Author Topic: Summer '16  (Read 18790 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Summer '16
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »
Here's the thing.  When the power goes out, gas heat works, A/C doesn't.

Don't ask me how I know that due to the hour and a half long outage I just came off of.  Generator is acting flaky too for some reason.  Not sure what to do about that.
Just took my genny in to get fixed. Had a pretty good storm come through the other night which knocked out power. Fired up the unit and no juice. :sad: Have no idea what happened to it. Last time i used it, other then starting it up occasionally was about 2 years ago.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
Some UPSs don't like generators, so they click in and out.  I noticed that a bit more than usual today.  Also noticed the genset wasn't running as smooth as it usually does.  I guess I'll have to open things up, check fuel filter, bowl, plug, etc. and see if I can find anything.

13HP ChinaBrand, so who knows.....

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »
You can do without ac but you can't do without heating

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2016, 07:44:14 AM »

Don't ask me how I know that due to the hour and a half long outage I just came off of.  Generator is acting flaky too for some reason.  Not sure what to do about that.
Just took my genny in to get fixed. Had a pretty good storm come through the other night which knocked out power. Fired up the unit and no juice. :sad: Have no idea what happened to it. Last time i used it, other then starting it up occasionally was about 2 years ago.

Used to work on them. Could be it just needs to be flashed or the regulator went bad, most common problems. It's recommended that it be run every 30 days for 15 minutes with a load on it.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2016, 08:20:32 AM »
Here in Eastern NC, we have been boiling all month. It has been much hotter for a longer period than it was last year, I went back and looked. Only 5 days on my station this month that it didn't reach 90 or more. Last year we had a few days mixed in where it was only around 80.... and many days only in the mid to upper 80s.

Some claim August will be much cooler, but for now, all week long this week will see mid and high 90s. Ocean temps are mid to high 80s! That's way too hot. I don't see how people can live without a good A/C around here with temps that hot and Heat indices of over 110
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:22:31 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
Here in Eastern NC, we have been boiling all month. It has been much hotter for a longer period than it was last year, I went back and looked. Only 5 days on my station this month that it didn't reach 90 or more. Last year we had a few days mixed in where it was only around 80.... and many days only in the mid to upper 80s.

Some claim August will be much cooler, but for now, all week long this week will see mid and high 90s. Ocean temps are mid to high 80s! That's way too hot. I don't see how people can live without a good A/C around here with temps that hot and Heat indices of over 110
I'll be spending a week at Topsail next summer. The first time I did 25 years ago, it had no a/c, and it was brutal, sea breeze or not. Nothing like trying to sleep in a pile of sweat. Those surf temps are pretty elevated too.
Go hit the beach!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2016, 07:34:42 PM »

Used to work on them. Could be it just needs to be flashed or the regulator went bad, most common problems. It's recommended that it be run every 30 days for 15 minutes with a load on it.
I'm hoping it was just rats. Yeah, I said rats. Those critters love to gnaw on everything. They even climbed up the shoot on my leaf blower and ate the fricken impeller.
I noticed on the genny that they ate the red boot that covers the positive terminal on the starter. Thinking maybe they gnawed through some wires and that was the reason. Shop said about 2 weeks so we'll see.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
You can do without ac but you can't do without heating

Hmm, I feel the opposite.  When the air is so stagnant with temps around 100 and heat indices pushing 115 to 120 degrees, you can only get so naked.  I feel I can continue to add layer after layer if heat is loss during the cold...or build a fire :)
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
Well fire would be problematic in my case due to the alarms here, but yes you are right, you can put on more layers, but in general, people will feel more comfortable at very high temperatures than at very low temperatures, I mean indoor.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2016, 04:14:02 PM »
but in general, people will feel more comfortable at very high temperatures than at very low temperatures, I mean indoor.
I've had the misfortune to experience both, and they both suck.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
SPC has my neck of the woods under a marginal risk for T+ today with a "rim shot" (can be quite nasty) working it's way SW. Wind is the big factor, hopefully not too many trees and power poles will suffer the consequences, let alone structures.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »
As seen from Boomer Lake Park in Stillwater around 4pm, 7/27, photo of a  line of non-severe thunderstorms over a couple of counties to the east.  They weren't quite aimed straight at Stillwater and had considerably weakened an hour an a half later. At the same there was also a storm to the WNW of Stillwater, but it, too, weakened.  Next photo of how things looked on radar at the approximate same time.  As of 6:10 pm the strongest storm in Oklahoma and with a severe warning out, affected the west side of the Oklahoma City metro.   60% chance of storms mostly before 10pm.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:29:34 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
Radar estimates show 1.3" today so far (more coming).

My little rinky-dink station shows  1.25"

Assuming it's anywhere near accurate and not too affected by wind or whatever, it shows a little over 16" for the month.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2016, 09:50:46 PM »
Radar estimates show 1.3" today so far (more coming).

My little rinky-dink station shows  1.25"

Assuming it's anywhere near accurate and not too affected by wind or whatever, it shows a little over 16" for the month.
That is a lot of rain for one month!
Just the opposite down here. Well below normal.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2016, 12:59:05 AM »
Still raining.  Something like 4 hours non-stop, maybe longer.

Radar estimate 2.12"
Station 1.87" 24 Hr, 16.70" month.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »
I've lived here 28 years and don't ever recall seeing thunderstorms train over the area like they have for the last 2 hours, albeit garden variety, but continuing.
Damage from earlier storms to be assessed in the morning.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2016, 07:04:40 AM »
Radar Estimate, 2.28"
Station 24 Hr, 2.08", month 16.91"

Forecast for today:  "Occasional showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 11am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 85. Southwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%."

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
I can't say for sure that I've had 17" of rain.  I don't know how accurate this gauge is and I've never tried to calibrate it.  It's one of those white rectangular things where the flippers can be tripped by high winds if they hit it right.

What I can say is:

• Any time I've compared it to the NEXRAD estimates, it's been close.
  • The official total at the airport is  8.06" as of this morning.
  • Many of the heavier rainfalls have missed the airport.
  • I've had several 1-2" rainfalls that I can verify by other means such as the pool level.
  • I've also had several smaller amounts of around 1/2"
  • We had one 5-6" rainfall that washed out several roads, moved large boulders, took down trees, etc.
  • We've had 2 or 3  storms that took power out to wide areas.
  • Places that should be dust dry this time of year have significant water standing, large puddles, etc .
  • Creeks, streams and ditches that should be either dry or just trickling are full, rushing and in some places overflowing.

All in all, I can't say 17" is out of the realm of possibility either.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »
Maybe I'm not that far off after all.  If you look at this map and set it for 30 days, you see a large area of 15" + precipitation totals:

http://water.weather.gov/precip/

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
SPC has my neck of the woods under a marginal risk for T+ today with a "rim shot" (can be quite nasty) working it's way SW. Wind is the big factor, hopefully not too many trees and power poles will suffer the consequences, let alone structures.
Standard rim-shot, trees and power poles down, 22,000 homes out of electricity. Beautiful light show, but even with the training, very little rain, at least for me. :sad:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »
Maybe I'm not that far off after all.  If you look at this map and set it for 30 days, you see a large area of 15" + precipitation totals:

http://water.weather.gov/precip/
Get a Cocorahs gauge. For a little over $20 you can get an exact total.
May even want to check your area to see if anyone close by you has a gauge just to see if it matches your estimate.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2016, 11:40:28 PM »
Here's what (little) rain we've seen the last three days:

26Jul16 = 0.13"
27Jul16 = 0.07"
28Jul16 = 0.13"

which is actually rather pitiful for a "typical" monsoon.
You've got me beat, I only got 0.31". Tomorrow looks promising for another rim-shot. They've gotten so rare the last 5-6+ years, hard to believe we may get 2 in 3 days. Matter of fact, looks like we're moving into a high-grade monsoon pattern for at least the foreseeable wx future.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »
I've heard of outsourcing customer service call centers to offshore companies, but when did the NWS do it for forecasts?

Seasonal late July temperatures into this weekend, will give way to building heat and humidity again for the first week of August, as the heat index reaches or exceeds the triple digit mark each day next work week. In addition, persisting storm chances will continue unabated and on the daily, with any time storms capable of locally heavy rainfall. Isolated stronger storms may produce strong, gusty winds or hail.

http://www.weather.gov/crh/weatherstory?sid=pah&embed=

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
Batten down the hatches, looks like central/southern Az. is in for an a$$ woopin' tonight. Wonder how many drivers will have to be pulled outta washes.... :roll:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2016, 06:40:05 PM »
Beautiful CB's north of town. Looks like the plains. Hopefully kaymann has his camera primed!

anything