Author Topic: Upcoming Birthdays  (Read 6898 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Upcoming Birthdays
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
OK, these days I consider computer games an absolute waste of time... basically, I know I am a workoholic, but I am ok with doing stuff for myself, I dont need to work all the time, but... but I have a problem with doing something, which doesnt "create/produce something"...

It is hard to explain what I mean, basically, for example I work on my template in my free time. I make sure I have some free time and dont work all the time, but this actually creates "something" (in this case my template). When I was younger I was an editor in our uni magazine and again, I did that in my free time and it was ok for me - it created something... but I have problems for example watching a movie or a TV series... it doesnt "produce" anything.. same with computer games... you play and then you stop and nothing is left.

But the reason I am now saying this is because I consider computer games a waste of time and I admit that when I was younger, but I mean a lot younger, I did play them a little bit too. I never played the whole day, but now when I think about it, it was probably more about my general fascination in computers and since we did not have internet back then, there wasnt much else to do on the pc than play games... But I could never understand and still cant, how can some people enjoy playing games such as Doom (back then) or any other game where you basically just walk and shoot people... I did play games where you also "killed", but it was slightly different - I liked for example Age of Empires and I also played sports games - NHL 98, Fifa 98, Need for Speed II. Those are the ones I remember, I only played till about 2001 when we got internet... it was very slow, but still it was a big change.

I cannot understand how can someone enjoy just walking in a virtual world and shoot people, throw bombs at them, some of these games are so brutal it is hard to believe. And then one cannot be so surprised when some of these individuals actually end up doing this in the real world... and you then hear about a student killing half of his class...

What I also find ridiculous is that more and more often you see for example a car accident or any other accident where somebody is hurt and people around instead of helping them take out their mobile phone out of their pocket and start recording or taking pictures....

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Upcoming Birthdays
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »
OK, these days I consider computer games an absolute waste of time... basically, I know I am a workoholic, but I am ok with doing stuff for myself, I dont need to work all the time, but... but I have a problem with doing something, which doesnt "create/produce something"...

It is hard to explain what I mean, basically, for example I work on my template in my free time. I make sure I have some free time and dont work all the time, but this actually creates "something" (in this case my template). When I was younger I was an editor in our uni magazine and again, I did that in my free time and it was ok for me - it created something... but I have problems for example watching a movie or a TV series... it doesnt "produce" anything.. same with computer games... you play and then you stop and nothing is left.

But the reason I am now saying this is because I consider computer games a waste of time and I admit that when I was younger, but I mean a lot younger, I did play them a little bit too. I never played the whole day, but now when I think about it, it was probably more about my general fascination in computers and since we did not have internet back then, there wasnt much else to do on the pc than play games... But I could never understand and still cant, how can some people enjoy playing games such as Doom (back then) or any other game where you basically just walk and shoot people... I did play games where you also "killed", but it was slightly different - I liked for example Age of Empires and I also played sports games - NHL 98, Fifa 98, Need for Speed II. Those are the ones I remember, I only played till about 2001 when we got internet... it was very slow, but still it was a big change.

I cannot understand how can someone enjoy just walking in a virtual world and shoot people, throw bombs at them, some of these games are so brutal it is hard to believe. And then one cannot be so surprised when some of these individuals actually end up doing this in the real world... and you then hear about a student killing half of his class...

What I also find ridiculous is that more and more often you see for example a car accident or any other accident where somebody is hurt and people around instead of helping them take out their mobile phone out of their pocket and start recording or taking pictures....

You're not alone. I have to be doing something even in my spare time. I got fat 2 years ago and in my spare time I work out to try and lose it, and I play it as a numbers game. The more I work the higher the calories burned etc. I work on my website for fun, and enjoy downloading and analyzing old radar data in my spare time. My doing stuff in my spare time is probably why I cannot pick up ladies because that tends to be a lot of leisure; a different leisure time that I am not accustomed to.

In regards to your other idea. I bought Grand Theft Auto for $5, and after 20 minutes took it out of my console and never played it again. It is horrifying and unsurprising why people are doing the things they do, but I can guarantee that that particular game has something to do with it. I occasionally play video games but it is limited, I usually must be doing something productive, even if it is reading.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com