Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 205413 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #750 on: September 11, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »
73 now with a nice 5-10MPH breeze out of the north running thru the house.  =D> \:D/

The kind of weather that would make Mom freeze and tell us to shut the front and back doors.  :roll:

It's chilly here though at least to me. 66*F with a slight breeze. Then again, the other night it hit 54*F after a thunderstorm.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #751 on: September 14, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »
Mid-late fall-like weather about to hit up here. I'm excited!  \:D/

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #752 on: September 14, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
what a change we've had over here in Sedona, AZ!  After a moderately disappointing monsoon season through August (just a bit above 3" of rain for the monsoon season), all of a sudden over 2 more inches showed up in the past week. 

also, set a new record for number of consecutive days with measurable rainfall (7!).  this is the desert???

high temp today was 76 F ......  that's more like the lows we were seeing a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #753 on: September 14, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
Wow! 7 days in a row? Impressive! I've had 5 rain days in a row (2.22" total) back in July of '08 but that month saw 8.92" total.

The stormy clouds just north blew in at about 5:15 with 24MPH max gust and the rain followed. The station collected .29" and saw a max rate of 4.47"/hr. Had some light rain last nite with 0.03" after midnite.

2.18" total YTD.

EDIT: About 10:30, another 0.26" dumped in a hard hurry and now (01:00) I'm looking at my first 50s temp with it hovering at 61. To quote a great philosopher of our time - "Summer's almost gone..."

Tomorrow's NWS forecast:

Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, gusty winds, and heavy rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. East wind 8 to 16 mph becoming south. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:48:34 AM by Cienega32 »

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #754 on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »
8 days in a row.  maybe I should call it 8*, since I'm not sure if I can call it rain or heavy dew (.01").  but hey, in this part of the country, water is water, so I'm going to count it.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #755 on: September 17, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
Never saw any hail in my part of the region but did collect some more rain - another 0.26" for 2.70" YTD. Strong lightning and some short power drops here & there around town while I was out and about.

Casa Manana - I agree with you - a bucket tip is a bucket tip in these parts!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #756 on: September 18, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »
It's been dry and comfortable up here since at least Friday...so I'm enjoying the fall weather up here...though the rain returns later this week (right around the first day of fall).

*sniifffffff*

The smell of the high desert around fall...it has its own unique smell when it dries out some...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #757 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »
Rain returns to the forecast early next week and sticks around for a couple days...hmm...  :-k

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #758 on: October 04, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
I finished* the monsoon season with 6.23".   Not bad, and a lot better than other parts of AZ and NM, which got missed this year.  My wife's wildflower garden has nice blooms of sunflower, aster, and sage....often it looks like a brown fried plant graveyard at this time of year.

On a meaningless geeky weather statistic note...  Although October is a pretty lean month for rain here (it's between the monsoon and the winter storms), it has rained here on October 4th for four years running, and there is actually a chance of seeing some precip later today for five years in a row.  I'll report in later , drumroll please.   For what that's worth.  ;-)

* for my purposes I collect monsoon statistics from 1 June through 30 September, then switch to collecting "winter" rainfall.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #759 on: October 04, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »
I think our Monsoon ended towards the end of September as well. Didn't get much out of it...according to our local NWS office, we got about 2.25" for the entire Monsoon season. The storm system we're getting is definitely early but also seasonal.

Bring on the winter!!!! :lol: \:D/

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #760 on: October 04, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
I know you're all holding your breath, so I'll end the suspense.   The answer is YES, we just got measurable precip for the fifth year in a row on October 4th. 

Now I'm off searchinfg for the next meaningless geeky weather statistic!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #761 on: October 06, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
.7" on Tuesday.

That's right seven-tenths of an inch!!  \:D/

This fall might be a good one (I love wet fall seasons)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #762 on: October 09, 2011, 04:18:53 AM »
From this last storm system that blew through, I recorded a total of 1.22" total. My weather station recorded a freeze last night as well: 31.2*F. So the swamp coolers were shut off this afternoon, furnaces are on.

Bring it on winter!  \:D/

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #763 on: October 15, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Low to mid 80s the first week until the 8th when I cam back from an east coast road trip - 67! It's been warming up every day since and hit 88 today with little or no wind and not a cloud in sight.

I predict that towards the end of the week and after I'll have lots and lots of rain. That's when the stucco guys will be here doing the house... :roll:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #764 on: October 18, 2011, 01:24:35 AM »
Well, I knew it would be something....

Message summary: ...strong cold will move across the region tonight...
A week of nearly record breaking warm weather will abruptly come to an end tonight. A strong cold front was moving across eastern new mexico and west texas this evening. The cold front will move into the eastern part of the area around 11 pm. Then through el paso a little after midnight and finally to the arizona state line by early tuesday morning. Temperatures for the last several days having been running over ten degrees above normal. Tuesday`s highs on the other hand will be a couple of degrees below normal. No rain is expected with cold frontal passage...but there could be some brief strong winds gusting to 35 mph with patchy areas of blowing dust later tonight...mainly west of area mountains.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #765 on: October 18, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
My Monsoon total for this year was a whopping 2.62" from 17 events of 0.01" or more.

:shock:

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #766 on: October 19, 2011, 02:10:16 AM »
Roof finally replaced yesterday. Looks pretty good!

Very windy yesterday, hit an overnight low of 37*F. Tonight's low is 35*F, might get colder than that. October seems just a hair warmer than usual this year, no?

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #767 on: October 19, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
We have been dry but the few rains that we have gotten over the last couple of months have been nice totals....1.13 inches in one last week, and another inch expected by tomorrow evening
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #768 on: October 20, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »

Very windy yesterday, hit an overnight low of 37*F. Tonight's low is 35*F, might get colder than that. October seems just a hair warmer than usual this year, no?

Congrats and good luck with the new hat on the house. That peace of mind is incredible.

Last year I had one day 90 or over (90.6 on the 2nd) and only one day of 85-89.9. This year none 90+ and 6 days between 85-89.9 (88.1 highest).

83 now with some 5-10MPH breezes gusting to 20ish. 15% Hum & 30 Dew - very pleasant.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #769 on: October 20, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
47F here, misting, wing gusts over 30mph lol i miss early fall weather #-o
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #770 on: October 20, 2011, 10:31:48 PM »
I'm just waiting for the first snowfall. :D

Congrats and good luck with the new hat on the house. That peace of mind is incredible.

Last year I had one day 90 or over (90.6 on the 2nd) and only one day of 85-89.9. This year none 90+ and 6 days between 85-89.9 (88.1 highest).

83 now with some 5-10MPH breezes gusting to 20ish. 15% Hum & 30 Dew - very pleasant.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #771 on: October 21, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »
Shhhhhh...

I'm just waiting for the first snowfall. :D

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #772 on: October 21, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »
our horses think winter is coming for sure.  they're starting to look like yaks.  I think it was that 37 deg low the other night.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #773 on: October 22, 2011, 01:19:02 AM »
Still haven't gone under 41 yet but long-term TV says 39 possible on the tail end.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #774 on: October 22, 2011, 09:09:08 AM »
39F here right now...escaped the frost for the day but a good chance of it tonight.
Joe Fitzwater