Author Topic: Davis VP2 Console Humidity Sensor  (Read 1556 times)

Offline WA3SCM

Davis VP2 Console Humidity Sensor
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
Vantage Pro 2
Product 6312
Model 6152
IC 3788A-6312
Vintage 2004

Inside humidity indication failed reporting 100% continuously.  Could not figure out how to find sensor info on this site so cracked the case to discover the humidity sensor is separate from the temperature rtd sensor.  Markings on the humidity sensor are 02465.  It is a discontinued Vishay capacitive humidity sensor 2322 691 90001 with Digikey part number BC1333-ND.  Tickle the case open and see how beautiful gold can be.

Digikey part BC2325-ND Vishay part 2322 691 90001/HUMIDITY-SENSE-E seems to be a newer version with identical characteristics.  This part is stocked and may be available from other suppliers.

Web research indicates that simple capacitive humidity sensors are usually used in an oscillator circuit such that changes in humidity cause changes in oscillator frequency.  I assume the Davis circuit does something similar with either a separate chip or directly by the microprocessor itself.  If you know what circuit Davis uses I would appreciate a reply.
later, slater

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Davis VP2 Console Humidity Sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »
Vantage Pro 2
Product 6312
Model 6152
IC 3788A-6312
Vintage 2004

Inside humidity indication failed reporting 100% continuously.  Could not figure out how to find sensor info on this site so cracked the case to discover the humidity sensor is separate from the temperature rtd sensor.  Markings on the humidity sensor are 02465.  It is a discontinued Vishay capacitive humidity sensor 2322 691 90001 with Digikey part number BC1333-ND.  Tickle the case open and see how beautiful gold can be.

Digikey part BC2325-ND Vishay part 2322 691 90001/HUMIDITY-SENSE-E seems to be a newer version with identical characteristics.  This part is stocked and may be available from other suppliers.

Web research indicates that simple capacitive humidity sensors are usually used in an oscillator circuit such that changes in humidity cause changes in oscillator frequency.  I assume the Davis circuit does something similar with either a separate chip or directly by the microprocessor itself.  If you know what circuit Davis uses I would appreciate a reply.
later, slater

Why don’t you call Davis support and ask them? Those of us that have Davis equipment appreciate Davis support on products out of warranty. A lot of manufacturers won’t do that so kiddos to them. You may have to wait on hold for awhile but for free....
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WA3SCM

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:44:51 PM »
One of our representatives will be with you shortly.

You are number 2 in the queue. Your wait time will be approximately 7 minute(s).

Thank you for your patience!

Please feel free to contact us in other ways Monday to Friday 7am-5:30pm Pacific Time:

Customer Service (US+CAN): 800-678-3669
Technical Support: 510-732-7814
Email: sales@davisnet.com

Waited 20  minutes but no show.  Will try phone tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Offline WA3SCM

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
Called again and got a Technical Service guy.  No they would not sell me the part, but I could send it in for repair at some fixed price.  Not unreasonable if you do not want to fix it yourself.  Bought a replacement humidity sensor and installed it with no problem.  Took off working and the indoor humidity matches a sling psychrometer.  I am happy with this.

I did check the circuitry to find the humidity sensor acts like a variable capacitor in the timing circuit of a 555.  This is a pretty old console.

Offline DSCoe

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 01:31:00 PM »
I know this topic has been dormant a while but...
I want to express by sincere thanks to the OP! I just had the same problem with my VP2 console RH sensor. My unit has EXACTLY the same specs and same sensor as the OP. I went to Digi-Key to get the sensor and found it was discontinued.  :-(
The good news however, that I want to pass on, is that there is a direct substitute: BC2325-ND ($16.19 ea)

anything