Author Topic: Cam to mount on my 72ft antenna tower.  (Read 1889 times)

Offline K6DKO

Cam to mount on my 72ft antenna tower.
« on: February 20, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
Hi

I am looking for a camera to mount at the top of my antenna tower. I would prefer it to be poe. Recommendations??

Thanks
Kent
NC6B

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
Re: Cam to mount on my 72ft antenna tower.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:35:06 PM »
You can mount any camera on one of the poles of the mast. They make mounts for that.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:14:36 AM »
Hi

I am looking for a camera to mount at the top of my antenna tower. I would prefer it to be poe. Recommendations??

Thanks
Kent
NC6B

POEs are fine if you can boost the power to make the trip that high.  I had one up about 40' and had trouble finding an injector to do the job.  You may have to run AC part way up if you can do it safely, then mount the injector in a weathertight enclosure.  Of course you'll want a better quality camera to avoid maintenance issues.  Night vision won't matter much since the IR LEDs generally aren't much good beyond 40' or so.  I'm not sure if you want a fixed view or not.  If you do, you might want two aimed in different directions.  Mine was pan/tilt (Foscam 8910E), but no zoom.  I now have that mounted on a pole lower since I pulled the 60' tower down.  Not a great unit, but it serves my needs.

Another note about one that high up is to be aware of surroundings and field of view.  If it can 'see' the yards or houses or other people, they might complain.

Offline K6DKO

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
I just did a Google search and found the recommended max distance for POE is 100 meters. I know I will be well within that range. Im sure there are many factors that would shorten that distance.

I think Im going to go with a Foscam FI9901EP.

Good point on the neighbors, but I live in the country and I can point the camera away from anyone.

Thanks
Kent
NC6B

anything