Author Topic: Re: Win10 upgrade?  (Read 6238 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Win10 upgrade?
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »
Don't forget there are different versions of 10. Some home versions didn't have any option to stop driver updates originally. Now that all versions have it not all are working is the issue.  The "Show or hide updates" tool is the fix for those  machines supposedly.
Randy

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
If you want to prevent win10 from upgrading to your system try this free tool from Steve Gibson.

Never10

It allows you to toggle off/on automatic Win10 upgrades on your machine easily.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2016, 05:23:15 PM »
Gotta love Steve Gibson.  The man/myth/icon/legend does it again.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
None of my computers have this issue of wanting to upgrade from 7 to 10. Not sure why but non issue for me thankfully. 
Maybe because I don't do updates.  :lol: :lol:
Randy

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »
I'm with you, Randy. Only update my machines when I think of it, and only what I consider to be important for them, not MS.  Have had Updates turned off on my machines for years, especially my weather machine.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Re: Re: Win10 upgrade?
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
I solved the Windows 10 Home update with a different work around and solved the unattended power outage problem as well...
Not everyone will like it but it works as I found Windows 7 was changing my update restart settings without my consent as well as Windows 10.
So...

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29952.0

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2016, 08:21:18 PM »
So... it is now Jul 30th here already so I wonder if the annoying screens forcing you to upgrade to Win 10 will not finally disappear :D Fortunately I have Linux so it does not concern me, but I need to check on my sister's laptop, who still has Win 7 :D

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
So... it is now Jul 30th here already so I wonder if the annoying screens forcing you to upgrade to Win 10 will not finally disappear :D Fortunately I have Linux so it does not concern me, but I need to check on my sister's laptop, who still has Win 7 :D
Never saw a single screen, nor will I update. Drive it til the wheels fall off.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
If I was using Windows, what I would do is upgrade to 10, then downgrade back to 7 within the month you have afterwards to do so. This way, you can keep on using Win 7 and upgrade to win 10 anytime in the future for free - just by doing it once you activate your license so you can wait another few yrs before they fix most of the bugs and then upgrade again for free. But right now I use Lubuntu anyway :D

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
If I was using Windows, what I would do is upgrade to 10, then downgrade back to 7 within the month you have afterwards to do so. This way, you can keep on using Win 7 and upgrade to win 10 anytime in the future for free - just by doing it once you activate your license so you can wait another few yrs before they fix most of the bugs and then upgrade again for free. But right now I use Lubuntu anyway :D
Oh wow, didn't know that was possible. If I did upgrade, I'd surely screw it up and never get my 7 back. :-(

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2016, 09:10:38 PM »
I dont know, I never did it myself, but Im sure they didnt make the downgrade very smooth and easy :D Though many people did it, so it probably isnt that bad, but surely not as smooth as upgrading it :D

anything