Author Topic: Another snow question  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Another snow question
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »
Being in a "seldom snows" type zone, how would one utilize the gauge? I know they say to take the 'innards' out in the cold season and for snow reporting but it's usually rain at my location and maybe one or two small snow events.

Would the way to approach that be to leave it all assembled and take it out after it snowed?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Another snow question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
I believe the recommended way would be to remove the cone and the inner plastic opening 

then bring it inside to melt and measure the volume with the graduated cylinder type insert.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
We get very little snowfall here in northern Nevada but in the winter I always remove the inner tube and funnel leaving just the 4" container mounted on my post. I then bring it inside to melt whatever snow has collected and pour the liquid into the smaller tube to make my measurements.

If you leave the inner tube (and especially the funnel) installed it will take very little snowfall to fill up the funnel and you will not get an accurate reading of actual precipitation.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »
As mentioned, the outer gauge is left out to collect snow which is then brought inside and melted down to measure the water equivalent of the new snow. New snowfall and total snow depth are also measured using snow boards whenever possible. More info here.
Bill