Author Topic: Thoughts on Davis quality  (Read 10269 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Thoughts on Davis quality
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »
Et tu, Brutus?

Learning should be a lifelong thing.  Yours appears to have stopped and resorted to shock tactics when challenged for your behavior.  Last warning about your abusive behavior.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
Most of you guys are so f**ked in the head you can never be changed.

It's a weather station at the end of the day mate. I'm not sure what your beef is but I'm quite happy with my Vue.
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus - Weather Underground ICARMART10

Offline north of 60

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
Davis stations are f**kin shit,  i asked our national weather service folks if i could submit data from a davis station when I'm not home instead of having a neighbor do it,  they told me they'd rather have no data than data from a inaccurate station.  so i got a campbell scientific station which is industrail quality made and very accurate.  you get what you pay for they always said,  davis stations cost pocket change  and you get poor data and even more unreliable.

saratogawx you can go f**k yourself

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
Davis stations are f**kin shit,  i asked our national weather service folks if i could submit data from a davis station when I'm not home instead of having a neighbor do it,  they told me they'd rather have no data than data from a inaccurate station.  so i got a campbell scientific station which is industrail quality made and very accurate.  you get what you pay for they always said,  davis stations cost pocket change  and you get poor data and even more unreliable.

saratogawx you can go f**k yourself

Enjoy your ban.
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus - Weather Underground ICARMART10

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 07:36:59 PM »
Yep, had enough of his BS. He's gone.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
In 'north of 60's' little tirade, I think he lost track of the overall subject.  I think the consensus of Davis owners is that their quality is actually quite fine and their service excellent.  What should be understood is that for extreme climate conditions (like north of 60 degrees), no hobbyist weather station is likely to work correctly below -25C, so where you need a snow tractor for months out of the year, only a industrial station (at $3K to $10K) may be needed to survive the harsh conditions and report reliably .. but not everyone can afford a RAWS-class home weather station (wish I could).

For more temperate climates (where most of us live), the Davis Vantage Pro line is arguably the most accurate for the money (<$1k).

Ta Ta, 'north of 60' .. it's been real, just sorry it wasn't more illuminating (except for the demo of bad behavior). 
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

astrodanco2

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 05:11:37 PM »
Earlier this week I installed a Vantage Pro2 Plus with FARS, a Weather Envoy with a USB logger and a MeteoHub 3.

The Davis documentation was excellent and the whole installation process was trivial.  Time will tell how well it holds up and which parts need replacement first.

You really have to take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt.  Some people don't do their homework (reading manuals, forums, etc) before purchase.

Offline suddenincline

• Inclinemedialive.com
Re: Re: Thoughts on Davis quality
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
This guy needs to find another place to make friends!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »

If I recall he has acted up in the past.....as for another place to make friends....

A grocery store owner friend of mine told me about a little old lady customer of his that complained about everything...quality, prices, availability....she was a royal pain. When she walked in with a bag of oranges she had bought weeks before and had just gone on sale and she demanded a refund of the difference he told her to get lost and go shop at his competitor across town. A month later she reappeared in his store. He went up to her and said "I thought I told you to stay out of my store and go shop at my competitor ?"...she looked at the floor and said in a quiet voice..."they didnt like me either".

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »
she looked at the floor and said in a quiet voice..."they didnt like me either".

ROFL  That's a classic!  :D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »
I haven't bought anything in a long time that I have enjoyed as much as my Vue.

Knowing from these posts and others that if I ever have any problems, that Davis will be there to help me, makes me feel even better about it.

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:41 PM »
FWIW
Davis map shows several stations North of 60th parallel apparently working?
http://www.weatherlink.com/map.php

I've had no problems to date with my Davis, running for 1.5 years , N of 40.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:09:58 PM by ed2kayak »
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »
I haven't bought anything in a long time that I have enjoyed as much as my Vue.

That sums it up quite nicely.  Well said.

Beyond that, if I wasn't having so much fun with my Vue, I wouldn't be hanging out here at wxforum.  My original intent for even having a weather station was just remote monitoring.  It has turned into a hobby.  If not for the high quality of the Vue, (unlike lesser systems I have purchased since) I probably would have just let it be.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »
Love my Vue

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »

If I recall he has acted up in the past.....as for another place to make friends....

A grocery store owner friend of mine told me about a little old lady customer of his that complained about everything...quality, prices, availability....she was a royal pain. When she walked in with a bag of oranges she had bought weeks before and had just gone on sale and she demanded a refund of the difference he told her to get lost and go shop at his competitor across town. A month later she reappeared in his store. He went up to her and said "I thought I told you to stay out of my store and go shop at my competitor ?"...she looked at the floor and said in a quiet voice..."they didnt like me either".
At the grocery store I work at we have one that's like that too. I've never seen her but all my co-workers know who she is. Lets say I've heard the horror stories. And she fits the same description. A small old grey women. These type of characters seem to come off an assembly line  :lol:.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything