Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 204922 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #600 on: July 01, 2011, 12:48:22 AM »
Only 102...LOL

We smelled rain for awhile around sunset...accompanied by thunder. Some of my friends reported rain...one of them was driving his convertible.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #601 on: July 01, 2011, 01:00:56 AM »
     Here is a link to some neat pics of the Los Alamos fires in New Mexico from the ISS, and satellites.
           http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/171052/20110628/nasa-space-images-new-mexico-fire-las-conchas.htm
     Mark
Wow. That's pretty amazing. Pyroclastic clouds...
:shock:
    That stuff does not look very healthy that is for sure.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #602 on: July 01, 2011, 04:42:21 AM »
Some of my friends reported rain...one of them was driving his convertible.

If you drive fast enough, it goes right over you and you don't get wet.

I think we'll end up sucking some of the moisture/humidity from down Mexico way and with the high heat, bring some t-storms.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #603 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
You can feel the moisture now and some big old clouds are building. One of them to my NNE is really dumping and looks like a mushroom cloud. Forecast has caught up and has 10% for the rest of the day.

Nothing but hot & sticky right now.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #604 on: July 01, 2011, 05:30:20 PM »
Looks like some kind of baby elephant head parade...

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #605 on: July 01, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
You can feel the moisture now and some big old clouds are building. One of them to my NNE is really dumping and looks like a mushroom cloud. Forecast has caught up and has 10% for the rest of the day.
Nothing but hot & sticky right now.
Pat,
    I never imagined that I would think of 20% humidity as being sticky!  :lol: But I am sure that compared to what you had earlier in the week it is really easy to feel the difference.
   Mark

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #606 on: July 01, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »
Earlier we discussed water sources for firefighting helicopters, and shared some pictures from earlier fires elsewhere.  LANL has posted quite a few photos from the current Las Conchas fire to flikr, including this photo of a Skycrane picking up water from a temporary tank.

Air tanker traffic yesterday was quiet until late afternoon, when there was a sudden flurry.  Based on the incident update, I believe these may have been used a newly ignited fire very near the big one, which was extinguished by the combination of rapid initial aerial attack and ground teams.

There has been much more air tanker traffic today than most recent days.  I don't know just what they are hitting, but the MODIS maps continue to show some strong burning very close to Los Alamos on the western edge.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #607 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
It was very hazy this morning....the smell of smoke was hanging around. Then by mid day, it started to clear...by this afternoon, you could see pretty far off. I thought the northerly winds out of the mountains didn't come around until October?

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #608 on: July 01, 2011, 10:15:13 PM »
Summer's Almost Gone...

A frigid 98.6 for a high and darkening clouds looking like they want to rain.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #609 on: July 02, 2011, 02:45:20 AM »
Tonite's weather show had rain totals everywhere in El Paso and around town in Las Cruces. Here on the edge of the world? Zero.

This is for El Paso - 50 miles away. My YTD is 0.08" - half of their YTD.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:48:02 AM by Cienega32 »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #610 on: July 03, 2011, 04:25:49 AM »
Lots & lots of wild lightning and a strong smell of rain but not a drop fell on the Fortress of Solitude...

I hope they caught some in Ruidiso & Alamagordo way. They can sure use it too but they've been catching fire lately.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #611 on: July 03, 2011, 05:07:53 AM »
Yesterday was pretty much icky.

Humid, with a thick haze sitting over Albuquerque (visibility was excellent though). Then storms started to form over the Sandia's and nearby Jemez and move inward...clearing out some of the haze/pushing the haze to the ground. Hit a high of 94 yesterday at around 3 PM. Caught the bits of a storm around 8:30 PM...just a few drops of rain...but nothing to kill the drought. C'mon Monsoon, RAIN ALREADY.  ](*,)

Rain dance.  \:D/

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #612 on: July 03, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Yeah... I think my 5% humidity days are history now as Monsoon starts kicking in. That Mexican storm was feeding it a bit as well.

High HUM of 55% overnite and down to 30% so far. Dew in the 50s.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #613 on: July 03, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
Stormy skies 'round here. Was at Kirtland AFB when lightning struck about 1/2 mile away...

Back home now, skies are stormy looking, but I don't think it'll rain.

88*F right now...humidity is 23% with dp's in the 50s. Might get a few drops after all
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:27:31 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #614 on: July 05, 2011, 12:52:31 AM »
Pics baby.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #615 on: July 05, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »
  Good pictures Chris! =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ =D> 
    Mark

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #616 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
the monsoon has definitely kicked in here in Sedona, AZ.  dewpoints jumped from the 30's up to above 60 deg, and we had measureable rain both on the 3rd and 4th....and it looks like it is set up pretty well for the next few days.  Around here I generally find that a dew point of about 52 deg is a "tipping point" for generating thunderstorms with enough umph so that the rain reaches the ground.

another week of this and we can kiss the fire season goodbuy hopefully.

as an aside, I was pretty happy with my rain barrels, which filled up after about 0.15" of rain!   

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #617 on: July 05, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
Hmmm...lucky. Our DP values up here in the Duke City are sitting in the lower 40s. With a high of 97*F today...we're in for some dry storms. With a little luck later this week, we might actually see some rain...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #618 on: July 05, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
Thanks PNM for your timely response and second-guessing yourself on the estimated time of power restoration.  #-o

2:30PM, in the middle of watching Independence Day, pop! Power goes out. Flashed on at 4:30, then browned out then died again.

I go online (thanks to a decent web browser on my phone) and check the news...PNM says 5:30. 5:30 rolls around. No power. They say 7:30. Oh but wait! 5:32PM - sunnuva...we got power!!!  \:D/ *note obvious sarcasm*

Faulty underground cable was to blame...but is that it? I mean surely something could've caused it to be faulty!

*Sigh*

Pretty much decided to sleep all afternoon (or tried to) with a battery operated fan aimed at me...next time this happens, I'm going to the mall.  ](*,)

I remember one year their systems locked them out and their systems killed power to the entire Albuquerque area...so much fun...it was winter, it was February...and snowing outside.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:25:38 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #619 on: July 06, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »
Wouldn't you know it! I leave town and all the excitement happens. A torrential downpour later in the day that I left! I see my station registered a whopping 0.01" of rain on the 3rd!

I got my share of rain during the last 75 miles or so to Tampa. Those typical FLA bursts where you can't see a thing and the wipers can't keep up. Almost forgot what it was.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #620 on: July 06, 2011, 09:03:11 PM »
Thanks PNM for your timely response and second-guessing yourself on the estimated time of power restoration.  #-o
2:30PM, in the middle of watching Independence Day, pop! Power goes out. Flashed on at 4:30, then browned out then died again.
I go online (thanks to a decent web browser on my phone) and check the news...PNM says 5:30. 5:30 rolls around. No power. They say 7:30. Oh but wait! 5:32PM - sunnuva...we got power!!!  \:D/ *note obvious sarcasm*
Faulty underground cable was to blame...but is that it? I mean surely something could've caused it to be faulty!
*Sigh*
Pretty much decided to sleep all afternoon (or tried to) with a battery operated fan aimed at me...next time this happens, I'm going to the mall.  ](*,)
I remember one year their systems locked them out and their systems killed power to the entire Albuquerque area...so much fun...it was winter, it was February...and snowing outside.
    I know exactly how you feel Chris!   In 2003 on Aug 14 we were in the big blackout that strted when a tree branch in Cleveland shorted out a line and caused most of the NE to go black!  Oh and it was hot that day.  People across the street had to go to a motel somewhere cause of heart problems and they could not stand it without A/C in the house.  We were pretty lucky here.  The power was back within 24 hours.  Many other places like Detroit were out for a lot longer time.  A recent program on TV called "The Crumbling Of America" says that is going to be happening much more often with the grid being in such bad shape.  Higher loads without upgrading the grid=oooops!
   Mark
Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #621 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »
They've been saying that about the grid for a long time. It's old. It's antiquated. It's no longer efficient. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Still, it seems nobody wants to invest any dough into "fixing" it.

El Paso Electric likes to nickle and dime their way thru it all with redundancy factors and "improvements" here & there that do nothing but add up to higher rates to "provide a more reliable service" which it never seems to do.

Our entire infrastructure is in a shambles but it will never change as long as it's still usable to some degree.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #622 on: July 08, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »
Hmm...weather forecasts show a huge spike in Monsoon moisture this weekend and early next week. So psyched!  :grin:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:31:07 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #623 on: July 08, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
Psyched? I've seen more rain in the last two days than I've seen all of last year! Sunny Florida my a$$!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #624 on: July 08, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
I haven't seen any rain since March! So yes, I'm psyched!!!  :-P

anything