Author Topic: Where to find NWS official rain reports? (not CoCoRaHS)  (Read 1272 times)

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
Where to find NWS official rain reports? (not CoCoRaHS)
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »
I had a malfunction with my weather station's rain gauge the other evening (birds, now fixed). and I know that a neighbor a half mile away does the daily reporting for the NWS with the large rain gauge.  Where is that information on the NWS site so I can see what he recorded for comparison?  I already checked CoCoRaHS and his reports are not listed there.

TIA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Where to find NWS official rain reports? (not CoCoRaHS)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »
As far as I know, the only 'Official' reports are those from NWS on-site stations, so you may not find his posted anywhere like that.  They have a couple of other volunteer programs I can't remember the names of right now.

Why not just ask the neighbor?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »
I had a malfunction with my weather station's rain gauge the other evening (birds, now fixed). and I know that a neighbor a half mile away does the daily reporting for the NWS with the large rain gauge.  Where is that information on the NWS site so I can see what he recorded for comparison?  I already checked CoCoRaHS and his reports are not listed there.

TIA

Is this the one? I use this Iowa site to find my local COOP data for comparison to mine.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/COOP/cat.phtml?station=BRMK1&year=2016&network=KS_COOP

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »
Easiest way to get first order and Coop data may be to use the NOWData page available from all local WFO web pages. Here's the NWS Topeka link:
http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=top

You can hit "view map" and then "show more stations" to see more including CoCoRaHS. CoCoRaHS data is also being archive at NCDC...er make that NCEI. :-)
Bill

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 10:36:18 AM »
Is this the one? I use this Iowa site to find my local COOP data for comparison to mine.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/COOP/cat.phtml?station=BRMK1&year=2016&network=KS_COOP

Greg H.

Yes, that is his station.  Thanks much!

The gauge in front of my house showed 0.92 Wednesday evening, 24 August, after a severe storm blew through around 5:30 PM.   My WX station was plugged with bird droppings (the screen piece was missing but I found it about twenty feet away and I added the bird spikes) and when it drained through it recorded 0.40" with an additional 0.25" falling after I corrected things from a second line of showers.  I suspected there should have been more from the first reading as once I cleared the clog I suspect the tipping bucket didn't keep up!  My station also recorded an additional 0.07" between 6 AM and 7 AM on the morning of 25 August so that would have my station reporting 0.72" by the time he did the daily record and recorded 0.88"

The gauge out front is close enough to the house that with the strong northwest wind of the first storm it would have caught a lot of rain that blew off the roof.

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »
Easiest way to get first order and Coop data may be to use the NOWData page available from all local WFO web pages. Here's the NWS Topeka link:
http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=top

You can hit "view map" and then "show more stations" to see more including CoCoRaHS. CoCoRaHS data is also being archive at NCDC...er make that NCEI. :-)

That is quite helpful.  I poked around the NWS site but didn't know that NOWData would be what I was looking for.  Beautifully obfuscated by the bureaucrats.   :lol:

I see his summary for July is 2.69" while my station recorded 2.48".  That's within 10% and is acceptable to me.