Author Topic: Beautifying the ground around weather station installation  (Read 1509 times)

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
I bought my Acurite weather station just before the Winter began. I temporarily "installed" it by using a couple of galvanized threaded pipes stuck inside an umbrella stand.

Now that the weather is getting better, I'd like to do something a bit nicer. I'm not sure if I want to switch to a wooden post. The height of my station is about 8'. I need to keep it within reasonable height for maintenance, and I don't have a big ladder.

Assuming I keep the pipe, is it worth burying in concrete - or just keep using the umbrella stand?

Finally - has anyone built anything around the base of their weather station, to make it look nicer? I have a bunch of pavers that were used to make a ring around a now-removed tree, wondering if a raised bed of some sort would be worthy.

Thanks for any tips!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Beautifying the ground around weather station installation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
I was considering doing something similar. I installed my Davis ISS using "deck blocks" to support a tripod. I have gotten some "what is it?" questions from the neighbors, but no complaints (yet).

I hesitate to add something that will absorb heat then radiate it back into the sensors. (this applies regardless of brand of station).

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Beautifying the ground around weather station installation
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »
I would have never thought about an umbrella stand.  Cool idea!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!