Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 205291 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »
Chris - wait until THU nite...

For me, Monday nite dropped to 10% for precip with 20% TUE thru WED. The nite temps slide down M-29, T-23, W-20 and Thursday down to 18.

I haven't seen Thursday yet…I heard it's cold. No. Frigid.

Well, I guess they wanted us to share the wealth. My forecast has changed quite a bit.
Wed nite dropped to 10% precip but Tue nite thru Wed nite is now calling for... SNOW!  \:D/

M-27, T-15, W-11 for nitetime lows now with Thu nite at 16. I guess they see it as colder and quicker. Some of that North wind will be blowing as well - mid 20MPH

This is what the NWS is forecasting for Portales

Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2011, 03:33:14 AM »
They're catching on at NWS. Now the precip is at 40% for Wed nite AND Thu which was "partly sunny"

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:06 AM »
They dropped us down (technically) from Winter Storm Watch to Winter Weather Advisory.  #-o

I'm sure when the snow starts falling out here, they'll change it again](*,)

Other than that, not much to report yet out here. It's cloudy, 38*F (boy it's warm this morning). Rain this afternoon, quickly followed by heavy snow. Windy tomorrow, with heavy snow and bitter cold. Wednesday is going to be very cold, some snow possible.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
My forecast seems to get shuffled a lot:

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2011, 04:49:04 PM »
Mine isn't showing up again.  ](*,)

And you get the pretty icons.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
And for some reason, when I try to access my local (Portales) weather radio URL, it keeps rebuffering. Driving me NUTS.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
Hope you two get plenty of snow! :grin:
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »

They are, aren't they? They drop right into the template you could be using on your website ](*,)    :-P

They're courtesy of Steve at DaculaWx: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8977.msg85419#msg85419

I heard a few booms before and looked to see if it was stormy. Nope. F-22s playing over the mountains, running "fire" drills. All sorts of booms and flares lighting up in the sky! I could even see the planes light up as they pulled away from whatever they were launching. Pretty cool. We have most of the people trained to understand that the BIG booms are them popping Machs but this should really blow their mind.

BUT stars in the sky still and my fcast has yet again changed:

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2011, 05:34:15 AM »
We are going to be VERY warm today, as a warm front will lift up from the South, preventing snow from reaching this far South. Just 200 miles north, there are numerous Winter Storm Warnings.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
Went to a local friend's house yesterday at 4:30PM. Temp: 28*F.

Snow started with gusty winds around 7, temp dropped to 15. Stayed the night. Winds were HOWLING.

Woke up at 7:30, winds were light, temp? 5*F. Wind chill? −17*F (okay so winds weren't THAT light, but they sure weren't as bad as last night).

Got back to my dorm room at 9:30 this morning. Classes start at 11 AM (darn, no cancellation).  ](*,)

I turned the thermostat off a couple nights ago after the room hit 78*F (despite setting at 72*F). This morning it was 63*F in my room. Heater is taking it's pick-@$$ time warming the room up, with the 'stat cranked at 80.

More snow on the way this afternoon/evening…we saw mostly icy and snowpacked roads in Portales, with salt trucks going around starting at 8. People in Portales know how to drive in snow. People in Albuquerque do not. Go figure.

Good news is, by this weekend, we'll be in the 50s yet again!

Latest vis sat image (edited):

Live sat image:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:58:52 AM by Chris H. »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »
I looked out the window around noon and found the sun shining away, 40 degrees... and snowing. Little flakes that amount to nothing but interesting just the same.

Winter Warning in effect, temps 30 below normal, and it's starting to look a little nasty out...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
We got more coming in. Been watching GRL3 all day

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
Not much snow coming in here for once. A warm front lifted to the north very early this morning, and temperatures hit around 60. Upslope snow with minimal accumulations is forecasted Wednesday Night, but the wind will be strong; 55 mph wind gusts possible...That's the speed limit of my state highway!
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »
Well, I was sitting here watching the temp fall to 22 and hearing of all the snow in El Paso and parts of Las Cruces. No bucket tips here so I figured I would get some Mickey D's...

An Inch of very wet snow on the ground already and I didn't make it out of the driveway. Just backing out of the garage had me slide a foot in the Miata. Very wet and slippery out. I guess I'll make some soup.

Now I want a rain bucket heater for those once or twice every other years that I get snow!

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2011, 05:38:56 AM »
Hey, you wanted snow and now you got it! Congrats! :grin:
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2011, 06:10:19 AM »
It's a bonus day: (it's 12* so it might be a double-double-bonus day - 10 is my lowest)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:13:36 AM by Cienega32 »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:37 AM »
5AM, 11.5 degrees, still snowing - lightly and just about 2 3/8 inches of accumulation.

Nice...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
Bottomed out at −5 at 6:10 AM this morning. Lowest wind chill value was recorded as −32*F at 4:16 AM this morning. Right now it's powdering snow and it's 1*F. All schools across NM are either closed or under 2-hour. Well…except ENMU (all other college campuses around New Mexico are closed, especially in Albuquerque). We're set to open at 10, classes start at 11- and I don't want to go. It's too damn cold. And it's breezy.

So they finally cancelled classes starting at 1. No evening classes. I'm happy now. I'm going to take a nap now and stay warm.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:43:59 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
Everybody needs a day off a school! I'm glad you got it. :grin:
Joe Fitzwater

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »

They are, aren't they? They drop right into the template you could be using on your website ](*,)    :-P

They're courtesy of Steve at DaculaWx: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8977.msg85419#msg85419

I heard a few booms before and looked to see if it was stormy. Nope. F-22s playing over the mountains, running "fire" drills. All sorts of booms and flares lighting up in the sky! I could even see the planes light up as they pulled away from whatever they were launching. Pretty cool. We have most of the people trained to understand that the BIG booms are them popping Machs but this should really blow their mind.

BUT stars in the sky still and my fcast has yet again changed:

The Airforce has a bombing range in the Ocala National Forest they use occasionally. Can't see any flashes from where I'm at but it sounds like distant thunder. I don't know where the planes come from though. No bases around here.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
So a lot of my friends are crossing fingers that the school will stay closed on Thursday. It's not going to happen. We'll have a two-hour delay (classes starting at 11AM), but that's as far as that goes. Why?

- Morning lows will still be below 0, windchills will be rather dangerous.
- Tomorrow's high is in the mid 20s…much warmer than today (high of 8*F) or the day before (high of 13*F).
- No snow, just partly cloudy skies. Snow on sidewalks will melt because of stronger solar radiation and less wind.

Friday will be a full day. Why? High of 45. All that cold air is now fading away. Monday will be a different story, but that's Monday.

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
You have been experiecing some quite cold weather at least you got snow  =D> some of that cold air has spilled over the continental divide making for COLD and windy weather in Phoenix. I hit only a high of 41.4°F which is now the new low alltime low maximum for my station since 1998. It's going to get colder tonight Hard freeze for the desert at least the low 20s which would challenge :roll: my alltime minimum of 22.0°F on January 14, 2007  :shock:

The complete list of the records for mt station!!

http://www.pepperridgenorthvalley.com/alltime.html

Try to stay warm!!

Jeanette
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:27:24 PM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2011, 08:05:34 PM »
Low 20s in Phoenix?! Wow! :grin: I bet you are freezing your rear end off. Thanks for sharing! :-) :-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
Chris, I know up north can get pretty cold but down here, this is border-line insane. My forecast for tonight calls for a -2 as a low and they might be understating that. Right now, it's 8 under fairly clear skies and my day's high of 19 was at 12:10AM. Afternoon high was 15 or so.

My day's AVG temp is almost as low as my station's all-time low temp which was 10.2. Right now the AVG is 12.3. The lowest AVG I think I found here was 24.3 on Jan1 when I dropped to 10 degrees.

I have a tap dribbling in the furthest bathroom right now to keep a little flow in the pipes. Being more of a nite-owl will help for once.

Naturally, El Paso Electric is having rolling black-outs and I'm sure at the next rate increase meeting they'll explain that the electrons need custom made sweaters to be able to work right in the winter. They've been trying to stroke their customer base with every thing they can think of for the last two years.

Now it's 7 degrees, dropped 2 in the last hour and still going. 32 degree 24 hour difference...

My Feb 2nd avg is mid-40s each of the last 3 years.

This is nuts.

Logging off at 8:55 - temp is now 4.0 degrees. This is liable to end up a double digit negative before the sun shows up...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:58:54 PM by Cienega32 »