Author Topic: WU cam "name" vs. "ID" - which to use as FTP username?  (Read 588 times)

Offline ThatPhxGuy

WU cam "name" vs. "ID" - which to use as FTP username?
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »
I inadvertently (read: before coffee) deleted one of my two WU cam devices (originally added many years ago, back when WU was its own company).

I re-added it, giving it the same name it had before.
Looking at the Mange Devices page now, I see two fields: One called "name" and another called "ID".

Which of these two fields is the FTP username? I've tried both but am getting what I think are login errors (the transfer is actually performed by curl coming from a Raspberry PI).

Many years ago when I originally added the cams I seem to remember there being an hours to days lag between adding them on WU's site and actually being able to upload images. That may be what's happening here, but since there are two choices for the username I'd like to know which one to put in my script.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WU cam "name" vs. "ID" - which to use as FTP username?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 12:31:36 PM »
Use ID (as in CAM ID - case sensitive) and WU password (that is why key says NA). The name is just a description that can have spaces.

You are right about the needing to wait before.

Things are a little hoowee still. Lots of people reporting this issue. I'd wait it out a while (weeks) and see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:37:00 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ThatPhxGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
Thanks. My first choice was the ID field and, as you say, the name probably allows spaces and other punctuation which would never fly in a username. I'll keep that one in the script and just check periodically to see when it starts working.

Offline ThatPhxGuy

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
Quick update: WU is still refusing the connection to the re-added cam. Connection for the 2nd cam is still working fine. Perhaps some day they'll fix this, but hope has faded.

Offline ThatPhxGuy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:23:56 PM »
Just thought I'd continue documenting this with fresh silliness: I deleted the cam that was never allowing FTP. Down to a single cam now. My dashboard for the site says "WEBCAM IS OFFLINE. This Station's Webcam is currently offline. If you want to see the Webcam image history check it out here."

The fun part is when you click the "here" link, you go to the cam page where you can view its timelapse videos just fine. So they're uploading fine and are being stored fine. They're simply not making it up to the main site. My goodness, they have made quite a mess.

Offline ThatPhxGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 03:04:21 PM »
Hopefully the final update. Image now on main dashboard page as well, as it should be. Their bounding box is square, and cams don't generally generate square images, so it's cropped left & right. But, there's something there at least.

anything