Author Topic: Davis VP2 - internal temperature problems  (Read 22256 times)

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
Re: Davis VP2 - internal temperature problems
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
One of you young-ens here should review this whole thread and summarize the ideas that have been tried here so far, and indicate what worked and what didn't.  Then describe the best test setup that would possibly test or achieve what it is you want.  I have an old Vantage Pro 1 console and ISS that I might be willing to donate for the sake of finalizing this thread, attempt put an end to the squawking, and helping others determine if there is a way to meet or beat the specs as written from Davis.  I'm but an amateur and it was only a couple months ago that I learned the difference between a soldering gun and a soldering iron. Heck, I would even go out and buy a fancy soldering iron just so that I could remove the temperature thingy for testing, or remove the back-light LEDs for testing or whatever as long as someone gave me the directions on what to test, what to try, and what to do. I would even get the neighbor kid to come over and take fancy digital pictures of the whole process just to help the visual learners.  I'm willing to cannibalize my old console for the sake of science and knowledge, and to put this thread to rest.

What say ye?
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline ShastaSnoDog

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »
One of you young-ens here should review this whole thread and summarize the ideas that have been tried here so far, and indicate what worked and what didn't.  Then describe the best test setup that would possibly test or achieve what it is you want.  I have an old Vantage Pro 1 console and ISS that I might be willing to donate for the sake of finalizing this thread, attempt put an end to the squawking, and helping others determine if there is a way to meet or beat the specs as written from Davis.  I'm but an amateur and it was only a couple months ago that I learned the difference between a soldering gun and a soldering iron. Heck, I would even go out and buy a fancy soldering iron just so that I could remove the temperature thingy for testing, or remove the back-light LEDs for testing or whatever as long as someone gave me the directions on what to test, what to try, and what to do. I would even get the neighbor kid to come over and take fancy digital pictures of the whole process just to help the visual learners.  I'm willing to cannibalize my old console for the sake of science and knowledge, and to put this thread to rest.

What say ye?
Hi Piconut,

Thanks for your kind offer.  I appreciate it. 

I still use the VP2 Pro Plus’s predecessor, a Weather Monitor II that still accurately reports both inside and outside temperature and humidity.  I bought this new VP2 system for a different location, both inside and outside.  I have an investment of both time and money in the wind speed and direction sensor at the 33-foot recommended height for the VP2.  I want to retain those investments.

It’s my intent to have the VP2 indoor sensor display the ambient temperature within Davis specifications with the WeatherLinkIP data logger attached or disconnected and with the light on or off.  The old Weather Monitor II can, and Gotty1 has found a simple way to make the VP2 Pro Plus accurate within Davis specs.

The Davis technical support manager has stated that placement of the indoor sensors on the heat-producing board and where it is also influenced by heat from the light was not the best choice.  He said that Davis lacks the time to propose a solution. 

There is no need for you to donate or cannibalize your old console.  Gotty1 and probably others have already researched and corrected the VP2 errors.  I am willing to wait until someone posts any method.  I have the tools and am willing and able to make the same correction. 

I understand that others could care less because they purchased the VP2 as an outdoor weather station and they do not worry about its indoor accuracy.  Those statements are not helpful for those of us who want what we purchased.  I apologize if asking for help is seen as pissing and moaning.  I suggest those who are satisfied and uninterested in corrective methods avoid this thread.

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
The old Weather Monitor II can, and Gotty1 has found a simple way to make the VP2 Pro Plus accurate within Davis specs.

There is no need for you to donate or cannibalize your old console.  Gotty1 and probably others have already researched and corrected the VP2 errors.  I am willing to wait until someone posts any method.  I have the tools and am willing and able to make the same correction. 

Well, if someone is going to try to perform this modification, please post step-by-step pictures for those of us whose ADD and/or short memory loss has crept in way too soon.

And please post step-by-step pictures for those of us whose ADD and/or short memory loss has crept in way too soon. 

Thanks!
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »
FWIW I have a little microfan I scavenged from a laptop.  When I get around to it I'm just going to hack out a little square from the back of the console where the thermistor is and mount the fan over it.  Power it via USB and off I go.

Offline pomonabill221

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »
When I first got my VP2, I wanted the backlight on all the time, and did notice the rise in inside temperature.

I took the console apart and noticed that the thermistor/hygrometer sensors were ABOVE the drive transistor/current limit resistor for the led's used in for the backlight, and that was increasing the displayed temperature due to heating.

What I did was to remove (desolder) the thermistor and remotely mount it with a short cable outside of the console, so there would be no influence from the electronics.

Now I have correct temperature indication with the backlight on.

I took pictures of the board and the location of the thermistor, if anyone is interested, I will try and find them.

Offline ShastaSnoDog

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Your photographs will be very helpful.  Please do post them.

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
I took pictures of the board and the location of the thermistor, if anyone is interested, I will try and find them.

Yes, please! Pictures! 
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
I'll third that for pics please  :grin:

Offline pomonabill221

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2014, 10:16:44 PM »
ok... ok
I found my pictures!!!  Only one really shows the mod, and I added annotations to it.
The other shows the thermistor after I de-soldered it and added a short wire to it to locate it outside and away from the console.

As I remember, the thermistor was a little tough to remove because the holes in the PC board were small and the leads fit a little snug.
Didn't want to cook it but I was able to get it out without damage.

I pointed to the lcd LED drive transistor, but my mod does not use the transistor and I moved both the transistor (a 2n2222) and the led current limit resistor to the top of the case and enclosed it in heat shrink.

What I should mention is that IF you do de-solder the thermistor and move it outside or on a short piece of wire, modifying the led driver should not be necessary.
I had just tried that first and when I didn't like it, I relocated the thermistor.
That would have been MUCH easier to do in the first place....!

Sorry, where I said lcd drive transistor, I SHOULD have said LED!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:33:51 PM by pomonabill221 »

Offline ShastaSnoDog

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »
Thank you!

Offline pomonabill221

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »
My pleasure!  Hope it helps those that want to try this mod.
Just remember, the leads on the thermistor fit rather snug and you don't want to get the thermistor too hot or it may fall apart.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
Since several of you have had the pro2 console apart, has anyone found a trimmer pot to adjust the lcd contrast?

On my old Weather Monitor II console, I had taken the inside temp sensor out and replaced it with my 25' stainless steel probe that came with the original weather station, tossed in my pool so I could monitor the pool temp. 
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!