Author Topic: WS-1001 WIFI going beyound wunderground  (Read 4757 times)

Offline bkrell

• KLASHREV46
WS-1001 WIFI going beyound wunderground
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Hi all,
I installed my WS-1001 a little over a week ago and enjoy the heck out of it.  My brother is the true weather geek in my family but I guess some of it rubbed off on me after all those years.  Wife still thinks it's crazy to have a weather station.  At any rate, I know a lot of folks feed the data into their own website and I was just wondering...can you do that with the WS-1001 if you're linked up to weather underground?  I don't have anything installed on my computer so I don't know how all that interfaces.  Just didn't know since it seemed like you only have one option using the console as to where to direct the data online.  As in their's only one field available and it's currently directed to weather underground?

Thanks for tolerating the newbie question.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WS-1001 WIFI going beyound wunderground
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
You can scrape your data off f Wunderground with software running on your computer and redirect it to your own website.  Or get a Meteobridge (Ambient sells this preconfigured as "Weatherbridge") and send it to a whole lot of places including personal webpages, etc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline bkrell

• KLASHREV46
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »
Ah ok gotcha!  Thanks for the help!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
the weather display software now supports this station (via WIFI)
and with that you can update lots of services and or a web page etc

Offline Aussie Susan

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
I'm just finishing off a WeeWx driver that talks directly to the WS1001 (tested only on my device which is also a clone of the HP1000 and labelled XC0422) over the local WiFi. This does not interfere with the console talking directly to WU( or whatever you set it up to send data to) but the WeeWx can then send the data on elsewhere (I send it to WOW and also a local web server). All this runs on a Raspberry Pi so it should run on just about any network connected device that can run WeeWx.
Susan

Offline ronhanson01

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:51:46 AM »
the weather display software now supports this station (via WIFI)
and with that you can update lots of services and or a web page etc

Weather display works perfectly on the WS-1001 for me

Offline bkrell

• KLASHREV46
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
OK great!  Thanks for the help gang! I have another, more obscure question if anyone is still listening.  I'm trying to upload a pic to weather underground of my PWS.  When I go through the process described on the website and click the upload button, I get a warning telling me I don't have a picture account and to click a link to create one.  When I click said link, it tells me I'm already signed in.  Catch-22!  Anyone know the way around this?  I emailed support days ago with no response.

Offline Dr__Bob

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
I'm just finishing off a WeeWx driver that talks directly to the WS1001 (tested only on my device which is also a clone of the HP1000 and labelled XC0422) over the local WiFi. This does not interfere with the console talking directly to WU( or whatever you set it up to send data to) but the WeeWx can then send the data on elsewhere (I send it to WOW and also a local web server). All this runs on a Raspberry Pi so it should run on just about any network connected device that can run WeeWx.
Susan

Susan sent me a copy of her code and I've got it running on my WS1001.  It's been running fine, also on a Raspberry Pi.  My console is now sending data to WU (more or less by default), plus now to weewx on my RPi.  From weewx, the options are basically limitless!

Offline Aussie Susan

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
WooHoo - First test case outside of my workbench. Great news.
Susan

Offline deepblue

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
Do you still need an ObserverIP or Meteostick to push data to other services such as CWOP?  I just got my WS1001 up and running yesterday here in Tennessee.  I haven't been able to get the meteobridge to connect though.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline Dr__Bob

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
With Susan's weewx driver, you can get the data from your WS1001 console over wifi into weewx.  From there, it is very straight-forward to get the data to CWOP or any number of other sites.  I'm running Susan's driver to get the data into weewx for my own local web pages.  I'm using the built-in capability of the WS1001 console to get the data to Wunderground.  This has been working now since mid January.

(Susan's driver is currently available through the weewx-development google user group.) Hopefully she'll get it polished up soon and it might then show up on the weewx twiki page, and eventually(?) be included in the weewx base code.  I know that there are a lot of people using the ws1001 station.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:41:27 AM by Dr__Bob »

Offline deepblue

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »
With Susan's weewx driver, you can get the data from your WS1001 console over wifi into weewx.  From there, it is very straight-forward to get the data to CWOP or any number of other sites.  I'm running Susan's driver to get the data into weewx for my own local web pages.  I'm using the built-in capability of the WS1001 console to get the data to Wunderground.  This has been working now since mid January.

(Susan's driver is currently available through the weewx-development google user group.) Hopefully she'll get it polished up soon and it might then show up on the weewx twiki page, and eventually(?) be included in the weewx base code.  I know that there are a lot of people using the ws1001 station.)

Thanks Dr_Bob.  I'd like to try and make use of the Meteobridge if at all possible since I've already spent money on the license and the unit itself.  I suppose I'll have to purchase an ObserverIP unit to make this happen so it can communicate with the meteobridge.

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
. . How about for WS-2902? can that also be captured using weeax?

Offline steepleian

• The Claydons Community Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »
WooHoo - First test case outside of my workbench. Great news.
Susan

Hi Susan,

I have just installed your WS-1001/HP1000 clone driver for Weewx on my Pi but cannot get it to connect with the console. Are there any settings that I need to make within the console itself? Currently the console is sending data to Weather Underground and Brian Underdown's Dashboard34 template on my website - could there be a conflict here?

Steepleian
www.claydonsweather.org.uk

Offline Aussie Susan

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 11:21:40 PM »
The RPi and the console need to be on the same subnet right at the start so that the driver can broadcast to the find the console.
As mentioned in the documentation and comments in the config file section, you need to make sure the network mask is correctly set. It defaults to a 10. subnet so if you are on a 192.168. or other subnet then you will need to alter the mask.
(Unfortunately I can't find a way of automatically working out the active subnet of a system that applies across operating systems and can handle multiple interfaces. Even spawning of a subprocess has its problems with which command to actually execute and parse the output. If anyone knows of a reliable and cross-platform way to firstly work out the IP address and then the correct network mask then please let me know.)
Just a guess that this might be the problem - if not then please let me know more details including the appropriate log messages.
Susan

Offline mwall

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
(Unfortunately I can't find a way of automatically working out the active subnet of a system that applies across operating systems and can handle multiple interfaces. Even spawning of a subprocess has its problems with which command to actually execute and parse the output. If anyone knows of a reliable and cross-platform way to firstly work out the IP address and then the correct network mask then please let me know.)

susan,

did you try broadcasting?

Code: [Select]
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_BROADCAST, 1)
s.sendto(msg, ('<broadcast>', port))
s.close()

where 'msg' is the message that tells the station to respond with its ip address.  when the station responds, you've got the ip address, then you can use that to do direct queries on the station.

i think the msg is something like this:

Code: [Select]
'PC2000\x00\x00SEARCH\x00\x00\x00\xcd\xfd\x94,\xfb\xe3\x0b\x0c\xfb\xe3\x0bP\xab\xa5w\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xdd\xbfw'

m

Offline Aussie Susan

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 12:26:41 AM »
That is what it does not BUT the broadcast needs to be to the subnet broadcast address (unless I have got things wrong in my reading and trial runs on the subject).
In my early experiments on my iMac (connected via WiFi to the 10. subnet) and my RPi (connected through the iMac which is therefore on a 192.168. subnet), I could not hear from the console (which is on the 10. subnet) except from the iMac using the 10. broadcast address. According to the network sniffing I did, I could see the broadcast going out if I tried from the RPi but there was no reply. As soon as I broadcast on the 10. subnet, the console responded.
Susan

Offline 2Tall

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 06:04:36 AM »
For whatever it's worth, Weather Underground offers free flash-based widgets (i.e. Weather Stickers) already coded for your PWS for websites.  Perhaps, you're looking for something a bit more encompassing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:14:58 PM by 2Tall »

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
OK great!  Thanks for the help gang! I have another, more obscure question if anyone is still listening.  I'm trying to upload a pic to weather underground of my PWS.  When I go through the process described on the website and click the upload button, I get a warning telling me I don't have a picture account and to click a link to create one.  When I click said link, it tells me I'm already signed in.  Catch-22!  Anyone know the way around this?  I emailed support days ago with no response.
I believe WU dropped Wunder photos and I don't know a way to post a pic of your station. I would like to post a more recent pic of my station but don't know how.
Billy

Offline steepleian

• The Claydons Community Weather
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 02:47:02 AM »
The RPi and the console need to be on the same subnet right at the start so that the driver can broadcast to the find the console.
As mentioned in the documentation and comments in the config file section, you need to make sure the network mask is correctly set. It defaults to a 10. subnet so if you are on a 192.168. or other subnet then you will need to alter the mask.
Just a guess that this might be the problem - if not then please let me know more details including the appropriate log messages.
Susan

Thanks for your reply Susan. Checked everything was setup correctly and still no go. In the end, as it was on a test server, decided on a complete rebuild. It's now firing all cylinders and happily generating a realtime.txt file in conjunction with the crt extension.

Steepleian
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:58:06 AM by steepleian »

anything