Author Topic: New raspberry Pi 3!  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
New raspberry Pi 3!
« on: March 14, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: New raspberry Pi 3!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »
Awesome that they released it on "Pi Day" 3/14!!!!!
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »
Does anyone have any particular projects in mind that will take advantage of the new features?

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »
I will be swapping out every Pi 3 B in my house for the B+ as soon as they are in the supply stream, just because of the dual-band 802.11ac support.

USB and PXE boot could be useful, especially to those with a NAS to offload flash writes.

I do have evil plans to use the BLE stack to grab transmitted sensor data from the WeatherFlow hardware, and may be developing a weewx Bluetooth station interface to take WF's hub completely out of the picture.....

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:53 PM »
I will be swapping out every Pi 3 B in my house for the B+ as soon as they are in the supply stream, just because of the dual-band 802.11ac support.

For what application(s) running on your Pis do you actually need 802.11ac bandwidth?
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 01:29:59 AM »
Pi 3B+ already on sale up here for 45 CAD!  I think the POE support will be a big selling point.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:56 AM »
For what application(s) running on your Pis do you actually need 802.11ac bandwidth?

None.  I just have a strong aversion to 2.4 Ghz, which I consider to be consumer-grade and congested.  The only reason why I even have it enabled in my house is for the Pi 3's.....

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
I have two on their way, allegedly shipping tonight.

I was coincidentally about to pick up another Pi 3 as a permanent server for my new weather toy, and this could not have happened at a better time.....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »
I have two on their way, allegedly shipping tonight.

I was coincidentally about to pick up another Pi 3 as a permanent server for my new weather toy, and this could not have happened at a better time.....

I have one on its way.  I hope.

The first time I tried to order yesterday from Newark they were all sold out.

Then they sent me an email a few hours later saying they were in stock (150 units).

They would only let me order one.  So I did.

Then I checked my order status today and it says it has shipped, for a grand total of $7.79!

So now I don't know what I what I might get next week.   :-|