Author Topic: It's Time  (Read 18980 times)

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: It's Time
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
My LAST order through provantage took 3 weeks to get to me...I called provantage and got a real run around, then was told to call Davis, then sent beck to PV, again sent to Davis who finally gave me a tracking #. PV doesn't care after orders are placed with Davis.....my LAST order from PV.   

I've had a similar problem with Provantage when they are direct shipping an item from Davis.  They gave me a shipping date and then much later a tracking number with a different shipping date and delivery to the wrong state for an ag/turf module.  I emailed them a week or so later and they blamed the confusion on the distributor and Davis and gave me a corrected ship date.

I now only use Provantage when they have an overwhelming discount compared to other dealers such as RainmanWeather, etc. to make any shipping hassles worthwhile.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »
My LAST order through provantage took 3 weeks to get to me...I called provantage and got a real run around, then was told to call Davis, then sent beck to PV, again sent to Davis who finally gave me a tracking #. PV doesn't care after orders are placed with Davis.....my LAST order from PV.   

I've had a similar problem with Provantage when they are direct shipping an item from Davis.  They gave me a shipping date and then much later a tracking number with a different shipping date and delivery to the wrong state for an ag/turf module.  I emailed them a week or so later and they blamed the confusion on the distributor and Davis and gave me a corrected ship date.

I now only use Provantage when they have an overwhelming discount compared to other dealers such as RainmanWeather, etc. to make any shipping hassles worthwhile.
I always use Archer Trading. Expidited shipping isn't much more than what those other guys might charge for normal shipping.

Who shipped your package? UPS, Fedex, United States Postal Service?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
Davis primarily ships by UPS, PV, I believe also uses UPS. I HAD to make this LAST order from PV because no one else had a replacement anny for my WWIII, and I tried every where. I've been making most of my buys through Archer Trading....can't beat his prices.   
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
Bushman, what have you heard about a new solar unit? Any particulars?

I would have suggested adding the solar now, (sorry I did not) but the new lower cost solar unit should be available soon (I hope).  I will certainly be adding it ASAP after it comes out.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
Well, just like someone posted above, I had to call ProVantage to ask for a tracking number. The invoice showed the shipping process completed but a tracking number was never emailed to me. I called PorVantage and they said there are issues with their email system sending out tracking numbers.. Yea, ok.... So I called this morning and got one sent. Anyway, it appears that the shipment is on track to be delievered tomorrow...YAY!!!!!!!!!   =D>  =D>  \:D/  \:D/ .. YOu can expext to see numerous post on how to get this beast up and running/configure, etc....

Jim

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »
"YOu can expext to see numerous post on how to get this beast up and running/configure, etc...."

Jim, I think you will look back on this post and say How True, How True!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
Jim, I predict the first thing you will say/think when you unpack it is that it is BIGGER than you expected.

Enjoy your new station.  :grin:
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
Funny, it is massive, when you have had an OS rain gauge all those years.

Andrew

Jim, I predict the first thing you will say/think when you unpack it is that it is BIGGER than you expected.

Enjoy your new station.  :grin:

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 03:17:16 PM »
Thanks Guys and gals..... I am spending my b-day weekend to at least get some of this put together.... I will then need time to get the anny up on the roof....

Jim

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »
Well the box if in my living room right now.. Haven't had a chance to open it yet due to other commitments last night. I will try to get to it this evening. I don't want to rush in installing this thing but i amm sooooo amped!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jim

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
Jim,
You have more self control than me.  As soon as I saw "out for delivery" on the tracking page, I was on the next bus home (no train on my line midday), and it was temp installed by 4pm....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »
Jim,
You have more self control than me.  As soon as I saw "out for delivery" on the tracking page, I was on the next bus home (no train on my line midday), and it was temp installed by 4pm....

Andrew

I'm with Andrew on that one!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »
Well the box if in my living room right now.. Haven't had a chance to open it yet due to other commitments last night. I will try to get to it this evening. I don't want to rush in installing this thing but i amm sooooo amped!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jim

WELL?????
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2012, 01:58:30 AM »
Well, I finally opened it! OMG! Its big.. downloaded the isntallation manual and making sure everything is untaped, scanpped in, etc. I am trying to see if I can get at least the ISS installed today.. Need to prep the the site to fit a decent study pole to hold the ISS.... Any thing I should do/know that you guys have found that would help in the installation or keeping the unit more secured/sealed?

Jim

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
You are a much more patient man that me, Jim. I'd have been going bonkers that it wasn't here yet about three days after ordering! :)

Take your time and make sure everything works before finalizing your installation. Double check connections, make sure you are getting a good reliable signal, etc. I clamped mine to a 2" PVC pole and then bungie-corded it to an old lawn swing frame as a test bed. I later used the Radio Shack tripod and mast as a more portable unit for testing locations until I could get the anemometer on the roof.

Have fun!
Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
It's up! ( ISS that is  )... One question... I see on the 24 hr FARS unit that there are 2 plastic tabs (with arrows printed on it) sticking out near the top of the unit. What are these and what do I need to do with them?

Trying now to get the ISS to talk to the console.. So far, not seeing it...

Jim

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
Jim, the tabs are to prevent the NiCad batteries from making contact with their battery holders.

Pull both tabs if you want both batteries to charge during the day so that there will be more amp-hrs to run the fan at night.  The fan will run slightly slower during the day when charging both batteries.

Pull one tab if you want more fan speed during the day and less at night running on just one battery. With only one battery at night, the fan may well stop in the early morning hours if the battery is discharged or as it gets weaker with age.
--Dave--

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »
Thanks d_l... I did not see anything in the installations guide for pulling those tabs......

BTW, the system is NOW talking to the console.... I am sooooooo amped... I may get up on the roof tomorrow and get the anememoter installed....If the winds die down enough....

JIm

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »
Jim,

If you didn't get the supplemental instructions for the 24 hour FARS, go here and download the manual.

http://davisnet.com/weather/products/wx_product_docs.asp?pnum=06153

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »
Found it thanks.....Fan seems to be running.. I pulled both tabs.....

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
Well, it is ALL done. Mounted the anemometer today and then went through the stages of connecting the console to my computer and got that running. It was very easy to do...
Now to sit back and enjoy it!

Thanks to all those who assisted and gave advice....

Jim

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »
Any installation pictures?

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
Jim
Are you going to take the 968 down or offline, or keep it going?

Andrew

Andrew, I'm going to take it down at some point. I am more curious about the deviation with teh Davis unit to see how far off the 968 is....

Jim

Jim,

I know you're enjoying things now.  :)  I'm glad you got up and down the roof ok.  They can be tricky.

Did you leave the 968 running?  I found that mine wasn't that far off, it just didn't update as often and the rain gauge only does 0.04 per tip.

Enjoy!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »
Nah, I took it down... One less thing to have to deal with.... NOw I just have to see how the Davis is doing compared to others around me....

Jim

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
Jim
Are you going to take the 968 down or offline, or keep it going?

Andrew

Andrew, I'm going to take it down at some point. I am more curious about the deviation with teh Davis unit to see how far off the 968 is....

Jim

Jim,

I know you're enjoying things now.  :)  I'm glad you got up and down the roof ok.  They can be tricky.

Did you leave the 968 running?  I found that mine wasn't that far off, it just didn't update as often and the rain gauge only does 0.04 per tip.

Enjoy!  :)
So what are the plans for the 968?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.