Author Topic: What effect does La Nina / El Nino have on the UK????  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Aaron9890

What effect does La Nina / El Nino have on the UK????
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »
This is one of the few things i am not quite clear about in meteorology.

What does a weak La Nina / El Nino and a strong La Nina / El Nino suggest for the UK weather??/ I know a lot of different factors come into it but generally speaking.

I appreciate any help..

Thanks. :-)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: What effect does La Nina / El Nino have on the UK????
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
Colder than normal temps.  You guys are a  ways away from the ENSO event so not as directly affected like say, Australia or US West Coast.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »
Bushman is largely right, however La Nina typically results in a cooler global temperature so it can have an effect.  If I were in the UK I'd be much more focused on the North Atlantic Oscillation which tells a much bigger story for your weather. Right now the NOA is very positive meaning the storm track is probably a little further east and north for the UK.  Of course that can change. the models have done an awful job with the pattern the last 60-90 days though. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Aaron9890

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 12:40:06 PM »
Thanks guys!!! so a weak la nina means it is more likely to be favorable weather??? Is it the same for el nino??? cause i was looking at this chart for the general nino trend and it looks to be weak for the year coming. I know is changes all the time so its not certain, but it just so i have a general idea.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
El Nino is not the same as La Nina - they are sort of opposites.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!