Author Topic: Weather Website - BEST PRACTICES  (Read 2954 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Weather Website - BEST PRACTICES
« on: November 01, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
I've often thought about what makes a weather website special and what draws visitors back to it over and over again. Just like what brings customers back for repeat business?

So, I've started a new thread that will allow us to discuss some of the more important aspects of what needs to be included in the presentation of our websites to make them more attractive to our viewers. Many of us use preset templates but others develop their own to fit their own needs. My goal here is to see what ideas will be brought forward in this discussion. I've called them "BEST PRACTICES" but don't mean to infer that everything that comes up in these discussions are exactly how a website should look and feel. The important piece, IMHO, is what content should be offered, not necessarily the layout.

So, what are your "must haves" as far as screen features for a weather website? Perhaps we should start with what appears on the homepage and then move on to other non home-page items.

To start off the discussion, I will put a couple of my "must-haves" for the home-page:
  • Geographical location of the station (i.e., State, City, locality, county, country, etc.) - how often have you gone to a site and had to dig through many pages to find out where the station was located?
  • Current conditions (temp, humidity, wind) - a quick snapshot of what's happening right now.
Hopefully, this will generate enough interest and guidelines for future weather website development to the extent that it will be deemed worthy being made a "sticky" thread for new users.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Weather Website - BEST PRACTICES
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »
Geographical location of the station (i.e., State, City, locality, county, country, etc.) - how often have you gone to a site and had to dig through many pages to find out where the station was located?
Agree with this as one of the most important.  Station name and/or local community name just doesn't do it for the world wide web.  And another pet peeve is some of the abbreviations used, which have no meaning or understanding when one is from a considerable distance away - however they may make sense to the local community and visitors.

Great topic Don.

Paul

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
I feel that the home page should be brief and to the point. Then easily clickable to another page with more details. Included are:
1. Any warnings that require immediate attention or action.
2. Small webcam linked to the webcam page. The first thing they see and can relate to, is seeing what is currently going on.
3. Small radar linked to the radar page. While they may not see clearly, the can tell if there is something on the radar that warrants further investigation. Then they go to the radar page.
4. Then the weather data. This should also include the recent trend for something to compare current the data to.
5. Brief forecast for the next 24 hours.
Hey - that's how my site is set up.  ;)

Offline vinesweather

• Forecaster
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:42:41 PM »
I think an "About" page is important introducing the station and station owners and a small description of their town and area.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
I think an "About" page is important introducing the station and station owners and a small description of their town and area.

I'll second that. I always like to read the "about" page. Metadata is important and I like to see what equipment is being used, how is it sited..etc in addition to information regarding location and history. Previous posts to date are spot on as well regarding content.
Bill

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
Depends on who your target audience is as to what content you include. Weather enthusiasts/professionals, general public, yourself. From a public point of view, I find the template sites cluttered and inefficient when it comes to locating information quickly with minimal clicks.
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
From a public point of view, I find the template sites cluttered and inefficient when it comes to locating information quickly with minimal clicks.

What does your site look like?
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 09:49:17 PM »
From a public point of view, I find the template sites cluttered and inefficient when it comes to locating information quickly with minimal clicks.

I would also like to ask, if it is cluttered and inefficient, then what elements do you deem to be a high priority for a weather website? The purpose of starting this thread was to develop what folks think a site that exhibits best practices, contains. Simply saying "template sites cluttered and inefficient" doesn't give anyone any specific ideas of what is generally accepted as being good content.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:54:34 PM »
 I got my main site front page arranged so that everything I want to see about what my weather is doing and will do is accessible without having to scroll to find it, or in other words to keep the important stuff above the fold as a newspaper editor would say.  My target audience is a target of one-- me. 

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 03:03:30 AM »

I would also like to ask, if it is cluttered and inefficient, then what elements do you deem to be a high priority for a weather website? The purpose of starting this thread was to develop what folks think a site that exhibits best practices, contains. Simply saying "template sites cluttered and inefficient" doesn't give anyone any specific ideas of what is generally accepted as being good content.
I also note that kcidwx doesn't post a link to their weather website, so I would put a lot more credence in a comment such as Bunty's which is more or less, "My website pleases me"...  mine isn't focused exclusively toward 'local', but also designed to provide a  'quick' info for friends and fam in a few other areas also,... and yes, it was a bit more efficient as far as 'radar' is concerned before I finally had the last straw with Wunderweenies feeds... someday, if I feel like it, I may do some updating,.,. otherwise, to paraphrase Bunty one more time...."My target audience is a total of 100±". ... and it pleases them.  Oh.. more than that, since NWS likes the snowcam stills, and severe conditions reduce streaming to less than 1 FPS on the streams... which carry current WxData as overlays... it also became mandatory that I implement a 'timeout' on streams, after 5 minutes, to break connections. So... it may not be so much 'how it's presented'... but 'what is presented'...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:27:16 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »

Very few of the templates have advertising. Most of the national and local media site weather pages are cluttered with advertising. Where they have advertising I have data. Ill take the data.

Andy
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »

I also note that kcidwx doesn't post a link to their weather website, so I would put a lot more credence in a comment such as Bunty's which is more or less, "My website pleases me"...  mine isn't focused exclusively toward 'local', but also designed to provide a  'quick' info for friends and fam in a few other areas also,... and yes, it was a bit more efficient as far as 'radar' is concerned before I finally had the last straw with Wunderweenies feeds... someday, if I feel like it, I may do some updating,.,. otherwise, to paraphrase Bunty one more time...."My target audience is a total of 100±". ... and it pleases them.  Oh.. more than that, since NWS likes the snowcam stills, and severe conditions reduce streaming to less than 1 FPS on the streams... which carry current WxData as overlays... it also became mandatory that I implement a 'timeout' on streams, after 5 minutes, to break connections. So... it may not be so much 'how it's presented'... but 'what is presented'...

Again, the content should be determined by your target audience. I'll talk about the general public as the target audience since I think that's who most of the websites are targeting.

My current website is for my own personal use. I don't care who is or isn't using it. So it's irrelevant when it comes to what the public wants for weather information. I actually did a study on it in 2012. I used to have a template site loaded with every type of weather information possible. In working with the public for 13 years in the weather field, I quickly learned they only care about a few weather parameters. So I decided to put up a single web page with the data I commonly see the public requesting. Then I posted the links to both web pages (template/single page) on our local Facebook community group to get feedback. I got hundreds of replies and 78% of respondents preferred the boring, simple, single page. Matter of fact, I was asked to leave it up so they could use it. There were no links on it. Everything was auto updating. No need to refresh. It was a very well organized single page. Quick, simple and easy! Mobile users raved over it. I wasn't surprised by the results. I was pretty much expecting that.

That's my experience. Take it for what it's worth. Do you think most of the public cares about solar radiation, HDD, CDD, wet bulb, upper air data, cloud heights, just to name a few? Do you think they even know what most of that information is? I've even seen forecast models on sites clearly targeting the public. What are they going to do with that information? If you hit them with a ton of data that they don't understand or feel they don't need, they will go elsewhere. Here are the common requests I see from the public. The list is short. Obviously this is geared towards the weather in our area.

• Temperature, wind chill, heat index, rainfall, snowfall
  • Current animated radar
  • 7-day forecast
  • Watches, warnings, advisories
  • Road conditions (winter)

Optional: It doesn't hurt to have dew point and humidity. Most people don't understand dew point and prefer humidity. Visibility (fog/snow). Wind speed on very windy days. They usually don't care about wind direction and they don't care about barometric pressure.

I realize not everyone is looking for just the data I listed above. That's what you have to determine. How much is too much or not enough data for your target audience.

Most are going to your site to view weather that may impact their day. They are not going there to see how pretty your site is or how much garbage you can put on it. So don't ask how you can generate more traffic on your site when your site is stuffed full of data that most people have no use for.

I like Dr Obbins post above. Excellent!
B.S. Meteorology

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »
My website is primarily just for my use and a few others. I don't think many where I live even use a computer and those that do have there own weather source already.
Little different than the folks in Arizona where everyone was very internet savvy and my same web site design was getting hundreds of unique visitors weekly.
Design I don't think is all that important, I think it depends more on the base of people and area being served.
Randy

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 01:17:49 PM »
With 2.5 million pageviews this year must my site have something done right  :grin:

Lets see...
- "Listen" to what your visitors are interested in. Is it radar, is it forecasts, what? And then put the weight on that. If you not have the data what visitors would be interested in, try to get it. Here no "ready to go formulas" for this.
- If not done yet, set up Google Analytics or similar tracker. Follow what pages draws most traffic.
- Keep the pages "non-cluttered" but still looking up-to-date
- Do the page responsive. 30+ % of the traffic on my site are non-desktop
- Try to get as much as possible nearby weatherdata, roadweather/-cams, "official" weatherdata etc. What more sources that better.

:)

// Henkka

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »
An ex co-worker of mine came up with what I thought was a great idea to serve everyone's interest from a single weather web site. He basically had two buttons at the top of the page. One said BASIC MODE and the other ADVANCED MODE. The basic page was the default page that loaded and contained the most popular requested weather information on a single page. No links or any other clutter. If you clicked on the advanced button, it loaded the template page with every piece of weather information you could imagine. He even took it a step further and made a mobile version of the basic page. Eventually he was going to do an "Ultimate" page where users could login and pick the data they wanted to see from a menu and custom build their own weather information page by just dragging the information they wanted from the menu over to the page. They could then organize the data however they wanted to see it and then save it. Time got the best of him and he abandoned his efforts.

His goal was to serve everyone from the users just wanting to know the temperature to those wanting to look at complex weather data. Pick your poison, basic or advanced.
B.S. Meteorology

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »
Good comments from KCIDWS, but has STILL NOT furnished a link to their own website!  How about let's discuss what us "site providers" consider 'best practices", as the original post requested?

Dr Obbins had a good list above... I do find that the "Special Announcement"   add in is a valuable asset, with immediate clues on page load, for those locales we're focused on. (Yeah, I'll go hunt up the link, and add it here...)  here 'tis:   http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20674.msg202573#msg202573
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:55:47 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
I've been off the forum for a while, but I'll chime in a little late.

My site has progressed from the original VWS template to what you see today. I like certain aspects of the tables used in most of the templates, but really dislike other aspects (sometimes they are just a bunch of rows/columns with everything having the same text size and color).

Need to know (on the main page):
Location      (still need to add a map showing this in addition to the words already used)
Any active weather advisories
Current conditions (just the main stuff - numbers and words)
Short term forecast (with a link to the full forecast)
Regional radar
Local radar

Nice to know (on the main page):
More detailed current conditions (this time a few tables work well)
Weather cam
Almanac
Trends (Temperature, Dew Point, Pressure)
Regional/National severe weather information (with a link to the detailed severe weather page)
Conditions at a few nearby major cities (and those inhabitated by friends/relatives)

Tables also work well here (history) http://www.lfweathercenter.com/history.htm
...and here (nearby stations) http://www.lfweathercenter.com/exchange.htm
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:13:14 PM by LFWX »
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

anything