Author Topic: My Heathkit ID 5001  (Read 11071 times)

Offline Mark Williams 38344

Re: My Heathkit ID 5001
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
I will try to do that.

Offline mark58paula

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
Mark, very nice looks like new.

My ID-5001 is as follows

I bought my ID-5001 off eBay from the USA in 2012 and had it shipped to the UK. This was sold as a non-worker.

1st thing to do was to change the power transformer setting to cope with the UK 240v supply, that is when I discovered how bad it really was inside.
I can only assume that the unit had suffered a lighting strike as all of the capacitors connected to the wind direction inputs had exploded.

Checking the IC’s revealed that more that 75% of the IC’s were dud. Fortunately I found a company on eBay (Little diode) who could supply these. The biggest problem was the 3 LCD driver IC’s were also dud. These are 80 pin soldered to the PCB jobs. Looking on “You tube” I found a video on how to remove these from the board without causing too much damage.

Now it was time to address the back light problem, I removed all the existing wiring and depowered the transistors and replaced this with a LED arrangement.

Final check and then the big power up – All worked nicely expect the display was not “blue” but “orange” . I removed the LCD screen and found that the protective plastic cover had aged,  I carefully removed this and replaced it with substitute item then powered up again and all is good.  A brilliant blue display. 

The unit did not come with the weather Boom – I have constructed my own from the schematic in the construction manual  using the IR LEDs and Transistors, I already had two temperature sensor which work fine with the unit.

I am currently converting the weather boom to wireless working using two “xBee” radio transmitters and a Raspberry Pi. Progress is slow but I am slowly getting there, but that can be saved for another post.

Pictures attached - Station/ Weather Boom & xBee interface.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 05:32:44 PM »
You did a lot of work to get it going and you did a fantastic job. The LEDs look great. Mine has the original design and still works fine. If you need a rain gauge, the Rainwise unit works with this system. Let us know how well the wireless boom works when you get it perfected. What replacement white cover did you use? I have had problems finding a match.         Thanks for sharing the info.                     

Offline mark58paula

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 05:33:38 AM »
Mark
Regarding the weather boom sensors, I bought these from Maplin electronics. These were two replacement items for one of their own weather systems.

Unfortunately neither of these were compatible with the Heathkit design. So I dismantled both of the sensors and rebuilt them using the guide from the original weather station manual. Making the circuit board and the sensor masks was a labour of love, but they both worked and were on top of my garage roof for a year or so before I decided to go for another upgrade.

Now that I am trying to convert the weather boom to wireless working using an XBee transmitter, the IR Diodes inside the old sensor units are not the best option here.

Wind Direction Sensor

I have gone down the route of using a stock sensor and modifying this to give 8 points of the compass (this uses reed switches instead of IR transistors) this will connect directly to a XBee unit that can talk to the Raspberry PI. A bit of programing allows the Raspberry pi to communicate with the ID5001 Base station and this looks promising  (not completed as yet but almost there). 

Wind Speed Sensor

Because of the nature of this sensor I had to retain original design – when the cups turn a full circle this will generation 32 on / off pulses. Namely in a sine wave format, the XBee does not really like this, so a solution was to add a simple transistor into the circuit that gives a cleaner on /off appearance. This is all fully build, but I am still working on the Python code to interpret this correctly.

As for getting the outdoor temp sensor working – that is still on the drawing board   

All the best Mark

Offline island

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
There appears to be a Heathkit humidity sensor for one of these stations on ebay as part of a Davis passive radiation shield.  (Part #7714) Reading between the lines of the listing, it may be something put together by a now deceased weather geek.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
Heathkit is offering some parts that will work with this unit.

The temperature sensor for one: https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/product/temperature-sensor-replacement-for-weather-station-8

They also have the anemometer cups.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline island

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
The seller on ebay says that he is listing two ID-5001 weather stations tonight.  BTW, I'm not bidding on any of the Heathkit items.  I was looking for Davis parts and wanted to find out where the sensor came from.  That's how I found this topic.  Now I know.  I just figured that someone else may be interested, so I posted the information about the auction(s). 

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »
I have two rain gauges, a humidity sensor, a temperature sensor, the indoor console and the complete wind boom available if anyone is interested. Will sell all together or piece it out, don't matter to me. Send me a message, we can talk. It's a 5001 I have.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 07:19:06 PM »
I will try to do that.

Hey there Mark!! Did you ever get a video made of the 5001 in operation? I love watching those kind of vids!!!

Offline MitchSF

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
Where are the Raspberry Pi and Arduino gurus that will take the serial data out of Wx Station X (substitute Davis, Peet Bro, Texas Weather Instruments, Rainwise, etc) and interface to drive this display?  I'd gut my unit in a heartbeat to send top quality, reliable data to the screen.  But I don't know how the LCD was driven, probably a custom chip of some sort.  No need to change anything but would be nice to have max/min functions work and reset.  I guess that the keypad keys could be read and assigned to change values in the little computer's memory for this.

After all, Rainwise and Peet Bro have remote displays that run off the serial output of the station already.

I'm working on a project to interface a Davis 7911 anemometer to the ID-4001, using an Arduino. So far all sensors are simulated including temperature, and the Arduino also gets data from Weather Underground.

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »

just to illustrate the thread

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTdXob4bknY[/youtube]

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »
I have finally posted a video on YouTube. I don't have the link but you can find it if you search Heathkit weather in YouTube. This was taken during a very windy night here in Tennessee.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:39:35 PM by Mark Williams 38344 »

Offline slgelectric

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 06:52:54 PM »
I am looking for any ID-5001, for parts or ?
Steve