes with the 6510USB, will permit me to upload data directly to CWOP, WU, and others without a subscription to the Davis server?

Yes to WU and CWOP, as well as to your own "personal web site".

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
Make sure you select Serial in your initial Weatherlink software setup even though you have a USB datalogger.  It must be set as serial if you want to use third-party program.  There is a WU app that will let USB/Weatherlink software upload to WU but can't recall if it also uploads to CWOP.  Most of the 3rd-party programs will upload to WU, CWOP and others (i.e. Cumulus does to WU, CWOP, PWS, Weatherbug, WOW, and also can upload a file for use by AWEKAS) so you should not need a Davis subscription.

Paul

You could also use WUHU which is absolutely free.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 07:45:33 PM »
  Also IIRC you cannot  upload to Davis site without their hardware.

If you're referring to uploading to WeatherLink.com --

http://davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06558

...which does not require the WeatherLinkIP.

I stand corrected.  Thank you.  But I still would not pay to upload to Davis.  ;)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Dave47

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »
Hi all, UK newbie here!  :shock:

I've been reading up on Davis gear for some time (including many threads here - very helpful they are too) and intend to get a VP2 with some add-ons this month.

One of the key decisions I have to make is the subject of this thread - which datalogger. I just thought I'd mention that although the  6510USB is definitely the least expensive one to buy, the IP 6555 can do everything the 6510USB can do and more, using the Weatherlink software provided i.e. it will upload continuously to the Weatherlink website and interface with a PC as well, via your local network if you use Weatherlink software. Weatherlink website apparently provides additional archival backup too, storing four times the amount of data that the datalogger can store and thus providing additional backup should the PC be offline e.g. while away from home. I'm not sure that all the above has come across in the thread so far, so I need to check that I've got it right (which is far from certain!).

The downside (apart from  cost) is that, according to John Dann's site:

third-party software must explicitly support the 6555 logger for full and robust logger operation - compatibility with the 6510 series of Weatherlink loggers alone is insufficient. The VirtualVP utility (v1.2.1 and later) is now compatible with the 6555 logger and should provide a workaround for interfacing the 6555 logger to otherwise incompatible software programs)

... and there is a possible issue with VirtualVP mentioned on that webpage.

But for anyone who doesn't want to have a PC running 24/7 and who doesn't mind the extra cost, and using Weatherlink software or doing the workaround, the IP 6555 logger is well worth considering as it can do more than 6510.

Davis do really need to do some hardware updating here, though, from what I've read - such tiny '20th century' memory chips etc.- and the additional temperature unit limitation (integer data only) should have been addressed too (I might have bought one otherwise). Oh well.

I hope someone will put me right if any of the above is wrong, and with whatever I've missed, as decision time approaches!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:39:28 PM by Dave47 »

Offline JSMorytko

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
Hi Dave,

Not speaking from any first-hand experience (I'm the OP and a newbie myself) but the loggers (all of them) buffer significant amounts of data (many days to months depending on your sampling rate!) so having your PC off for relatively short amounts of time (days) shouldn't be an issue. Also, there is an upper limit (2 years I think) to archival storage at the Davis site hence the need to store it elsewhere (your workstation and the cloud to be safe). Perhaps most importantly, as you've mentioned, not all 3rd party software interfaces with the WLIP 6555 as it's different from the 6510USB. If you're not planning to use 3rd party software WLIP 6555 makes sense. But if you're even remotely considering 3rd party software the 6510USB, with a $30/yr Davis hosting subscription, may make more sense if you care about $$$.

Now if you're really concerned about losing data or you want your station data current and always online you also need to put several devices on a UPS. You'd want whatever powers your logger there along with your ISP's modem/router and any other key network device (router/hub). If you're hosting data where Davis doesn't send it, a Meteobridge type solution (more features and nearly the same cost as WLIP 6555) with very minimal draw on your UPS, probably makes sense. If you're starting out you may not want/need that but it's a simple migration path to consider for the future.

Lots to think about and do as I only have my VP2 sensors on a 5' makeshift pole in a less than ideal location in the yard. More work on that end to make my station collect higher quality data. And then I might want to install a camera ... no end to where this might go :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:24:26 AM by JSMorytko »
Steve Morytko
Ashford CT

Davis Vantage Pro2;

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
I would not and do not use the Davis site.  WU and other sites are far better and just as easy if not easier to use.     I also disagree that the IP logger is the beat buy. The USB logger in my opinion is far more flexible in what it can do and the software available for use with it.

Offline D000D

Re: Re: Re: Data logging/distribution for a new VP2 owner
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
I would not and do not use the Davis site.  WU and other sites are far better and just as easy if not easier to use.     I also disagree that the IP logger is the beat buy. The USB logger in my opinion is far more flexible in what it can do and the software available for use with it.

Except that your PC must be on 24/7. I am very happy with my IP data logger. It is always archiving my data on the Davis site whether my PC is on or not. And it is extremely easy to configure the Davis site to send your data to WU, CWOP, and GLOBAL.

If you want to leave your PC on 24/7 you can access your data via the IP data logger over your local network and then have your PC process the data and send it on to a personal web page or other sites bypassing the Davis site altogether. Seems like the best of all worlds and more flexible to me. That's just my opinion, of course :-)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
You don't need a PC 24/7 to access wx info.  Lots of lower cost, low power options.  That don't need a costly yearly membership.

Offline Dave47

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Seems to me that the IP datalogger can do everything the usb model can do and more - unless you want to run non-Davis weather software.  But it costs more to buy. As far as I can see, the  advantages and disavantages of the IP logger are:

Advantages:

Easiest way to get your realtime weather data on the net (via the Davis WL site).
Use of Davis WL website is free.
Davis WL site allows onward uploads to WU, CWOP and GLOBAL (but not WOW).
Also does what the USB version does on home PC (but only with Davis WL software).
Does not require 24/7 access to a home computer for continuous realtime web updates
WL site stores 4x the archive data of the home loggers (max. 2 years).
Uses less  power than a home computer (0.5W versus 10W for my old netbook)
May be more stable in 24/7 use than any (say Windows) computer (?)
Takes up no space compared to a computer.

Disadvantages

Costs more than the USB logger.
Incompatible with most or all independent computer software
Upload access to fewer weather sites (e.g. no WOW).
Draws more power than the USB logger so Console now needs a continuous AC power supply.

I'm sure there's more! And I still haven't decided, so may go ahead with ordering a VP2 first. But that's a whole new story.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:01:14 AM by Dave47 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
That's a good summary. But WLIP is not necessarily incompatible with 3rd party software, though it may be necessary to accept occasional glitches in operation if you leave the uploads to wl.com enabled or alternatively and in extremis disable the direct uploads. So it's not that operation is impossible with other software, more that it may be at least a little less robust. If you're tempted in this direction you may need to run trials and decide for yourself whether or not it works for you.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline D000D

Re:
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
I was able to access my weather station data on the IP data logger using Cumulus. I assume other 3rd party software should be able to access the IP data logger, but I have not tested any others. You do need to be able to set the IP address of the data logger in the 3rd party software, so you should check the software you would like to use to make sure that is supported. In Cumulus you can also set an internet off time (like 5sec every minute) so the data logger will have time to still archive your data on the Davis site. I haven't checked if Cumulus can upload to WOW specifically, but it can upload to other sites. If you are interested you can download Cumulus and do some investigating and also check the documentation (search for sandaysoft.com or cumulus)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »
I haven't checked if Cumulus can upload to WOW specifically, but it can upload to other sites.
Yes it can upload to WOW, as well as WU, CWOP, WB, and to AWEKAS by file upload.
www.sandaysoft.com
www.sandaysoft.com/forum

Paul

anything