Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 204237 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #475 on: June 14, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »
Has the containment reached 20% yet???
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #476 on: June 14, 2011, 11:27:03 PM »
Has the containment reached 20% yet???
   On TWC and hour or so ago they said 18%. 
      Mark

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #477 on: June 14, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
At the rate their going, its gonna take two weeks to get it contained!!! Can you imagine how much water their using to stop it?
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #478 on: June 15, 2011, 03:35:51 AM »
InciWeb.org calls it 20% contained now and that burnouts are being drawn by Luna Lake.

We had another blood red sunset with a very wide cloud of smoke blowing this way today. Also the Loop Fire at Carlsbad is up to 25,000 acres and 25% contained.

The Track Fire up at Raton is only about 5% contained.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #479 on: June 15, 2011, 03:39:38 AM »
At the rate their going, its gonna take two weeks to get it contained!!! Can you imagine how much water their using to stop it?

Still no projection as to when control will be had. Terrain Difficulty = high. Growth Potential = High.

Total Personnel: 4,734 Includes 24 hotshot crews; 77 hand crews

Resources: 20 Helicopters, 5 Air Tankers available; 333 Engines; 73 Water Tenders; 20 Dozers

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #480 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »
Thats insane! If they dont try to conserve, that area could run into a water shortage.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
    I think that already the Western US is facing a huge water problem.  There have been many attempts by politicians to divert water from the Great Lakes.  So far it has been rejected but who knows.  It will start a real problem.
     Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #482 on: June 15, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
China started that massive project to divert water from the Yangtze River to northern, dry areas. I think it was projected to take 35 or 40 years. I also think they're having a drought problem at the project's source now as well.

I've always said it - we need a giant system to divert some of the flood waters from the east or to the east, which ever would apply at the time. Obviously money would be a factor now but I also think that the voting public can't think long-term investment any more. Imagine a 30+ year project in this country now? Never would happen.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #483 on: June 15, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. - Two Air Force cargo planes equipped to fight wildfires have been dispatched to New Mexico, where crews are trying to get control of at least three fires.

The C-130 aircraft carry a system of pressurized tanks that can dump 3,000 gallons of water or fire retardant in less than 5 seconds. They were sent from Channel Islands Air National Guard Station, Calif., to Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., on Wednesday.

The planes are from the California Air National Guard. Personnel from Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., will oversee the planes' operations from the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. The fire center requested the planes from the Air Force.

The Air Force didn't say which fires the planes would battle. Wildfires are also burning in Arizona and Colorado.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #484 on: June 15, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »
I've always said it - we need a giant system to divert some of the flood waters from the east or to the east, which ever would apply at the time. Obviously money would be a factor now but I also think that the voting public can't think long-term investment any more. Imagine a 30+ year project in this country now? Never would happen.

And the medians or shoulders of the Interstate Highway system would be a perfect place to put the pipes.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #485 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »
And the medians or shoulders of the Interstate Highway system would be a perfect place to put the pipes.
    I like that! \:D/  They can do it while they are fixing the rest of the infrastructure of this country.  What's another trillion or two the way they print money in DC! ;) :lol:
    Mark

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #486 on: June 15, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »

There are pipelines that run from Texas to New Jersey for oil.  Seems like if there was a profit in it, someone would build a pipeline to pump water.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #487 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »

Why not? If they can run trains down the middle of them in L.A., why not? BUT, like Slow Modem said - nobody would generate any profit. It would just be one of those pesky "for good of the people" things.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #488 on: June 15, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
Some good progress on the Wallow Fire in AZ - InciWeb reports 29% containment.

The smoke is steadily showing up out here:

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #489 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
That's good news. :grin:
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #490 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
   I think some of the plumes of smoke are visible on the satellite image.  I think the one in the SE corner is the Horseshoe 2 fire.  Two others I am not sure of yet one of which is half way up the Arizona and New Mexico border. They are much easier to see looped.
  Mark
ADDED: I think the one half way up the Arizona and New Mexico border is the Wallow fire.
   I found a good website to follow these on:  :oops: I see Cienega32 is already on Inciweb.  It is awesome.
    I think either the Monument or Murphy Complex fire are visible on the Arizona border with Mexico.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:14:48 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #491 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:58 AM »
yessir that is the Wallow fire LOL.  :lol:

The smoke returns tomorrow...thanks to winds...I think. There's a few other smaller fires burning here in New Mexico...

The puffier imagery you see are actually cumulonimbus clouds...we had no promise of rain today, but I did see storms developing over the high ranges.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #492 on: June 16, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »
Yeah that Shoe2 blaze is hazing my sky pretty good. I was getting a few good sunsets when that Miller Fire in the Gila was hot.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #493 on: June 16, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
Looks like you guys down south are gonna see the century mark today. We're supposed to hit about 97*F today.

Blech.

Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #494 on: June 16, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
    Just what you need.  I hope the humidity goes up a little anyhow!
    Mark

Looks like you guys down south are gonna see the century mark today. We're supposed to hit about 97*F today.

Blech.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #495 on: June 16, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »

99.7 at 3PM but it'll go over. It keeps playing at 99.

Almost got the pool ready - new valves, new pump/filter plumbing, rubber mats under filter & pump. I can hardly hear this thing running now. Tomorrow, I'll replace the sand in the filter, haul out the blender and Tequila, and blow up the raft!  8-)

I'm sure the winds will be at 40 and some freak lightning storm will roll thru once I splash down.  ](*,)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #496 on: June 16, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
99.7 at 3PM but it'll go over. It keeps playing at 99.
Almost got the pool ready - new valves, new pump/filter plumbing, rubber mats under filter & pump. I can hardly hear this thing running now. Tomorrow, I'll replace the sand in the filter, haul out the blender and Tequila, and blow up the raft!  8-)
I'm sure the winds will be at 40 and some freak lightning storm will roll thru once I splash down.  ](*,)
     :lol: :lol: :lol: [-o< [-o< UU UU UU UU

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #497 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #498 on: June 16, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »
Here's an interesting link found on InciWeb - MesoWest showing the smoke coverage: http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/mesomap.cgi?profile_id=3V768SA529JBn7K&waiver=NS2gfuJLCsz4UrAj3PXEhQg8LJ6t3HqUJ8h85p7XW9iTA8W2828
   Wow! :shock: That is amazing.  I had been checking satellite images today and the plumes did not look as big as yesterday, at least they seemed harder to see.  It might be easier to see when the Sun gets lower in the West and illuminates the plumes from the side more.
    Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #499 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
I'm pretty much covered in smoke now. The mountains to my NE are just about fully obscured.

anything