Author Topic: CES 2018 and Davis Inst.  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: CES 2018 and Davis Inst.
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
If they are not going to update the VP2 atleast they could give up the secret to receiving the data packets so we can build our own color displays.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »
Thats been done hasn't it? Meteobridge pro can receive direct packets. http://meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 04:59:52 AM »
Wow!  13 years for the VP2 and with the CES come and gone, no refresh on the horizon.  At least it appears that way.   

That's fair comment on the console, but less so on the sensors, which have been progressively enhanced over the lifetime of the VP2, with accuracy and reliability both very significantly improved on the original model.

You're probably not going to expect much change in the shell of the weather station - an anemometer is always going to look like an anemometer (unless an expensive change to a different technology like ultrasonics can be justified); the radiation shield is always going to look similar to another shield - it's very much a form follows function device; and so on.

If you've got a well-established design for these items then why change it for the sake of it? It's the sensors inside, their accuracy, reliability and ease of maintenance etc, that have been refreshed and enhanced and, rain gauge mechanism aside (which remains a 'could do better' item), I'm not sure how you could easily improve on them for the money no matter how many refreshes you went through.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:03:14 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
Thats been done hasn't it? Meteobridge pro can receive direct packets. http://meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home

No as I understand it.....the Davis console/envoy is still needed to receive data from the ISS and is connected via USB to a Meteobridge which then sends the data via the LAN to the internet. The Meteobridge does not receive data directly from the ISS.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2018, 10:21:27 AM »
No as I understand it.....the Davis console/envoy is still needed to receive data from the ISS and is connected via USB to a Meteobridge which then sends the data via the LAN to the internet. The Meteobridge does not receive data directly from the ISS.

The product page claims to read directly from the the ISS.

http://meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Meteobridge_PRO

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »

You need to distinguish between Meteobridge and MB Pro Red. The basic MB still needs a console+logger to provide the data feed. The MB Pro Red unit has a Meteostick built in, which can receive direct from the sensor transmitters, eg the ISS.

So MB Pro Red + (wireless) ISS is a perfectly adequate system.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »

You need to distinguish between Meteobridge and MB Pro Red. The basic MB still needs a console+logger to provide the data feed. The MB Pro Red unit has a Meteostick built in, which can receive direct from the sensor transmitters, eg the ISS.

So MB Pro Red + (wireless) ISS is a perfectly adequate system.

Please forgive my ignorance as I’m still learning.  Does the built in MeteoStick replace the Datalogger in this chain?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance as I’m still learning.  Does the built in MeteoStick replace the Datalogger in this chain?

Well, kind of. The data processing is rather different in a Meteobridge Pro Red unit. The MeteoStick part (which is actually inside the Pro Red, so you don't see it) is the wireless receiver and effectively replaces the Vue or VP2 console as the wireless receiver. The main MB Pro unit then acts as a miniature computer to provide data processing to feed data on to eg various Internet sites or to another local PC (if that's what you want to do.) If you want more details, there's a write-up on our main website at:

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/meteo.htm
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »

Well, kind of. The data processing is rather different in a Meteobridge Pro Red unit. The MeteoStick part (which is actually inside the Pro Red, so you don't see it) is the wireless receiver and effectively replaces the Vue or VP2 console as the wireless receiver. The main MB Pro unit then acts as a miniature computer to provide data processing to feed data on to eg various Internet sites or to another local PC (if that's what you want to do.) If you want more details, there's a write-up on our main website at:

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/meteo.htm

Thank you!  Will give it a good read!  Just trying to figure out the easiest route for wireless.  As a follow up question, you can still keep the console in the chain if one so chooses?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »
As a follow up question, you can still keep the console in the chain if one so chooses?

Basically, yes. But I wouldn't describe it as 'in the chain'. The sensor transmitters like the ISS simply broadcast their data and you can have as many wireless receivers as you like listening in to the data transmissions. So an MB Pro Red unit would be used alongside or in parallel with one or more standard consoles. The receivers are all independent so, if you wished, you could fit one console with a logger and do something different with the output from that logger to what the MB Pro Red unit is doing. (For a basic set-up that's probably unnecessary, but there are some more advanced configurations where it might be useful.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
As a follow up question, you can still keep the console in the chain if one so chooses?

Basically, yes. But I wouldn't describe it as 'in the chain'. The sensor transmitters like the ISS simply broadcast their data and you can have as many wireless receivers as you like listening in to the data transmissions. So an MB Pro Red unit would be used alongside or in parallel with one or more standard consoles. The receivers are all independent so, if you wished, you could fit one console with a logger and do something different with the output from that logger to what the MB Pro Red unit is doing. (For a basic set-up that's probably unnecessary, but there are some more advanced configurations where it might be useful.)

Kind of like what I do - I use the MB Pro Red because I have 8 stations, the Wind and UV/Solar are separated from the ISS - 1 extra Temp station for the Garage, and 4 Soil stations to track/adjust watering in my yard. It also reports to many weather services and my website. I also have the Console running just to see the outside temp, etc. at a glance.

If you can think of a configuration, you can probably do it.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0