Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 205052 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #550 on: June 25, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
Yesterday's #3 place is now #4 with today's 105.1 taking that spot.

Last year still holds #1 & #2. In fact, of my top ten temps since 04-03-07, 7 are from last year(4) and this year(3).

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2011, 12:05:48 AM »
That must wreak havoc with wood products such as furniture, doors, hardwood floors, etc.,  no ?
Yes, it does. And even more so with those pieces you assemble that use the pressed wood. The dry winter to the swamp cooler summer changes in humidity has taken a toll on a few pieces that I never had a problem with. Slight warping here & there. Had chilled air in Vegas and humidity was lower. Now I have a few drawers that rub and paper that constantly curls up on the edges.  :lol:
   I have to keep my acoustic guitar in it's case during winter with a guitar-humidifier that hangs in the sound hole.  The wood would be going nuts there if the owner didn't take some precautions...at least I would think.  Do you know anyone with a good guitar and do they take any special precautions because of the low humidity?
    Mark

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #552 on: June 26, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
I've had my weather station for just about a year. I have to say, in all my records, for today, we actually smashed it, with a high of 101*F.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
That must wreak havoc with wood products such as furniture, doors, hardwood floors, etc.,  no ?
Yes, it does. And even more so with those pieces you assemble that use the pressed wood. The dry winter to the swamp cooler summer changes in humidity has taken a toll on a few pieces that I never had a problem with. Slight warping here & there. Had chilled air in Vegas and humidity was lower. Now I have a few drawers that rub and paper that constantly curls up on the edges.  :lol:
   I have to keep my acoustic guitar in it's case during winter with a guitar-humidifier that hangs in the sound hole.  The wood would be going nuts there if the owner didn't take some precautions...at least I would think.  Do you know anyone with a good guitar and do they take any special precautions because of the low humidity?
    Mark

Opposite, I had an Ovation acoustic I bought while in Hong Kong. Loved that guitar and it was totaled overnight from excess moisture (when Ivan's tornado blew our roof off).

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #554 on: June 26, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
    Mark

Opposite, I had an Ovation acoustic I bought while in Hong Kong. Loved that guitar and it was totaled overnight from excess moisture (when Ivan's tornado blew our roof off).

Poor guitar.  :-(

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #555 on: June 26, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
Oh boy. The Jemez mountains south of Los Alamos are on fire now. Just eleven years ago the Cerro Grande fire was happening. Now this...again. Some interesting pyroclastic clouds though. Called the "Los Conchas" fire. Yesterday it was all north of Santa Fe. Today it spread SW rapidly. The WSW winds didn't help (however, I can't figure out how it moved in the direction of the wind).

(No I was not driving)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:08:48 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #556 on: June 26, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »
   Good grief!   Looking at the visible satellite the fire you mention is clearly visible with a really prominent smoke plume. The plume was blowing from the west.  One of my radars is showing precip in the Sante Fe region but I cannot imagine that it is reaching the ground.
    Mark

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #557 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
Im getting decibel readings of 5-15 DBZ....not gonna help much
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »
   Good grief!   Looking at the visible satellite the fire you mention is clearly visible with a really prominent smoke plume. The plume was blowing from the west.  One of my radars is showing precip in the Sante Fe region but I cannot imagine that it is reaching the ground.
    Mark

Actually, that's not even precip. That's the smoke on the radar.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2011, 12:14:49 AM »
Turns out there are now two fires burning near Los Alamos, Santa Fe...

Los Conchas fire has prompted mandatory evacuations for a few areas in the Jemez mountains.

The Pacheco fire (north of Santa Fe) has yet to prompt any evacuations. Los Alamos Nat'l Labs is closed tomorrow...Los Alamos residents are being asked to evacuate on a voluntary basis.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FIRE WARNING
NEW MEXICO EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY ALBUQUERQUE NEW MEXICO
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBUQUERQUE NM
820 PM MDT SUN JUN 26 2011

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE NEW
MEXICO EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY IN LOS ALAMOS NEW MEXICO.

A LARGE WILDFIRE IS BURNING SOUTHWEST OF LOS ALAMOS NEAR FRIJOLES
CANYON WITHIN THE JEMEZ MOUNTAINS. MANDATORY EVACUATIONS ARE NOW IN
EFFECT FOR BANDELIER NATIONAL MONUMENT AND THE VALLES CALDERA
NATIONAL PRESERVE. MANDATORY EVACUATIONS WERE PREVIOUSLY ORDERED
FOR THE COMMUNITIES OF COCHITI MESA AND LAS CONCHAS AS WELL AS
CAMPGROUNDS NEAR AND INCLUDING THE JEMEZ FALLS CAMPGROUND. NEW
MEXICO HIGHWAY 4 IS CLOSED BETWEEN JEMEZ FALLS AND NEW MEXICO
HIGHWAY 501. PERSONS EVACUATED ARE ASKED TO GO TO THE LA CUEVA
FIRE STATION.

VOLUNTARY EVACUATIONS ARE ALSO UNDERWAY DUE TO SMOKE IMPACTS IN
LOS ALAMOS AND WHITE ROCK. PERSONS LEAVING FROM THESE AREAS SHOULD
PROCEED SOUTHBOUND ON DIAMOND DRIVE EITHER TO TRINITY DRIVE OR
EAST JEMEZ ROAD. VISIBILITY DUE TO SMOKE IN THESE AREAS MAY BE
UNDER ONE MILE.

Bandelier and Valles Caldera are very beautiful. A shame that they're now ablaze.  :evil:

Can you imagine this being on fire? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valles_Caldera

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandelier

I can't. But it's happening. And I'm pretty sure someone started it, seeing as we have had no rain (no thunderstorm development) in over a month in that area.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:22:13 AM by Chris H. »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #560 on: June 27, 2011, 02:48:11 AM »
That's a shame to lose these areas to stupidity, isn't it? Assuming their human caused, of course. I get the feeling that we're going to lose a lot more of those scenic views before the year is done.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #561 on: June 27, 2011, 02:59:02 AM »
Yesterday's #3 place is now #4 with today's 105.1 taking that spot.

Last year still holds #1 & #2. In fact, of my top ten temps since 04-03-07, 7 are from last year(4) and this year(3).

Make that 8 of 10 with 4 from this year. Actually, 4 from this week. 23 thru 26. Sunday's 105.4 took the #2 spot. Same forecast for tomorrow.

One good thing is that only one - 6-23-11 - is in the top ten highest lows (#5 - 75.9) so at least it's cooling down to the low 70s at night.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #562 on: June 27, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
    Mark
   At the time I wondered if it could be smoke and was comparing postitions and such to radar.  I didn't think it was but wow that is neat.  Add another thing seen on my radar list.
   Mark

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #563 on: June 27, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »
    Mark
   At the time I wondered if it could be smoke and was comparing postitions and such to radar.  I didn't think it was but wow that is neat.  Add another thing seen on my radar list.
   Mark

I have screenshots of the Wallow fire's smoke plume infiltrating Albuquerque and west-central New Mexico. Just when the Wallow is nearly put out, another one springs up.  #-o

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #564 on: June 27, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »
Today has the makings of a new #1 station temp: 2:20 and 106 degrees. It should be close.

Webcam feed from Parajito Mountain: http://www.skipajarito.com/webcamtop.php

Right across the street from me is 640 acres of nice, dry desert brush. I'm waiting for that to go up courtesy of one of the many mindless fools that seem to have flocked to this part of town lately. Now that the winds have shifted to the north, it'll probably go on the 4th... when I'm not in town...  :shock:

On a side note: the original and only known picture of Billy The Kid, our most infamous resident, sold for $2.3 million the other day.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
Las Conchas fire evac mandatory for Los Alamos
« Reply #565 on: June 27, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
The evacuation for the town of Los Alamos has been upgraded from voluntary to mandatory--by neighborhood, starting with those closest to the approaching fire.

I'm actually surprised at the relatively low rate at which heavy air tankers have been flying past my house in Sandia Heights.  Yesterday at the Albuquerque airport my wife and I between us saw three P2-V Neptunes and at least four MAFFS-equipped Air Guard C-130J's.  That is enough to support an operational tempo much higher than I'm seeing today.  Possibly they are not seen as fully useful in current conditions up there.  Or possibly somehow most are using a flight path outside my earshot.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #566 on: June 27, 2011, 05:28:16 PM »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #567 on: June 27, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
    Watching the visible satellite looks like there might be some storms that blew up in central New Mexico.  A lot of clouds there today so hard to see the plumes but at the beginning of the 12 hour loop you can really see how extensive the smoke is.  It is crazy stuff.  This is probably a dumb question (I frequently ask them) where do they get enough water and such to fight these fires there?  I know they use a lot of retardent chems and clearing of brush and backfires, but they need water too.
   Mark     

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #568 on: June 27, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
    Watching the visible satellite looks like there might be some storms that blew up in central New Mexico.  A lot of clouds there today so hard to see the plumes but at the beginning of the 12 hour loop you can really see how extensive the smoke is.  It is crazy stuff.
A good satellite resource for wildfires is MODIS.  There are two satellites, Terra, and Aqua. This web site does a nice job of making the MODIS data available.  The False color option is helpful in showing current actual hot spots, and also distinctly shows the burned area in most cases (sometimes for many, many months after the fire is gone).  Today the Terra pass got a pretty good look at the Las Conchas fire, but when Aqua came over a little later there was enough cloud cover to make it mostly a waste of time--though you could still see the smoke plume heading multiple states to the east.
This is probably a dumb question (I frequently ask them) where do they get enough water and such to fight these fires there?  I know they use a lot of retardent chems and clearing of brush and backfires, but they need water too.
   Mark     
Depends on the resource.  The heavy air tankers are operating out of Kirtland Air Force Base, which shares runways with the Albuquerque civil airport.  Their slurry is prepared on site, I think, and the water component probably comes right out of municipal supply.  They can only carry about 3000 gallons per flight, and don't do all that many flights, so this is not a major  consumption.

The helicopters, I think, generally dip their buckets to fill them in the nearest suitable water, which will usually be a lake or stream.  Not returning to base can give them a drastically faster cycle rate than heavy air or even SEAT (Single Engine Air Tanker--think of a crop duster dropping retardant).

Ground crews do use trucks with some water tankage, but, I suspect to allow mobility on generally bad wildland roads, they are quite small in tankage compared to the usual city trucks.  I doubt they refill them often.  Ground fighting is more about creating breaks in the continuity of fuel, either by digging (a bulldozer is a major tool, though for local control a firefighter swinging a Pulaski is a definite factor), or controlled burning. 

Anyway, "fighting" these fires these days is mostly about structure protection--trying to defend valued assets, not trying to stop the fire as a whole.  When they stop, they mostly have burned to the limit of continuous fuel, or the weather has turned unfavorable.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #569 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:27 PM »
Another factor to consider in our area is the controlled burn schedule. By me, they do them often so when a fire pops up in a certain area, they might let it go for a while (while attempting containment) if it was in the plans.

Today's high was 108.1 All-time station high is 108.2. So close...

Clouds are building quickly to the east and west so it cooled down to 104

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
    Watching the visible satellite looks like there might be some storms that blew up in central New Mexico.  A lot of clouds there today so hard to see the plumes but at the beginning of the 12 hour loop you can really see how extensive the smoke is.  It is crazy stuff.
A good satellite resource for wildfires is MODIS.  There are two satellites, Terra, and Aqua. This web site does a nice job of making the MODIS data available.  The False color option is helpful in showing current actual hot spots, and also distinctly shows the burned area in most cases (sometimes for many, many months after the fire is gone).  Today the Terra pass got a pretty good look at the Las Conchas fire, but when Aqua came over a little later there was enough cloud cover to make it mostly a waste of time--though you could still see the smoke plume heading multiple states to the east.
This is probably a dumb question (I frequently ask them) where do they get enough water and such to fight these fires there?  I know they use a lot of retardent chems and clearing of brush and backfires, but they need water too.
   Mark     
Depends on the resource.  The heavy air tankers are operating out of Kirtland Air Force Base, which shares runways with the Albuquerque civil airport.  Their slurry is prepared on site, I think, and the water component probably comes right out of municipal supply.  They can only carry about 3000 gallons per flight, and don't do all that many flights, so this is not a major  consumption.
The helicopters, I think, generally dip their buckets to fill them in the nearest suitable water, which will usually be a lake or stream.  Not returning to base can give them a drastically faster cycle rate than heavy air or even SEAT (Single Engine Air Tanker--think of a crop duster dropping retardant).
Ground crews do use trucks with some water tankage, but, I suspect to allow mobility on generally bad wildland roads, they are quite small in tankage compared to the usual city trucks.  I doubt they refill them often.  Ground fighting is more about creating breaks in the continuity of fuel, either by digging (a bulldozer is a major tool, though for local control a firefighter swinging a Pulaski is a definite factor), or controlled burning. 
Anyway, "fighting" these fires these days is mostly about structure protection--trying to defend valued assets, not trying to stop the fire as a whole.  When they stop, they mostly have burned to the limit of continuous fuel, or the weather has turned unfavorable.
    Thanks for the MODIS site.  I have had the MODIS Great Lakes website for the last few years mostly to watch lake ice growth and melting but I also love some of the cloud images.  There are times when it is like art work.  I have seen a couple I would love to have enlarged and framed but it would undoubtedly cost a fortune.  Frames are so expensive.  I like to buy movie posters.  The poster can cost $29.99.  Framed=$199.99.
It would be a great business to get into. 
   Thanks again,
      Mark

Offline Albuquerque Weather

• Senior Contributor
    • Albuquerque Amateur Weather
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
June 27 2011 - The township of Los Alamos has been evacuated.

Medical center - Closed

Ron

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »
Los Alamos fully evacuated to Espanola and Pojaque. (Did I spell that right?)

Cerro Grande all over again.

I'm pretty sure they pull water out of Cochiti Lake...I think the Rio Grande in that area is pretty shallow (I think).

Really beautiful scenery up there when you take 285/84 NW out of Santa Fe and head up into Espanola and onto the 68 to Taos. I hope they stop it before it moves further NE.

Hit a high of 97*F today...clouds started to build up...smells like rain now...and the humidity has kicked up some.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:58:15 PM by Chris H. »

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure they pull water out of Cochiti Lake...I think the Rio Grande in that area is pretty shallow (I think).
That would do, but if they could find anything closer, that would do better.  Depending on the size of helicopter/bucket, the water need not be very deep.  They even set up remarkably small portable tanks just so the helicopters don't have to journey so far to get the next load.  See a post on helibucket wielding.  I have no personal knowledge on wildland firefighting, though there is some in the extended family.  My wife's kid sister, Dartmouth blue-eyed blond 5'2" Phi Beta Kappa double major in religion and English literature had a summer job on a fire lookout tower, fell in love, and spent the next twenty years with summer wildland firefighting as her real job, and winter gigs as fill-ins to keep the pantry stocked.  Then, knowing that as she passed the big 40 that passing the mandatory annual fitness test (a step-stress recovery test in the lower 48, but a time distance run on the Alaska service) was soon going to be mission impossible, she went to law school, and made it through.  Remembering the way we on-time graduate students ate up the come back later types at MIT, I was actually even more impressed at that than the firefighting.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #574 on: June 28, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »
     One thing that led to my asking about the water is that my impression has been that water, not just humidity, but water, is a fairly endangered item in the southwest US.  There have been many stories in the paper about states wanting to divert water from the Great Lakes to various and sundry places.  I think my impression, at least from the responses, is exagerated to some extent and that water is not quite so rare.
     Mark