Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 2367 times)

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
New to forum
« on: May 04, 2008, 08:54:07 PM »
I have had a Davis weather station since December of 1994 and just discovered this forum.  I started with a cabled Weather Wizard II and upgraded to a wireless Weather Monitor II in 2003.  I still use the Wizard to monitor temperatures in my unheated basement and main floor of house.  I joined CWOP and Weather Underground when I  got the Monitor II.  I am currently having problems uploading to my website but not to CWOP or Wunderground.  It is intermittent, as it will work for a while and then go for hours without working.  This is why I haven't listed my website.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:44:29 PM »
What software are you using to send data to your web site?  This could help us troubleshoot your problem.  If just the WeatherLink that came with your Davis unit, there's much better software out there that will enable you to do much more (including send data to PWSweather.com ;) ).  A list is available at http://www.weatherforyou.com/pws/weather_stations/internet.php .  Prices range from free to more than free.  :D  But all have more options than WeatherLink.

Joe Torsitano

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »
I am just using the WeatherLink software.  I have been looking to change, but really didn't know what was available.  That is the main reason I ended up here.  I was also considering a new VP2, but that may have to wait a while.  Thanks for the reply and the link.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:33 AM »
Two good choices for weather software are either Virtual Weather Station (VWS) or Weather Display (WD). Personally I use VWS. I think it has much better graphical displays than WD.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 07:09:52 AM »
And there are others who will say that Weather Display is more feature rich, and within the community there are numerous "plug-n-play" web site packages and PHP scripts that make it fairly painless to develop a great web site.  I'd recommend visiting each of their forums and check out member web sites.  They are both high quality packages and it's just a matter of taste when making a decision.  Some folks run them both.

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php

http://ambientwxsupport.com/smf/index.php

Good Luck.  - Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »
I decided to try out VWS, Weatherview 32 and WD to see where I wanted to go. I am using Virtual VP with virtual serial port  so I can run all 3 (trial versions) while I try to decide what I want to use. I like VWS and Weatherview 32's screens but WD's real time weather screen in Java looks really nice. VWS links to a MySql database with a PHP module allowing visitors to the website to look up their own weather stats in the past.

anything