Author Topic: Acurite model 1036 5 in 1  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Denpat

Acurite model 1036 5 in 1
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:28 AM »
Okay... I'm going to throw this out there one more time before I throw mine away and purchase something else. I have had this unit since August 2014 and haven't had it working right yet. Everyone knows the story about the raise in temps in the afternoon, but I can't see that anyone has solved this problem. I have purchased the dual solar unit and sent it back and had it replaced. They said they were unable to repair it and sent me a new one. I also sent in the original single and had it repaired. My fan runs as it should now, but the temp rises even with the fan running. I'm talking about 8 to 10 degree rise.

I guess I don't understand how some apparently work well and others won't work at all. I have moved mine into the shade which is good for the temperature, but nothing else. It reports accurately temperature accurately in the shade.

I am wide open to any suggestions.

Dennis

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite model 1036 5 in 1
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
I think you are expecting too much from a $150 unit designed for the casual user who just wants some sort of wx station in their yard.      Anything else you buy in that price range will probably do the same thing.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »
Everyone knows the story about the raise in temps in the afternoon, but I can't see that anyone has solved this problem.

I don't understand this statement? Have you read the topics in this folder and looked at the photos posted? Many of us have fixed the problem as well as it can be. I still see about a 2 degree rise on some days, but that is within specs of most brands.

Offline Denpat

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »
I know that you have painted yours and have reported good results. I would be more than happy with a 2 degree rise in the afternoons.  My question, I guess, is why do many work properly right out of the box ans some don't?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »
I can honestly say, I don't know. I can suggest taking a look at the sensor chip itself, and maybe blowing some air on it if you think it's contaminated with bugs or dirt possibly? Other than that, I am not sure where to go with your issue.

Do you live in the south or the north? Some claim that if you live in the south, the sun has an even more adverse effect on the unit.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
I know that you have painted yours and have reported good results. I would be more than happy with a 2 degree rise in the afternoons.  My question, I guess, is why do many work properly right out of the box ans some don't?

An 8F to 10F degree rise often indicates your fan isn't running as it should, or something is blocking the wind tunnel.  Then there's always the issue of poor siting, like over a hot roof, asphalt, or concrete.  Be aware the fan WILL NOT compensate for poor siting.

You say this has been happening since August 2014?  That would still be well under warranty.  Have you tried the Acurite support boards?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:35:22 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Denpat

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
To answer Doctorknow's question...I live in Colorado at 5000' altitude.

I have been in contact with Acurite about the fans not working and they had me return them for repair. I put the dual solar panel on the unit when I got it back and the fan worked as it should. The temperature rose steadily until it was 8 degrees higher than a thermometer I had mounted near it in the shade. My siting was 8' above ground level in my back yard over a mulch.

The temperature has been within in one degree since I have put it in the shade. This is fine, but the wind and the rain gauges can't be close to accurate in this area.

What has Davis done with the vantage vue that will make it more accurate than the Acurite all in one?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
To answer Doctorknow's question...I live in Colorado at 5000' altitude.

I have been in contact with Acurite about the fans not working and they had me return them for repair. I put the dual solar panel on the unit when I got it back and the fan worked as it should. The temperature rose steadily until it was 8 degrees higher than a thermometer I had mounted near it in the shade. My siting was 8' above ground level in my back yard over a mulch.

The temperature has been within in one degree since I have put it in the shade. This is fine, but the wind and the rain gauges can't be close to accurate in this area.

What has Davis done with the vantage vue that will make it more accurate than the Acurite all in one?

I'm speaking of the support board.  (http://support.acurite.com) You can post pictures of your site there and get better advice from employees and actual users. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 02:19:54 PM »

I just noticed something.... you sent it in for a fan repair, then replaced the fan unit with dual solar panel unit?

I don't know all the details, but it sounds like there were some problems with the new dual solar panel units which I think may have been corrected.  Several found that their dual-panel units weren't working as well as the original single-panel and thus went back to the old configuration.

Again, you probably should contact them on the support board (http://support.acurite.com) for more advice.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:23:16 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Denpat

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
I think I made that more confusing that it should have been. I put up the original unit and had the temperature spike. I then bought the dual solar fan and installed it, but the temperature would still rise the same amount. I discovered that the dual panel unit would run, but would restart after it shut down at night. The same thing was true with the single solar unit. I did think the single solar unit would run faster than the dual, but I have nothing to judge that by.

Acurite requested that I return them for repair. When I got the dual solar one back I put it on and checked it out. The fan run and didn't shut down, but the temperature rose the 8 to 10 degrees.

Offline Denpat

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
As per beaudogs post...I know that I bought an inexpensive weather station and if I can't make it work I can live with that and I'll just move on to  different equipment.

I do believe that there are people out there that have this unit and are completely satisfied. I am just trying to figure out the differences between mine and what they have.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
I do believe that there are people out there that have this unit and are completely satisfied. I am just trying to figure out the differences between mine and what they have.

I don't think many of them are more than novices. I have a neighbor with a 3 in 1, and it is way out of site on temperature. I can pick it up with my bridge. The equipment has very poor shielding. Davis has excellent shielding, in fact sometimes too shielded I think, because at night, they do not drop off on temp fast enough.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
As per beaudogs post...I know that I bought an inexpensive weather station and if I can't make it work I can live with that and I'll just move on to  different equipment.

There's really no reason to just live with it.  It's under warranty.  Press Acurite to fix it.  There's no excuse for an 8F to 10F rise if it's truly due to an equipment fault.

As for it being "inexpensive equipment", its data is comparable to Davis.  I used to own a Davis (actually, I still do, but it's in storage).  I switched to Acurite because I have an ongoing project that requires low-cost equipment.  Other than the frequency in wind speed reporting (which I don't care much about) I haven't noticed any difference in quality of data.

Offline Denpat

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
I thank you for your advice George. I don't know how much Acurite would do for me on this matter. They have been good to replace the fans and they do operate properly. I have built a Stevenson screen to use on my next station so I hopefully don't have the same problem.

The Acurite weather station works well with the exception of the temperature rise problem.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
I thank you for your advice George. I don't know how much Acurite would do for me on this matter. They have been good to replace the fans and they do operate properly. I have built a Stevenson screen to use on my next station so I hopefully don't have the same problem.

The Acurite weather station works well with the exception of the temperature rise problem.

They'll make it right.  There have been several reports that the new dual-panel unit is not running the fan at sufficient speed, and I believe they have recently addressed that issue.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
I have nothing against the acurite. I own one that is about a mile from my Davis unit.    The two unit track very close to each other. I do see a small rise from the morning and afternoon sun but that simply does not bother me. If I were standing in the sun at that time of day I would probably feel the heat also.    And the suns effects are greater at altitude than at sea level and that may be part of your problem.  I am at 5000 ft also.

anything