Author Topic: 5 in 1 Pro- Mounting Pole size info needed  (Read 7942 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
5 in 1 Pro- Mounting Pole size info needed
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »
I picked up a 5 in 1 Pro from woot.com yesterday; great deal, couldn't pass it up.

What size pole do I need to mount it? I'm going to use a wall mount antenna bracket and a metal pole to mount the unit to a shed. I found the manual online and it stated 3/4" pole. I take it that's the outside diameter?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
Re: 5 in 1 Pro- Mounting Pole size info needed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:49:57 PM »
Yes, 3/4in OD. My 5-in-1 is mounted on 3/4in Galvanized Steel

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:12:55 AM »
Thank you! Just saw the pics of your setup. Looks like I'll be good to go with the 3/4" pipe. I'll post pics once I have it all setup. Hopefully this weekend.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline rct

• W2RCT
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
FYI - 3/4" schedule 40 PVC seems to fit perfectly inside the 5-n-1.    You won't be able to use the supplied bracket of course, you'll need a standoff brackets or some other way to mount the pipe.

Also just as a point of reference that I tested when I had things apart, the supplied acurite bracket is a little too thick to fit inside of 1" schedule 40 pvc.

Hope this helps.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
Great tip on the PVC! Any concerns over the flex if using a section 3'-4' long?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline rct

• W2RCT
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
PVC certainly won't be as stiff as steel.  If you were using 10'+, I would be a lot more concerned -- you'd possibly get some false tips of the rain gauge in strong winds.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
Great tip on the PVC! Any concerns over the flex if using a section 3'-4' long?

3 to 4' Long PVC, you should be ok.

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
Thank you both! I appreciate the guidance.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 06:01:27 AM »
I ended up with a 1" outside diameter galvanized pipe. It wasn't as snug as the 1" pvc, but the mounting screws snugged it up just fine. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Tangster1

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
I have my 5in1 mounted on a 6ft section of schedule 80 PVC to clear roof for better wind speeds. If you have a box store you can get a length of the gray elect. Sch.80 elect. conduit Its a lot thicker wall then sch 40 double actually and much firmer but 3/4 gal is better you can buy that in lengths also black will do if you paint it so it wont rust.

Offline medic6578

• https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLRIVER87&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
thanks for the info

Offline VE4PER / Andy

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
Haven't received my unit yet but from manual download I was hoping to use the flat wall mounting adapter and two U-bolts to fasten the unit to a 10 foot 1 1/2" pipe lag bolted to 4x4 deck corner post so unit is about 16 ft - 18ft above ground in open area  free of wind obstructions and shaded areas.

Offline glennonrp

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 10:55:02 PM »
You may already have what you need by now... but, I didn’t see my mounting type mentioned... I took an 8 foot redwood 4X4 and put it into a 2 foot deep hole, poured in 120 pounds of quick concrete, watered, stirrred, leveled, braced. After post was set, I took a metal pipe with an elbow and a round bracket that screws onto the 4x4 with four screws and in the center is a female threaded hole for 3/4 inch pipe. Put it all together and the 5-in-1 is about 7’ over the ground in the middle of my yard over vegetatation!

The pipe mounting bracket is very easy to find in any home improvement store. Total cost of pipe hardware is under $5. If you can get cedar instead of redwood, that’s better. But redwood is nearly as good as cedar. I hope that helps someone. My family put together and decorated birdhouses that we mounted to the pole and and it became an objet d’arte!

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 07:57:59 AM »
Sounds like a nice set up! Do you have any pictures?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline fish1552

• KGALUDOW3
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
For anyone visiting to check this thread, I had some pieces of chain link fence poles sitting around.  The pole that goes across the top fits right into the hole in the mount on the tapered end.  Since they come in 6-8ft sections, I cut a 2-ft piece off another with the smaller taper on top and beat it into the ground then put an 8-ft piece into it so the top had the taper as well.  It is a nice solid mount.  And I can always lift off the pole from the base to replace batteries, do maintenance, etc.
On that note, if you have any of those Shelter Logic canopies, the poles from those are the same size and would work as well.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 08:30:28 AM »
Great tips! Thanks for sharing.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut