Author Topic: WEather Underground Support, Features and Reliability  (Read 11280 times)

Offline Breezy Point

WEather Underground Support, Features and Reliability
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:07:45 PM »
I am getting more fed up with Weather Underground than ever. They appear to be ending support for just about everything. This week rapid fire stopped working. They removed the name of my town and now show another town on my page. Doppler Detected Storms have been gone for a long time. I am seriously thinking of pulling the plug on my weather station In protest.

I don't need them and am a member of Madis so I can see my data elsewhere.

Is it just me or have they forgotten the people they make their money on?

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WEather Underground Support, Features and Reliability
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:18:51 PM »
I've been a WU contributor since the late 90's. It's never been easy dealing with them. In the past they've gotten things fixed but I've never had timely support from them. I push the data to them and call it done.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:38:49 AM »
Ditto :)

Features gradually being discontinued, servers being less and less reliable, support absolutely appaling (if there is any at all, for example, they deleted all FB comments from users in bulk, just so that they dont have to answer questions or deal with problems).

If I didnt have to use WU because of a few users who rely on it and use my template, I would never open/use that page again. I honestly hope that the end of WU is not far and in that case Im sure someone would come with a similar idea.

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:54:06 AM »

If I didnt have to use WU because of a few users who rely on it and use my template, I would never open/use that page again.

Please
Don't do that now, wait until I find a solution for my PWS or until I buy another one.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 06:10:08 AM »
I will not, as I said, I will keep on using it because of people like you, but if it was just up to me.... I would say bye bye to WU like 2 yrs ago

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:16:02 AM »
and we must thank you warmly for it

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
Hello.

I know I don't post to WXForum very often but I look in periodically for current issues and developments.

Since WU was bought by the Weather Channel their technical support (along with their user mail and photo gallery) has disappeared.  My current complaint is with their lack of reliable WebCam support but my requests for assistance are being ignored.  I write to them and get nothing back. 

This is frustrating because their PWS support used to be outstanding.

I am seriously looking at other options for my data contribution.  I have invested a lot of time, effort, and expense in this and I get nothing back from WU except ad-free access (I have always hated their ad content, btw) and neighbors who say "Thanks!"

Why should I pay to contribute to Ambient?  That makes no sense.  I looked at WeatherBug years ago and even though they are recognized (at least in my region) and enjoys a good reputation, their network is slim.  Are there other options?  (I already contribute to CWOP) 

I have been an excellent supporter of WU for a long time.  At every turn, I would promote their site.  I was one of their beta testers and a good contributor of development and enhancement ideas.  But I'm losing faith in them now.

(I guess I'm venting, aren't I?)

So, I guess I know when to stop a foolish rant.

Thanks,
RRWCF

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »
enlightenment....

I know exactly what you mean, I felt the same way two years ago when trying to help them and not getting any reply whatsoever. Lost case sort of...

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »
I am getting more fed up with Weather Underground than ever. They appear to be ending support for just about everything. This week rapid fire stopped working. They removed the name of my town and now show another town on my page. Doppler Detected Storms have been gone for a long time. I am seriously thinking of pulling the plug on my weather station In protest.

I don't need them and am a member of Madis so I can see my data elsewhere.

Is it just me or have they forgotten the people they make their money on?

Breezy Point (and WXF denizens),
My comment here may have been covered elsewhere on wxf, but I've been away a while and might have missed it.
Per the highlighted quote above, WU may just be reflecting what appear to be some extensive changes by NOAA itself that perhaps y'all have noticed and/or already commented on.

Anyhow, I've noticed that beginning a few months ago, NOAA has done some things involving what appear to be consolidating former outlying locations that formerly tied to smaller ASOS's and airports into just one NOAA site. At the same time, some of those smaller WX stations that used to show a 'history' display ('previous 2/3 days' data) which was often updated frequently, depending on the site (at 10-20 minute intervals) now are updated just hourly.
This loss makes decent WU PWS readings even more useful. Yeah, I know there's MADIS, etc., but it's clumsy to use, especially for non-wxnuts.

For example, the NOAA pinpoint for my favorite locations used to report wx data from close by wx stations, now they default to major ASOS's quite some distance away.
This really irritates me. I suspect it reflects a budget-cutting process imposed on NOAA...
I'll give a critical (to me) location: Rockport, TX, where my sailboat* is/was? I always had a browser tab up on a NOAA CRP WFO pinpoint on my marina slip. It gave wx readings from the KRKP ASOS, close enough. Sometime back, that pinpoint forecast I depended on started giving readings from Robstown, TX, a long ways away, and inland. WTF?

These changes at NOAA may be manifesting themselves as they filter through whatever WU derives from NOAA, and therefore not WU's fault. Not that WU isn't otherwise devolving in a bad way. Probably an inevitable result of it's acquisition by a 'cxxp' organization like the TWC.

* I would like to write a bunch on Hurricane Harvey here if I get time. I've had some very close contact with that SOB of late.
Y'all may have seen some drone 'destruction' footage from Rockport on the TV the last few days (taken by a stormchaser named Brian E., there may be others on air/online, I don't have cable or sat).
In one view, the marina where my boat is was shown below, the scene of devastation was incredible. I had left that exact spot on Friday after doing what I could for the boat, as late as I could, in order to get out of Rockport safely and go home.
I'm very worried for some dockmates who were going to "ride it out" aboard their boats. I advised them very strenuously, based on my minute-to-minute monitoring of Harvey, that Harvey would strike the marina as a Cat 3-4+, despite what the broadcast/media forecast stated it would be, as a Cat 1. I left for home and they remained at the dock.
I saw no undamaged boats or buildings in that drone footage, and many boats and structures appeared to be 'missing'. Even the marina's brick chithouse:sad:

If anybody here has any links to pics or video of the Rockport, TX, Cove Harbor marina(s) area, I'd appreciate seeing them. I have no idea if my sailboat survived, and access to the area is restricted, I may try to go there this weekend.
Mahalo

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 04:56:04 PM »
Hello.

I know I don't post to WXForum very often but I look in periodically for current issues and developments.

Since WU was bought by the Weather Channel their technical support (along with their user mail and photo gallery) has disappeared.  My current complaint is with their lack of reliable WebCam support but my requests for assistance are being ignored.  I write to them and get nothing back. 

This is frustrating because their PWS support used to be outstanding.

I am seriously looking at other options for my data contribution.  I have invested a lot of time, effort, and expense in this and I get nothing back from WU except ad-free access (I have always hated their ad content, btw) and neighbors who say "Thanks!"

Why should I pay to contribute to Ambient?  That makes no sense.  I looked at WeatherBug years ago and even though they are recognized (at least in my region) and enjoys a good reputation, their network is slim.  Are there other options?  (I already contribute to CWOP) 

I have been an excellent supporter of WU for a long time.  At every turn, I would promote their site.  I was one of their beta testers and a good contributor of development and enhancement ideas.  But I'm losing faith in them now.

(I guess I'm venting, aren't I?)

So, I guess I know when to stop a foolish rant.

Thanks,
RRWCF
You could try here. Been sending my data there for a while.
https://www.pwsweather.com/
As for WU you have to take into account that it's the parent company that funnels the money down to them. If they don't feel good customer service is important then that's where it starts. They have got rid of Wunderphotos and also weather radio. I'm sure because of costs. Before  WU was bought out there were a top notch company with great customer service. First it was TWC and who ever owned them and  now IBM I believe is the owner. I doubt they will ever go out of business because there is money to be made with all that weather data they have. Direct your anger at the company that actually owns them and is pulling the strings because it's WU in name only. The original company died several years ago when it was bought out.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »
Once again this year WU is no longer giving college and pro football kickoff weather on game day.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline eyecue

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »
Since I have direct email to these dudes, I cut and pasted some of the remarks from forums to them.  Did not say what forums though.  They replied with "I absolutely hear what you are saying, and we are on your side on all these issues.

It is taking us longer that we would hope to get to everything we want to get to, because we are working on ways to completely rebuild the infrastructure supporting the site, and in particular the members and their tools, like the weather stations and webcams. It is a slow process, but it will enable us to be much more responsive to change and more stable and reliable once the work is complete.

An unfortunate side effect of rebuilding is blinking lights and bugs as we get the new plumbing working, but we are working on it diligently with an eye on the light ahead.

Our motto has always been "weather for all", and being able to provide a platform for station and camera owners to share their data with their neighbors is really the heart of that vision.

I apologize wholeheartedly to folks who are feeling unheard or neglected by us, we are here for you, and we will continue to work to listen and respond to your needs, and provide you with the tools you need to watch and share the weather.
"
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
^^  That's called 'lip service'.  Ya' dun got blowed off Bub.

Offline eyecue

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
Opinion and you know what they say about opinions
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »
I give them credit for responding. Who knows, may be better things to come down the road.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
"An unfortunate side effect of rebuilding is blinking lights and bugs as we get the new plumbing working, but we are working on it diligently with an eye on the light ahead and like totally gnarly stuff fer sure dude.  Hey, who got the pizza bites all over this server case thing over here under the minifridge"

Mutlibillion dollar company?

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »

Thanks for your response and background information. 

I looked at pwsweather.  There are not very many participants in there.  I've always liked being part of a large network of PWS. 

Do you have any other suggestions?  Do you contribute your data to multiple networks?

rrwcf

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »

I looked at pwsweather.  There are not very many participants in there.  I've always liked being part of a large network of PWS. 

Do you have any other suggestions?  Do you contribute your data to multiple networks?

rrwcf
I send data to WU, pwsweather.com, and CWOP.
When I started with pws there wasn't that many either but it has grown overtime. It will never be as popular as WU because it doesn't have name recognition.
There is also weathercloud but they have adds on their page. Something I'm against if I am sending you data. Weathercloud also has another contributor in your area.
There is also weatherlink.com. They have a pretty good network and there is a station in your area also. Only problem is they charge for the service.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »

rrwcf
When I started with pws there wasn't that many either but it has grown overtime. It will never be as popular as WU because it doesn't have name recognition.
There is also weathercloud but they have adds on their page. Something I'm against if I am sending you data. Weathercloud also has another contributor in your area.
There is also weatherlink.com. They have a pretty good network and there is a station in your area also. Only problem is they charge for the service.

Not only they charge for it, but it is also just for Davis. Im not a fan of ads either, but if you send data to them, what they provide to you is that you can view your stats. Obviously that on its own does not generate any money to them and they need to get it by other ways. And in case of WL you not only have ads, you actually have to pay...

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »

Just joined PWSWeather, +1 to the member list  :-)
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 11:43:54 AM »
New dashboard ugh...No tenths of a degree in temp, additional conditions several rows below temp and other things. Also using compatibility mode doesn't seem to work anymore in bringing up the old look...Amazing how just about every change they make is disliked by us users.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
New dashboard ugh...No tenths of a degree in temp, additional conditions several rows below temp and other things. Also using compatibility mode doesn't seem to work anymore in bringing up the old look...Amazing how just about every change they make is disliked by us users.

And the handy display updating timer seems to have disappeared too. Several changes popped up a week or so ago, none good; and probably even more effed up ones not obvious yet. The 'modern' hyped-up internet continues to devolve into mindless carp.
I was waiting to reboot Windows some day to make sure, sometimes certain changes don't settle out until you give Windoz a swift kick in the 'nads; but WU probably has notched down it's usability a bit more still.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:13:59 PM by Jstx »