Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 205442 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #725 on: August 17, 2011, 01:29:37 AM »
So many of them floating around it's just a Smack & Step routine. The ones that are trying to scratch their way into the ground have been getting a steady diet of various "foods" alternating with Sneaker Bottoms. They're out in force this week!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #726 on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »
*shudders*

Flying insects deserve to stick to something or inhale something. Well...if they're affecting something (bees/wasps are okay, as long as they're not ON me).

Had some brief rain moments last night, and really freaky cloud formations. Might see less rain through til the weekend, but then again I need to check the latest forecast.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #727 on: August 19, 2011, 03:40:31 AM »
Flying insects are one thing but when they're wood eating Carpenter Ants... Get 'em fast and get 'em early!

It's like an alien invasion. The dozens and dozens of swarmers pick their spot, start digging and drop their future society in their own hole. Next thing you know, there's a subterranean network branching out with dozens and dozens of workers scurrying about. I've learned that where there's one very active hole, there will be at least one more associated one within 10 or 15 feet. I hit the main one with that Amdros (sp) bait and shut down the others with Spectracide granules and also make an enclosing loop around it all with it.

A bunch of booms and flashes dropped a quarter inch of rain so far and pushes me over an inch for the month (1.75"-year). A nice steady, easy rain falling right now and a nice drop to 67 degrees. The pitter-patter sounds nice on the skylite.  :-)

EDIT: 0.36" total. 1.12"-AUG | 1.82"-YTD
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:20:15 AM by Cienega32 »

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #728 on: August 23, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
Broke 100 today - first time since the 9th. I've been running upper 90s and, other than some muggy periods with the rain threats and some winds, it's been quite pleasant. The last three days have been real tame.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #729 on: August 23, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »
We've had some interesting nights with lightning, but no rain. It's been generally like a typical late August up here...white-lying thunderstorms  #-o and lightning, and daytime highs in the lower to mid 90s. C'mon September!

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #730 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »
The WU provided "Normal Temp" shows 10 below what I've been getting. That's pretty much been the theme all summer. My recorded data shows the highest for today at 92 in 2007 with the other 'todays' being low to mid 80s.

99.9 right now and rising...

EDIT: 101.7 for the high but right now - 9:20p - it's 91! I feel like I'm back in Vegas!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:19:33 PM by Cienega32 »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #731 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:39 PM »
Caught about four thunderstorms last night...the first two had some punch to them. Rain amounted to 3/10ths of an inch. Today looks promising, but I'm not holding my breath. It's 92*F up here...yesterday we hit 94*F...

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #732 on: August 26, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »
Still no rain since the 19th but some west-bound boomies rolling around south of me in an otherwise decent looking sky. Strong T-Storm Alert just issued and a ten degree drop over the last 90 minutes.

Today would mark my 1,400 day of 'No Rain' in my station's 1,607 day history.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #733 on: August 26, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
We got rain two nights ago, been high and dry as of late. I'm having fun watching Irene crawl up the eastern seaboard.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #734 on: August 29, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
Received .53" of rain last night from two separate storms (930-10 and 330-4)...went into the master bedroom this morning to find a water stain by the closet...then had to go in the garage for something and noticed two large water stains on one side (our garage was converted into a large family room before we bought the house) and a small puddle stain in the middle.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #735 on: August 29, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
So how much rain does that make for the year? To average?

Hope ur water problem isnt too serious

Glad to be back,

--Farmtalk--
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #736 on: August 29, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »
That certainly sucks, Chris! You finally get a little decent rain and it gives you problems.

The FD finally started issuing burn permits last week and I hit a few dense areas that I've been spraying and spraying. Things are relentless in this type of weather the last month or two. With so little rain, the roots really dig in for the long haul.

Dew P has been low 40s & HUM low 20s or less so these upper 90s don't feel too bad at all.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #737 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
Dad and I inspected the attic...there's no water stain trails in the insulation, the wood or anything above the garage...we do suspect the nails though...of all things...the master bedroom though...the electrical tubing for the swamp cooler where it goes through the roof now has a hole around the seal, so water dripped down that, down the joist and dripped down into the ceiling...right where the ceiling meets the closet wall above the closet door.  ](*,)

I'm hoping the rain doesn't return tonight. The roofer will be here tomorrow to look at the roof...we don't need more water damage.

Then again, this is an AmRep house...there's a lot of things that go wrong with these houses...from plumbing to electrical to...

------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like this!!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

^

I wonder if 1974-1976 were really bad drought years for the south. That and 1998-2000.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:01:45 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #738 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:57 AM »
Another 101 day today with a storm cloud or two lingering in the far distance.

The latest I ever had 100+ in August was the 21st (2007). The last week of August usually falls and sticks to low-mid 90s. Last September 2nd was my hottest SEP day - 96. That should easily fall this year.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #739 on: August 31, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
Another 101 day today with a storm cloud or two lingering in the far distance.

The latest I ever had 100+ in August was the 21st (2007). The last week of August usually falls and sticks to low-mid 90s. Last September 2nd was my hottest SEP day - 96. That should easily fall this year.

At least it cools down quicker where you live now Pat. 

Just did a look through my records and my latest 100+ day was October 3rd 2000 (101.2°F) :!:

Looking forward to November though, I haven't logged a single 90 degree plus day since I started keeping records in 1999.  \:D/
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #740 on: August 31, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »
Ah yes! The nite time cool downs are a bit nicer tho' this year gave me my highest "Nite time avg" as reported by WD - 6PM to 6AM. 92.7 degrees on JUN 28. Doesn't make the memory of the coldest any easier: -2.2 FEB 3.

With the mid-40s Dew and high teens HUM, the evenings & nites are definitely nicer and the general lack of rain has kept the skeeters at bay all summer.

Another 101 today with some clouds that keep dropping it to 99 or so.

I had moved to Las Vegas in mid-Sept and, after driving from Long Island and the apparent Fall weather hitting most areas along the way, I thought it was the coolest thing to have 100+ and beautiful nites during football season. So began my love of living in the desert!

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #741 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:56 AM »
11PM and my AUG average this year is 84.1 .

2011 - 84.1
2010 - 80.3
2009 - 80.3
2008 - 76.5 - only AUG with NO 100+ days
2007 - 80.4
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:11:38 PM by Cienega32 »

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #742 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »
new records for my site in Sedona AZ. 

11 days in a row with high temp over 100 deg. 

latest date with high temp over 100 deg (1 Sept 11).

Both of these look like I'll keep counting up for the next couple of days at least.  what a switch in weather pattern.  the early monsson season was looking good, but then we just slipped off of the western edge of the pattern it seems  (I was hoping for maybe 6 inches for the season, now only a smidge above 3", darn)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #743 on: September 03, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
Some fun stuff over the last few days...aside from the insurance company giving us hell about our roof..(and to find out that the the house was built in 1986, and it's the original roof..)

Saw some much needed rain last night. And some rather beautiful lightning strikes.

Been hitting the mid 90s all week to find there will be a cold front diving across the eastern plains tonight...which means 40 mph winds for the Albuquerque area tonight. And upper 70s for highs tomorrow, with a lot of rain. I love the fall.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #744 on: September 03, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
1986 & original roof and you're only getting what you described in the other post? That's not too bad, really, if you think about it. Good luck with it all and I hope you get a good roofer that ends your woes! Leaky roofs suck.

Pushing upper 90s the first three days of September so far. 98.8 today with clouds - some grey types- keeping it variable. 50 Dew, 20% HUM and ~10MPH. Not too bad so far...

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #745 on: September 05, 2011, 07:06:49 AM »
Well, this cold front has hit down here and it's brought my temps down to "Normal". Only hit 88.8 yesterday and it's been a great nite for opening every window in the house. The early morning hours haven't provided any wind but late Sunday evening had some nice breezes.

Some nice, thick clouds rolled in yesterday afternoon at sunset and the smell of rain was in the air. Just the smell of it.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #746 on: September 08, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
The insurance company has so far, denied our claim. Dad and I put roof sealer on the potential leak areas...our roof looks like crap...and the plywood underneath seems rather weak...all of this right before Dad retires. WHYYYYY?!!!!

It hasn't rained much in over a week, me thinks this winter is going to suck.

The days have been nice though...lower to mid 80s, upper 70s for much of the week. Not running the swamp cooler = win.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #747 on: September 09, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
That's terrible and the timing certainly sucks. Hopefully, the sheathing is just thinner than you expected and seems weaker. I know on my house it was. I did a full tear-off on mine a few years back and that was a concern but the sheathing was all clean and intact. Good luck with it all and try to keep your Dad's (and yours) spirits up.

Slow building overcast day and some small talk of possible precip tonite. Had some gusts in the low 30s the other nite. Actually, the day after I cleaned the pool  ](*,) . Upper 60s & upper 80s - nice temps...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #748 on: September 10, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »
Today's high never climbed past 70...it's been in the sixties all day long...very comfortable weather up here...though tonight gets into the 50s.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #749 on: September 10, 2011, 10:49:34 PM »
Another 64/88 type of day. 73 now with a nice 5-10MPH breeze out of the north running thru the house.  =D> \:D/