Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus  (Read 3191 times)

Offline jemboogie

Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:36:28 AM »
I just got my refurbished Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus with 24 Hour FARS fully functional. I had issues getting the UV sensor to work, but it is now all up and running!

I understand that the placement (on the garage roof) is not ideal, but it was the best I could do given my location.

Here's my WU:
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVAROANO51#history

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

WU: KVAROANO51
CoCoRaHS: VA-RN-14

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 10:45:42 AM »
Great :-) I hope you enjoy it, I think the location though not ideal is still not bad and will give mostly reasonable data :-)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:54 AM »
Did you put in the bird spikes?  I see a future post about this from you.  Put in the spikes and what I do ,  in the cone I got one of those drain screens, the smallest one in the cone, then I have the spikes that came with that new cone including the one in the center and have had no problems.

Offline jemboogie

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
Great :-) I hope you enjoy it, I think the location though not ideal is still not bad and will give mostly reasonable data :-)

Yes, I've found that it is on par with surrounding stations despite it's location. We live in an area with lots of trees, so that was the best I could do.  :-(

Offline Sooner Al

• Old enough to know better...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:36:32 AM »
I'm in a similar situation with the placement of my VP2. I have it on top of my backyard storage shed. I was going to purchase a wireless anemometer sensor transmitter kit and move the ISS to a ground level location in my yard, but given the placement of lawn sprinklers and other factors that is not really feasible. So the ISS is going to stay on the shed.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Retired NWS ESA/ET
Sys: Davis VP2 (Wireless)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »
While in Arizona I experimented with some roof placements over light (not dark) colored asphalt shingles getting bottom of shield at least 7'-8'  off roof and turned out not bad on temperatures +1-3° morning lows and highs were within 1° of yard ISS sometimes even cooler.
The main issue was wind with rain picking up extra tips from vibration and then coming up short depending on how much wind. Slow steady rain with light wind was about the only time the rain gauge worked with much accuracy so decided to end experiment.
If somehow the rain gauge could find a spot 3-4' off ground mount it works best, they really need to be out of wind as much as possible but you can only do what you can with the options available.
The higher the shield above the hot roof shingles the better also.
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
Mine is on a rock and tar roof. I do not see any temps that are too high.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline jemboogie

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:48:40 PM »
If somehow the rain gauge could find a spot 3-4' off ground mount it works best, they really need to be out of wind as much as possible but you can only do what you can with the options available.

I will continue to compare to my CoCoRaHS gauge, but have seen decent accuracy so far.

The higher the shield above the hot roof shingles the better also.

The ISS is actually over the side of the roof, so the shield is not directly above the shingles, which should help.

anything