Author Topic: New Acurite radiation shield for the tower and lightning detectors  (Read 5891 times)

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
Re: New Acurite radiation shield for the tower and lightning detectors
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »
That's a great add to their product line...

Now if only:

1. You could submit the shielded tower's temperature and/or humidity sensors instead of the 5-1's to WU.  If you have multiple sensors you should be able to pick and chose what sensor readings to send to WU.  In AZ in the intense sun we have and exacerbated by the challenges posed suburban/HOA siting it stands to figure that your 5-1 readings may not be the best for WU reports.   I.E. you may have your 5-1 30'ft in the air where it gets direct sun all day but want to submit your heat shielded tower sensor temp instead of the 5-1's 5 to 7 degree too high temp.  Overall, this feature by itself could lead to many more gold-starred Acurite 5-1s on WU which could only be good PR even if a bit sleight-of-handish if you know what i mean.

2. You could set the  5-1 temp correction for 4 hr intervals so that you could in effect account for differences in direct sun exposure.  That way you could 0 the diff at night and adjust it seasonally for the changes in daylight hours, customize it for the sun travel during the day etc.

3. You could add an after-market 5-1 shield for places like AZ.  Something like a two-part ultra-white rubber.foam form fitting that you can snap around the main body leaving the solar panels and anenometer exposed of course.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:09:44 AM by sundevil01010101 »
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 08:56:24 PM »
That's a great add to their product line...

Now if only:

1. You could submit the shielded tower's temperature and/or humidity sensors instead of the 5-1's to WU.  If you have multiple sensors you should be able to pick and chose what sensor readings to send to WU.  In AZ in the intense sun we have and exacerbated by the challenges posed suburban/HOA siting it stands to figure that your 5-1 readings may not be the best for WU reports.   I.E. you may have your 5-1 30'ft in the air where it gets direct sun all day but want to submit your heat shielded tower sensor temp instead of the 5-1's 5 to 7 degree too high temp.  Overall, this feature by itself could lead to many more gold-starred Acurite 5-1s on WU which could only be good PR even if a bit sleight-of-handish if you know what i mean.

2. You could set the  5-1 temp correction for 4 hr intervals so that you could in effect account for differences in direct sun exposure.  That way you could 0 the diff at night and adjust it seasonally for the changes in daylight hours, customize it for the sun travel during the day etc.

3. You could add an after-market 5-1 shield for places like AZ.  Something like a two-part ultra-white rubber.foam form fitting that you can snap around the main body leaving the solar panels and anenometer exposed of course.

For #1, you can....if you use Kevin's software.   I use my tower sensor for my primary temp/hum sensor, and my 5 in 1 for rain and wind.  If Acurite ever comes out with an anemometer only, I'll get it, along with a new rain gauge and do away with the 5 in 1.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 12:01:19 AM »
You can use a Meteobridge to min 'n match, too.  I use my shielded tower to report temp/humidity/dew point and the 5in1 for wind & rain.  Pressure, of course, comes from the hub itself.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 01:36:22 PM »
Was about to order, and it's sold out. :(

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
I thought I would share my experience so far after a period of over a months use of the radiation shield. I was a bit doubtful when I first got it, because the thing is so small, I thought there was no way this would do the job, but now that I have tested it for a while, I really like it. I like the fact that it seems to get plenty of air circulating inside it, enough so that the daytime highs are 1 degree cooler than the 5 in 1, (sometimes 2 or 3) and humidity readings are much quicker to respond than they were inside my large homemade shield. I do notice as the sun rises in the morning, my temp reading is higher than everything by sometimes 4 or 5 F, but then it levels off and others catch up and pass me. This is in full sunshine all day. At night, mine cools down faster than everyone also.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
I've had mine for a few months and really like it.  I use the temp & humidity data from the shielded tower sensor to report to WU (via Meteobridge).

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
Bump...

Any new update guys now that it's been awhile, does this shield seem to be working? I'm reading mixed results here.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access