Author Topic: Predicting whistlers  (Read 1504 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Predicting whistlers
« on: October 17, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »
While hunting around for a way to predict the occurrence of VLF whistlers associated with lightning, I found an interesting paper.

http://www.astron-soc.in/bulletin/07December/356552007.PDF

In the paper they have a chart showing the Occurrence Probability of Whistlers, vs ΣKp. I found a reference that this is the daily sum of the 3-hour Kp intervals.

NOAA publishes this chart on a daily basis. I'll attach it below.

I would assume that I could sum the Kp intervals for the day to get the ΣKp value. Comparing it against the chart in the paper, I think that this would give an idea on when to go listen for whistlers.

Opinions? Does this make sense? If I could have something better than "random" for whistler listening, it would be great.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Re: Predicting whistlers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
Makes sense to me.  I would take the sum of the last eight values for the Kp index from the graph, that would give you the total value for the last 24hrs from the time of the most current estimate.  Went looking around and found an app from NASA that can give you the current Kp index along with a ton of other geomagnetic info on an Android phone (probably something similar for iPhone): http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.nasa.gsfc.iswa.NASASpaceWeather

Now if we could just put together something that would sum the last 24hr period and send an alert when conditions are right  8-)
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

anything