Author Topic: Serial Port Data Splitter and VWS  (Read 798 times)

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
Serial Port Data Splitter and VWS
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
As I continue my build of the new 21st century wxpc - I came across a site the sells RS-232 port data splitters. Their site says
With our serial port splitters you gain reliability by capturing data from one peripheral on redundant PCs.  By allowing you to share multiple PCs on a single peripheral,

SOooo.. I began to think (dangerous, I know  :shock:) would one of these work to allow me to connect both my old wxpc and my new wxpc to my Texas Weather Instruments WR-25 station's RS-232 port and have both installations of VWS collect data from it in parallel for a bit of real time testing and burn-in before I finally pull the plug on my old machine?

Has anyone else here actually used a data splitter with VWS and old-fashioned rs-232 serial ports?

NOTE - I do NOT have a Davis Vantage system - so none of their dataloggers or accessories will work in my application.

What do you guys think?

Here is the link to the splitter http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/Serial-Connectivity/Serial-Data-Tools-Adapters/Port-Splitters.aspx

Steve

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Serial Port Data Splitter and VWS
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
It depends on how Texas Weather programs access data from the station.

If the station just constantly streams data out with no query from the computer, then the splitter should work fine.

If however, like Davis, the computer must request data from the station, and the nature of the request defines the data sent, then, probably not.