Author Topic: Newbie, Tycon TP2700WC or AcuRite-01057RM ?  (Read 7105 times)

Offline astrolus

Newbie, Tycon TP2700WC or AcuRite-01057RM ?
« on: May 10, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »
Hello,

I am new to the forum.
I must say that english is not my first language so I may write strange sometimes...

I am looking for a basic weather station for beginning. My budget is 200$-250$.

For the sensors :
- I want wind strengh and direction.
- Not absolutly required, but it would be appreciated also to have UV sensor.

What I would like to do with it :
- I want to be able to store datas on my computer (using excel or a weather software) to make statistics and graphs.
- I want to have the data on the internet in real time.

I am located in Canada, so there is some brand that are not distributed in Canada and must be ordered from US, it increases a lot the price because of the shipping and border taxes.

I read a little on the internet about weather stations.

I understand the best is Davis Vantage, but it is at least 620$ so too much for me.

Then my favorite model was "Ambient weather WS1001", I loved very much that it send automatically the data on the website "wunderground". It would be the best for me.
But, It is not distributed in Canada, and with the shipping and border taxes, it will be 450$. Too much again.

Then I found two other models that are distributed in Canada and are in my budget, the same price (200$ all included).
I an hesitating between the two of them :

AcuRite-01057RM
- Data to internet (aculink) without PC
- Backup data to PC ??? i don't know, didn't find the information
- No UV sensor

Tycon TP2700WC
- Data to internet but need a PC connected 24/7
- Backup data to PC via WeatherSmart Software
- Have the UV sensor

At a glance, the Tycon seems better to me but there is absolutly no review anywhere. At the contrary there is a lot of reviews for the Acurite.

So my question is :

According to you, what is the best between Tycon TP2700WC and AcuRite-01057RM ?

Does anyone here have one of these models ? What do you think of it ?

Or, would you suggest me an other model ?

Thanks !!

Marie

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Newbie, Tycon TP2700WC or AcuRite-01057RM ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:45:48 PM »
The Tycon station is made by or a clone of a Fine Offset box.  I think they are garbage.  I had one once; it died and was replaced with an Acurite 5-n-1.  MUCH better IMO.  The Acurite stations are always on sale and you get get Facebook discount codes.  Even with exchange and shipping you should be within your budget.  Also, you could spend another $100  and get a Meteobridge to read the Aculink and then do all sorts of cool stuff like populate SQL databases on your network.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline astrolus

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:14:10 PM »
OK Thanks for your answer.

I am looking on the acurite website and I see that they have a lot a models.

Can you advise a model ?

In Canada, I can have the AcuRite 01057RM directly from Canada (no conversion fee and no border taxes) , from amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/AcuRite-01057RM-Weather-Environment-System/dp/B00T0K8MN8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462925216&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=acurite+2032

Is it a good model ? Is there a better model ?
Is it compatible with meteobridge and cumulus software ?

Thanks !

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »
As long as it comes with the Aculink box it will work with Meteobridge.  The picture shows the Aculink but the description does not specify.  Ask.  You need USB to a PC/Raspberry Pi to use Cumulus.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »
You need USB to a PC/Raspberry Pi to use Cumulus.
I don't believe the Acurite will work with either version of Cumulus.

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:34 PM »
You need USB to a PC/Raspberry Pi to use Cumulus.
I don't believe the Acurite will work with either version of Cumulus.

Paul

From sandaysoft.com:  "Cumulus MX, a cross platform version of Cumulus which runs on Windows, Linux (including the Raspberry Pi) and Mac OS X, is currently in beta test. See the forum for more information."

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:48 PM »
But the station type still needs to be supported, which the Acurite is not.

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »
But the station type still needs to be supported, which the Acurite is not.

Paul

You are basically correct Paul.  http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Supported_Devices#My_station_is_unsupported_-_Can_I_use_Cumulus.3F  However, it would not take much to output the Easyweather data string and then you could use Cmx: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/EasyWeather_Format

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »
Agreed, creating a compatible Easyweather data source will make it useable with Cumulus, and I think both Cumulus 1 and MX.  Though I have no idea how that is done, nor what the limitations there are with that.

Paul

Offline astrolus

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:24:34 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

I understand that Acurite is NOT compatible with Cumulus software.

I could be possible to convert  Acurite datas in "easyweather" format and import in Cumulus, but has anybody done this before ?
I am not very good in tech stuff... programming and so... I rather have something that is already working.

I looked at the Acurite software "PC connect"... there is nothing to browse the datas and make statistics... it is useless...

It is not interresting for me to have a personnal weather station if I can't make monthly and yearly statistics, make graphes, browse and store the datas for years.

The two main thinks that I want to do with a weather station are :
1- Store the datas in order to make graphs and stats.
2- Remote live access on the internet.

So, finaly,... must I forget about Acurite and go with Tycon ?

Thanks !

Marie

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
YEs, folks have written stuff to create the Easyweather.dat file but I cannot say for certain if there is a Meteobridge version.  The Meteobridge forum might have a clue there).

Acurite's PC Connect offers a download (up to 2 weeks worth) of data in an Excel compatible .CSV file:  you can graph from that or get fancy and load it into an Access or even SQL database.

Meteobridge has a whole host of graphing/browsing features - some free, others not.  The Meteobridge Wiki explains all that.  Or like I said earlier, write your own database and graph away!  Like http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2015/02/storing-weather-station-data-mysql-meteobridge/

Look - it is your money and while some are happy with the FO clones like this Tycon, I would not recommend it.  Thank goodness for Costco's return policy.  :)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

I understand that Acurite is NOT compatible with Cumulus software.

I could be possible to convert  Acurite datas in "easyweather" format and import in Cumulus, but has anybody done this before ?
I am not very good in tech stuff... programming and so... I rather have something that is already working.

I looked at the Acurite software "PC connect"... there is nothing to browse the datas and make statistics... it is useless...

It is not interresting for me to have a personnal weather station if I can't make monthly and yearly statistics, make graphes, browse and store the datas for years.

The two main thinks that I want to do with a weather station are :
1- Store the datas in order to make graphs and stats.
2- Remote live access on the internet.

So, finaly,... must I forget about Acurite and go with Tycon ?

Thanks !

Marie
As far as the cheap stations, I actually liked the Tycon. Bought one back in September. Have had little problem with it. And for a cheap unit, it actually compared closely with my Davis VP2+. Even the solar and UV readings were consistent with the VP2+. Plus you can separate the sensors for better siting.

Also has a built-in data logger.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:16:32 PM »
I saw a Tycon for less than $117 recently, which is a good deal! If it would work with meteobridge, I would pick one up now.

http://www.balticnetworks.com/tycon-power-systems-proweatherstation-data-logging-wireless-weather-station-tp2700wc.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:20:25 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline astrolus

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

I am still wondering which one to buy...

At first glance, the acurite is attractive with beautiful display, colors, marketing, etc...
But the Tycon seems a little bit less gadget, a little bit more professionnal, with more sensors (UV and light sensors) and the sensors can be separated, not "all in one". It is just my feeling.

I read conflic arguments about acurite and tycon.
Some say tycon is scrap, others say tycon is as good as davis... some say acurite is a lot more modern and quality, others say it is only gadget.

I don't know what to believe.

Finaly I think I can run a PC 24/7 to store the datas from my weather station and post on wunderground. I can use my old Asus "eeePC", dedicated only for that.
The only problem is, if there is a power cut or if the PC restart for any reason, when I am not at home (for example, if I am on a 3 weeks holiday away), I will lose my data (no more data online until I come back from my holidays, and moreover I will lose data for my stats on the PC storage).

As for the live data on wunderground, it seems easier with Tycon. Just connect it on a PC and use the "smartweather" software from Tycon.

Acurite seems more complicated, the software by acurite posts datas to their website "my backyard weather", but can only posts data to wunderground every 15 minutes.
If we want to transfer to wunderground more often, we need to connect a meteobridge on the aculink and then ... I don't know... we need to be very good at technical stuff because there is no software that can read datas on acurite format.

So I think I will buy Tycon but I am still not sure...

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »
Anyone who tells you Tycon is as good as Davis is well, let's just say I have some swampland that might interest you.

As for using an eeePC - BTDT.  It will generally work but unless you get a huge UPS and/or modify the hardware, it WILL NOT boot up after a power failure.  Been there - done that too!  The BIOS in the eeePC does not support resume/restart.

As for software to read the bridge:  http://kevin-key.blogspot.ca/  And there are other solutions as well.

If I were you, I would do a LOT more reading before I buy.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »
others say tycon is as good as davis...
I would take such comment with a grain of salt.

I am not knocking Tycon or AcuRite as have not used them and no doubt there are lots of people who like their station and suits their needs.  Unfortunately not all makes or models have all the things that a person would like.

Paul

Offline astrolus

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »
As for software to read the bridge:  http://kevin-key.blogspot.ca/  And there are other solutions as well.

Thanks ! This is very interesting !
So there is a solution already developed to post datas on wunderground !

It still need to run a PC 24/7, but I think I will do it anyway with my eeePC. Just too bad for the power cuts..

Offline astrolus

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 11:38:08 AM »
But the UV and light sensors on the Tycon still make me hesitate.
I thinks it is very usefull, with ligh sensor we can know if it is a sunny or a cloudy day, and UV index is good to know since I have a friend who must protect himself from UV for medical reason.

Is there a light sensor and a UV sensor for the Acurite ? Something I can buy separatly and add to the system ?

Is there anybody here who really have the Tycon TP2700WC  ???

It seems a very rare model or it is too recent, because I can't find reviews nor owners anywhere...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:41:12 AM by astrolus »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
If you have Meteobridge you don´t need your PC 24/7. Meteobridge is a tiny device, with minimum energy consumption and absolutely quiet, which can send data to all sorts of different weather networks or your own server at various time intervals starting from 5s. And the standard version is only 60 euros + the router, which you can get for as little as 30 dollars. And that would take care of your station sending data to the internet and staying online.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »

Is there a light sensor and a UV sensor for the Acurite ? Something I can buy separatly and add to the system ?

Is there anybody here who really have the Tycon TP2700WC  ???

It seems a very rare model or it is too recent, because I can't find reviews nor owners anywhere...

No to the acurite light sensor.

Yes, Skywatch owns the station and says it is good. That's good enough for me. He knows his stuff around here.

Offline astrolus

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »
If you have Meteobridge you don´t need your PC 24/7. Meteobridge is a tiny device, with minimum energy consumption and absolutely quiet, which can send data to all sorts of different weather networks or your own server at various time intervals starting from 5s. And the standard version is only 60 euros + the router, which you can get for as little as 30 dollars. And that would take care of your station sending data to the internet and staying online.

Thanks for your answer.
OK I didn't understand that Meteobridge don't need a PC at all. It's cool.
But, I also would like to store datas in order to make monthly and yearly statistics. If the datas go directly to internet without beeing stored on my PC, how I will have datas for my stats ?
Does the website (like wunderground) store datas for a long period of time ? And then, can we download our datas from website (wunderground...) to PC ?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:48 AM »
Double check with Docbee and be sure this version of Tycon works with Meteobridge. I am thinking I read somewhere that it doesn't. This is a new station that has different bits than other fine offset clones.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »

Thanks for your answer.
OK I didn't understand that Meteobridge don't need a PC at all. It's cool.
But, I also would like to store datas in order to make monthly and yearly statistics. If the datas go directly to internet without beeing stored on my PC, how I will have datas for my stats ?
Does the website (like wunderground) store datas for a long period of time ? And then, can we download our datas from website (wunderground...) to PC ?

Yes, Weather Underground will store the data in 5 minute intervals. And you can also let Meteobridge to send data to your own server if you plan on having your own website.

Offline astrolus

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »
Yes, Weather Underground will store the data in 5 minute intervals. And you can also let Meteobridge to send data to your own server if you plan on having your own website.

Can we download the datas from wunderground back to our computer ?

I think that first I will run my eeePC 24/7 to store data and send to wunderground.
But one day, when I will have a little bit more experience, I will buy Meteobridge and I will try to make a MySQL database on a server.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 12:24:16 PM »
This is exactly what I do with my data. I have Meteobridge, which sends data to my server, where it is saved into MySQL database. Then I also send data to several weather networks, including WU, which is independent of the server.

Then I use my template to process all the data and display it on a webpage and my template also includes many scripts for graph export, data export and all that in various formats including JSON, XLS, CSV, TXT and PNG.

anything