Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 204246 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
Planned it perfectly. I dilly-dallied on the last leg of the return trip (Houston to home) so as to pull in about 10AM or so, hoping it would be at least in the 50s. It was but after a 26.8 degree low at 7AM! "Record low for this date" and 13 under "normal"! COLD! Heater's not open and swamp cooler's not closed so I would've froze my hiney off this AM if I came back overnite.

Brutal rain between Houston & San Antonio that had me hiding under a few bridges with fear of hail (ragtop) but none showed.

More overnite cold - upper 20s/low30s for the next few forecast days.

It hailed here in Portales Thursday night. Small itty bitty hail.

My dorm is nice and warm. They finally turned on the heaters a week ago.

Get that heater on before you freeze yourself!  :!:
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »
That storm just sort of ran right thru. Nothing in San Antonio but on the way there, the wind almost had me changing lanes and then the rain came. Nice temp drop had me thinking me hail. It looked like one of our desert storms with all the ruckus.

No doubt about the heater. Main reason I aimed at the sunny part of the day to come home. Normally, I would've rolled in about 3AM.

Spent the 60 degree afternoon wrapping the swamper in my ingenious Reflectix "pajamas" and the canvas cover over it (and rolling the hoses to the shed). Heat is running and I'm ready for tonite's mid-20s.

Driving around Florida beach-fronts with the top down in the hot sun 3 days ago and now I'm freezing in the desert...

Glad you got your dorm heaters up finally!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2010, 12:45:26 AM »
Glad you got your dorm heaters up finally!

Yep, and the campus has become a petri dish.

We have every flavor:

Common Cold
Flu
several stomach viruses
meningitis
other strange crap

I caught something twice: two weeks ago I had nausea and the runs. Gone in two days. Last monday I had those, plus other things; high fever, aches, sore throat. Had to go to ER, now the doctor appointments won't stop. And I'm behind on my required checkup and vaccinations. I doubt I'm the only one.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:47:54 AM by Chris H. »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »
Here comes the Pacific Eye Storm. Lovely. And the only thing New Mexico is getting?

Cooler temperatures.
 #-o ](*,) ](*,)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2010, 12:29:47 AM »
Geez, I've been getting those "Record Low Temp for this date" flags the last week and it's going to get colder???

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2010, 12:38:33 AM »
Geez, I've been getting those "Record Low Temp for this date" flags the last week and it's going to get colder???

It is mid-November after all…coldest part of the season is yet to come though. This is probably a taste.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
But I'm not ready yet!!!

I lost too much time over the summer and during the "get it done before the cold" time at the end of summer. What really hurts is coming home to the cold right after enjoying those warm FLA temps...  8-) brutal.

Sunday was slated to be fairly nice and now showing cooler and "breezy" down here.

La Nina forecast says to expect drier but harder cold snaps this winter. Can't wait...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2010, 01:01:51 PM »
But I'm not ready yet!!!

I lost too much time over the summer and during the "get it done before the cold" time at the end of summer. What really hurts is coming home to the cold right after enjoying those warm FLA temps...  8-) brutal.

Sunday was slated to be fairly nice and now showing cooler and "breezy" down here.

La Nina forecast says to expect drier but harder cold snaps this winter. Can't wait...

I hate those cold snaps (where the morning lows in Albuquerque are like, 5*…)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
My station's low is 13.6* - Jan 18 '08 and lowest wind chill is 9* - Dec 4 '09 BUT still no snow shovel in my garage!

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »
69* today and should be warmer tomorrow - then the winds from that storm to the north kick in.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2010, 11:31:50 PM »
69* today and should be warmer tomorrow - then the winds from that storm to the north kick in.

We drop from 74 on Sunday to the lower-to-mid 50s on Wednesday.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2010, 03:12:08 AM »
5 hours to go until the coldest part of the day and pushing 23°F already with 5-10MPH winds. A -5.6°F dew point and 18.0°F wetbulb.

Hope you're keeping warm, Chris!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »
5 hours to go until the coldest part of the day and pushing 23°F already with 5-10MPH winds. A -5.6°F dew point and 18.0°F wetbulb.

Hope you're keeping warm, Chris!

Yeah I'm keeping warm. Back in Albuquerque for the holidays…the lowest temp recorded last night was 12*F at 4:22AM. Gotta head back to Portales on Sunday…study week is next week, finals after that. It did snow here Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I went down to 18.7* at 5:05A beating my year's low of 19.2* on Jan 9th. Wind chill down to 11.5* - almost at my station record of 9*!

And it's only Thanksgiving time. Can't wait to see what the cold months have in store...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2010, 02:04:28 PM »
Wind was howling murder this morning here in Portales. Now it is totally calm, clouds are moving in. Rain this afternoon, snow this evening. Low of 19 tonight. On my way back from Albuquerque last night I ran into some snow between Edgewood and Santa Rosa. Not a whole lot, but I-40 did get a little slick. From Santa Rosa to Melrose the winds were atrocious. By the time I arrived in Portales late last night, winds were dead. Weird weather.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
44* for a high today at 1:30. At around 3:30, along with 25MPH gusts, - SNOW FLURRIES! Only for about 30 minutes or so and nothing to collect on the ground.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2010, 01:05:05 AM »
Hit 42 here, before the winds died, then the clouds moved in. Temperature dropped to 37 at around 2 this afternoon, and continued to hover there until around 7ish, and that's when it further dropped. Clovis saw snow. We saw clouds. Another system on its way here by the weekend. Please snow [-o<

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »
Everything in the area is supposed to see a low of under 20 tomorrow nite but "mostly clear" skies all week. El Paso might hit 70 Friday.

No snow yet! I'm still burying PVC for my pool backwash and laying some pavers!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Everything in the area is supposed to see a low of under 20 tomorrow nite but "mostly clear" skies all week. El Paso might hit 70 Friday.

No snow yet! I'm still burying PVC for my pool backwash and laying some pavers!

68 here by Friday. There's talk around the dorms about a huge blizzard that's going to impact the state sometime next week. If it should blizzard, it'll do it when I'm in Albuquerque.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
Another sub-20 nite and yet another "New Record Low - for today's date" flag - 17.4 @ 5:37A. That's about half of any previous Dec 1st low for my station and another New Low for this year. Also lower than 2 of 3 previous DEC AVG MIN LOWs for the month. Lowest DEC temp was 14.9 on Dec 4th 2009 (station).

http://www.lascruces-weather.com/wxtempdatathismonth_F7.php

Wind chill reported @ 6:05A as 9.7*F! My station record W/C is 9.0. So close...

BUT clear skies! Pre-dawn is absolutely beautiful right now with Spica, Saturn, a waning crescent moon and a monstrous Venus hanging over the Organ Mountains. Late tonite/early morning, should be spectacular, with the moon closer to Venus.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »

BUT clear skies! Pre-dawn is absolutely beautiful right now with Spica, Saturn, a waning crescent moon and a monstrous Venus hanging over the Organ Mountains. Late tonite/early morning, should be spectacular, with the moon closer to Venus.

The eastern dawn sky now reminds me of an image from 2 years ago. :-)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:47:20 PM by DanS »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »
Nice cap!

When I saw mine this morning, on my way to bed, I had to go outside to see what was going on. I thought it was Search & Rescue or Flight For Life chopper landing nearby (which they do at nite at the school down the street). Venus was that bright!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2010, 11:01:43 PM »
I sorely want it to snow. It looks like NWS Albuquerque took out Portales and Rio Rancho on the snow forecast for Monday night. It looks like we're high and dry, and too warm for comfort. Friday we hit 75 in Portales. Today we hit 52. I think La Nina this year is rearing her ugly head across the southern portions of the United States big time this winter. Christmas in Nebraska anyone?  #-o

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2010, 04:57:35 PM »
I was wanting some snow like you Chris H., but I got 4 inches yesterday, and am now ready for Spring....

Also, Scalphunter, I noticed that it was almost 2 AM when you posted your comment; are you nocturnal???

www.theweatherwatcher4.wordpress.com   (Got a lot of new topics on the forum)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:49 AM »
Don't give up yet Chris there an low that came from up here that is off the California coast and looks like it  just migth get organize and kick some weather your way. It got more circulation to it today then it has had.

NWS says we're high and dry. System that you're mentioning is skirting off to the north of us. Northern New Mexico has the best chances of snow today and tonight. There's only a 10-20% chance in that area to begin with. I leave Portales on Saturday. High temps will be in the lower 60s. Rio Rancho will see temps in the mid 50s.

This is not the New Mexico I grew up with…well maybe a little.

anything