Author Topic: Winter '16-'17  (Read 57181 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Winter '16-'17
« Reply #426 on: January 17, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
Yeah I know John, now look at Florida, CZ is 2.5 times smaller :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #427 on: January 17, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »
John, there was just an article on one of the news websites here in CZ about driving in very cold weather and as a curiosity there were some videos from Russia showing how well different cars cope at very low temperatures (especially with diesel engines :D)

Just wondering, the coldest T in the videos is -40 (C or F, you decide :D), what car do you have and how easy is it to start the engine in such T?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/OXm2FaXqskE[/youtube]

Listen to some of those noises these engines make.... Im not sure I would have the guts to continue trying.... In some cases I really thought the whole thing is just going to burst :D

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #428 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
  Interesting.  Old Diesel if they had longer preheat time they may have started quicker. problem with the computer controls in cars now days.
 My orange beast has 3 cylinder diesel and after  10-15 sec manual preheat it  fires off and  idles to get oil moving  thru engine.  The wife Mercedes ML-320  starts  with just an bump on the ignition. She tends to hold the ignition bit more then I do. My  Ford F150  starts with no problem either. Bump the starter  to get  engine rotating then let flywheel take over. Warm up for about 5 minutes or so  on all then move slowly  for tires and  metal parts to warm up.

Thanks Jac

John

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #429 on: January 17, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »
Yes, some cars can handle this :D

-73 F :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/K_DX4ghCgtU[/youtube]

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
    • Northwest Arkansas Weather.com
« Reply #430 on: January 17, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
Jáchym;

For some reason that reminded me to ask you what (actually) caused the gym roof to collapse over in your area, was it snow?   
Best Regards
tbrasel

Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Hardware: Davis 6153 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 with FARS
Software: VWS V15.00

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #431 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85AMKsw8Png

This was back in the 50's and it was diesel/electric.  24 vdc motor in each wheel. operated in all  type weather and needed no roads.

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #432 on: January 17, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »
35 below and dropping and it only 1630 here going be an 4 dog night.  My mercury min/max is  no longer recording as temps drop.

John

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #433 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
Jáchym;

For some reason that reminded me to ask you what (actually) caused the gym roof to collapse over in your area, was it snow?

Most likely not,  it was just days before it was officially supposed to be opened and so far it looks like it was poorly designed and built.  Fortunately noone was injured

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #434 on: January 17, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
1830  and hit the -40 mark and mesowest is showing some stations at-45 or better

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #435 on: January 18, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »

Fairbanks hit 50 below. Elevation kept us out of that range. By the way is this enough justication CW  for wanting an Rainwise....

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #436 on: January 18, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
  Alaska Temperature Extremes.
:  Highest Temperature Last 24 Hours.
:   50 at Annette
:  Lowest Temperature Last 12 Hours.
:  -53 at Tanana
:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #437 on: January 18, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »
By the way is this enough justication CW  for wanting an Rainwise....
John
If that's meant for me, it's unnecessary, as I don't need to justify anything for you. I like RW, it was my second choice, and the coldest I've ever gotten here with my VP2 is 18F. That's justification enough for me to have a VP2, and not a RW, among other important reasons to me.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #438 on: January 18, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »

Fairbanks hit 50 below. Elevation kept us out of that range. By the way is this enough justication CW  for wanting an Rainwise....

John

Even though it got colder again here (currently approximately -9C, +16F) I have to say Im jealous John, send us some cold front to Europe :D

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #439 on: January 18, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »

If that's meant for me, it's unnecessary, as I don't need to justify anything for you. I like RW, it was my second choice, and the coldest I've ever gotten here with my VP2 is 18F. That's justification enough for me to have a VP2, and not a RW, among other important reasons to me.

Yes it was. The way you came across at me  was like why do you need something that records -60.  That was why I told you to look it up. It was from you justify why do you need an station to measure  60 below. Not every one  lives where you can walk around in Tee and shorts all year long.  Seem like  never can say anything here with out explain  the reason or  ruffling feathers. That the reason gussuk.

John

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #440 on: January 18, 2017, 05:40:38 PM »

Yes it was. The way you came across at me  was like why do you need something that records -60.  That was why I told you to look it up. It was from you justify why do you need an station to measure  60 below. Not every one  lives where you can walk around in Tee and shorts all year long.  Seem like  never can say anything here with out explain  the reason or  ruffling feathers. That the reason gussuk.

John
What the hell is your problem?? I haven't said WORD ONE about this, except asking you how cold you've been at your house 3 MONTHS AGO, and all of a sudden you post this BS. Obviously you're bored and want to pick a fight. Go find some other whipping boy, cause this one ain't playing.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #441 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
This winter is definitely one of the coldest since 2000. The temps are not extremely low, but they are definitely below the average, but more importantly, it has been like this practically since New Year.

Few minutes ago the temperature got below -12C (10F) again. On the attached map you can see how the Arctic front moved right to the center of Europe, the arrow shows you where I live. You can also see that we are now much colder than even places much more further North

Also the pressure is quite high at 1036hPa (30.6inHg). It is supposed to be like this for at least a few more days. Daily max is usually around -5C (23F)

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #442 on: January 21, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
Here is what in store for tonight.

Central and Eastern Interior...Pretty tricky forecast. The
decaying front/convergence zone will not be moving very much, so
hard to determine which areas will clear and which will stay
cloudy. Expect the flurries to taper back a bit, but there is a
constant feed of moisture from Cook Inlet north into the interior
through this evening. Still expect clouds to hang around between
Manley Hot Springs to Eagle. From Tanana to Allakaket to Bettles
to Coldfoot expect temperatures to fall to near 50 below. Lows in
the Upper Tanana Valley will be in the 40s below. Most other areas
will see temperatures fall into the 30s below. Winds generally
light.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #443 on: January 21, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
Sorry guys, but I'm having to cut a bunch of grass and weeds today, sweating my butt off out there (only 81 degrees F ATT).
 A couple of hundred miles to the south, in our old homeplace of the Valley, at this moment it is more than 93 freakin' degrees F in Brownsville, TX.
Don't beleive me, check it here:  http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_sfc.php?inv=0&t=cur  , (you can specify previous hours too)
Around here the plant life has been thoroughly confused, some of it, like huisache, is even showing signs of leafing out, with many others (and huisache is normally a solid indicator of spring, leafing around Easter w/o fail). A few weeks ago we had some rain and it went from the normal mostly brown winter vegetation to springtime green in a few days time. Been cutting grass all 'winter' long, dang it. From the way the cardinals and other birds are behaving, they're getting 'tricked' too (appear to be beginning mating time, months early, I've even been seeing effen butterflies fluttering around).

Y'all serious WX followers do know that this rather abnormal winter is mostly due to the probable Climate Change caused displacement of the Arctic region winter cold pool onto the Northern Hemisphere landmasses, don't you? Temps and ice formation near the N Pole are way off of normal towards warm/hot. Meanwhile Antarctica ice is breaking up on an unprecedented scale (in geological timescale, not ours). WASF'ed now.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #444 on: January 21, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
You better not talk about climate change or we are going to have another flame debate here... (I tried many times :D)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #445 on: January 21, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
The Chicago area has had a real weird winter. We got more than our share of cold and snow in December and early January. It is now mid-January and we are getting rain and today it got 59F at my house. 2 inches of rain this week that fell on frozen ground has made water standing around in several locations. This rain was helpful as it has pushed me to calibrate my two VP2s, something I should have done long ago. The rain mechanisms in these Davis products are either new or were replaced in 2016. My CoCo gauge got 1.26 inches of rain, one of my VP2s got .80 and the other got .59! All relatively close to each other, very little wind and the rainfall was fairly slow and consistent. And yes, all gauges were clear of snow and ice before the rains arrived. Time to get serious before spring rains arrive! I just purchased a Davis tripod for this calibration exercise that I will use to temporarily mount one of my VP2s. I will place it right next to a table that will have my CoCo gauge and my Rainwise 111, so all three will be at about the same height and within three feet of each other and I can ensure the tippers are level! Once I get one VP2 calibrated I will swap it out for the other VP2! I will try actual rainfall at first, then compare the calibrated VP2 to the Davis' approach to calibrating a VP2. I will win this battle! We will probably get snow before I get done, but at least I will a process in place to get my VP2s close to reality when reporting rain.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:03:16 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #446 on: January 21, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
My CoCo gauge got 1.26 inches of rain, one of my VP2s got .80 and the other got .59! All relatively close to each other
What the.... :shock:  After accidentally jacking up my RW tipper, I used the Coco (and scale) to re-calibrate it and they have been perfectly identical since. Very pleased! =D>

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #447 on: January 21, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
So far for an warmer Artic    we are having an normal winter with our temps and snow fall. Temps fell in line with the records and  not just the past 30 years either. Snow fall is on the normal mark for lot of places here.  Now if only could send  some more of this cold stuff south.

John

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #448 on: January 21, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
My CoCo gauge got 1.26 inches of rain, one of my VP2s got .80 and the other got .59! All relatively close to each other
What the.... :shock:  After accidentally jacking up my RW tipper, I used the Coco (and scale) to re-calibrate it and they have been perfectly identical since. Very pleased! =D>
I really like the Raniwise 111 model. I ordered a couple more few days ago. Best price I've found is http://www.fondriest.com/rainwise-rainew-rainfall-gauges.htm plus $17 shipping for 2 units.

I need a backup gauge and plan on installing second unit on Davis station outside of town.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #449 on: January 21, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
So far for an warmer Artic    we are having an normal winter with our temps and snow fall. Temps fell in line with the records and  not just the past 30 years either. Snow fall is on the normal mark for lot of places here.  Now if only could send  some more of this cold stuff south.

John

Send some cold stuff west, or east, depends, Im about half way :D