Author Topic: Weather Underground Issues and Bug Tracking - Check here before posting  (Read 18656 times)

Offline mdv

Re: Weather Underground Issues and Bug Tracking - Check here before posting
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2019, 08:41:33 PM »

Thank you for the update.
Oh well. I keep hoping to be able to check off some issues over to the done - fixed column. I guess not yet.

You too have missing days from the monthly view of your PWS - Days 1, 5 and 10 display summary data but no graph/table.

At least your monthly view has updated to end of 18th July - mine is still stuck on 16th.

Similar issues of missing days in the weekly view on my PWS - but at least the weekly data is displayed for up to the current day.

I don't know what the WU team has done, but the historical data which was working OK is now pretty much kaput

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2019, 11:25:22 PM »

Oh well. I keep hoping to be able to check off some issues over to the done - fixed column. I guess not yet.

You too have missing days from the monthly view of your PWS - Days 1, 5 and 10 display summary data but no graph/table.

At least your monthly view has updated to end of 18th July - mine is still stuck on 16th.

Similar issues of missing days in the weekly view on my PWS - but at least the weekly data is displayed for up to the current day.

I don't know what the WU team has done, but the historical data which was working OK is now pretty much kaput

Oh wow  :shock: bummer! I do see that now.
I had not used the new UI much as I had been relying on the the old site. Seeing this now is quite a shock. This totally means I can't use WU for live data because of missing tenths and rain rates that are meaningless. I can't use WU for historical data because the reporting summary is incomplete. WU is completely useless. What gets me is that I know my station is uploading and they are receiving all the data....the old site had all the data...I bet if they turn up the old site that the data is still all there in their database. This is a problem (many problems actually) with the new front end UI site. What a disaster.

At least I'm happy that I can pull meaningful reliable data from other sources. I can't imagine having a weather station that only uploaded to WU.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2019, 06:27:05 AM »
I basically switched over to having my own graphs generated from a SQL database I have WeatherDisplay uploading data to. Better interactive graphs than Wunderground and all the daily data is there and pretty.
I'm not taking my station offline from WU, but it's basically useless at this moment unfortunately. And because I switched weather softwares when I got my Vantage Vue by converting all my data since 2011, the data in my weather software is prone to having conversion errors while only WU had all the proper data properly formatted and in nice high resolution graphs as it was sent since the beginning across 2 different weather softwares.

Sigh.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »

Oh wow  :shock: bummer! I do see that now.
I had not used the new UI much as I had been relying on the the old site. Seeing this now is quite a shock. This totally means I can't use WU for live data because of missing tenths and rain rates that are meaningless. I can't use WU for historical data because the reporting summary is incomplete. WU is completely useless. What gets me is that I know my station is uploading and they are receiving all the data....the old site had all the data...I bet if they turn up the old site that the data is still all there in their database. This is a problem (many problems actually) with the new front end UI site. What a disaster.

At least I'm happy that I can pull meaningful reliable data from other sources. I can't imagine having a weather station that only uploaded to WU.

Good point.  I would be floored if I bought a station that only reported to WU.  Anyway, pretty sure the WU site isn't going to get any better and perhaps at some point it shuts down completely.  Perhaps they are hanging on by a thread simply because they have a couple agreements/contracts with hardware partners which they need to let run off. 

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »
deport,  it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the american corporation.  :-)   gota love my meteobridge
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »
deport,  it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the american corporation.  :-)   gota love my meteobridge

ha!  :!: . So true.  Rocking the wifilogger over here.  Satisfied.

Really is ashamed with WU though. Used to be a nice tool to view custom ranges of historic dates and easily analyze data in a simple way. 

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
This quote from Wikipedia really sums it up.  Note the attribution footnote for "some say"

In March 2017, Weather Underground stopped providing Doppler Weather radar Detected Storms on their NEXRAD page, and posted: "There are no Doppler radar detected storms for (any area) at this time." As well, lightning was never depicted on the radar screen, even when it was obviously occurring. When contacted[when?], IT customer service responded that the Doppler facility would be back soon, but the company was focusing on a smart phone app that gave the same Doppler Radar Detected Storms information. There was no mention of the lack of lightning data. However, weather radar data were still not available on the app as of May 19, 2018.

The Doppler Radar Detected Storms information was presented in a very useful format, because each storm was given an identifier that could be looked up by scrolling down to a grid giving more specific details: i.e. speed, direction of travel, intensity, hail potential, build-up tops, lateral size, etc. Many service users, including Emergency Weather Management Units, felt that was one of the most important features of Weather Underground, because it could be used as an early warning system alert for people in the path of inclement weather, and potentially minimize property damage.

Weather Underground seems to have slowly lost functionality and download speed; some say[who?] the service has become an afterthought since being purchased by The Weather Channel / IBM. Most loyal users, and customers contacted for this report, are hoping for a major format upgrade for PCs and laptops, to the previous format, and an increase in download speed.[citation needed]
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »
Today, five of my stations at WU show what is in the attachment.
Is this the end of WU?
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
I haven't check my summary until reading all the post here but as you can see for the month of July WU only shows 5 days of reading . Sad what WU has become . Will they fix it , who knows . Do they care , who knows .
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
For me in July there is no data at all.
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
I've updated this Trello tracking card to reflect that this MISSING DATA is a major issue. Please vote on this....
https://trello.com/c/O2uaUfgC

...or please vote on those issues that matter to you most which you would like to see resolved. For as much venting that I see on this forum it is interesting to see such low voter turnout.

How to vote:
Example:

Votes then show up on the individual cards:

Why vote? Because I feel that WU is reading this and they've seen the Trello Issue site (because they don't live under a rock). The more engagement we show not just by venting here but by voting for the issues that matter most is just another feedback method to show WU (and IBM) that these things matter to us. Sure WU may be a small great group of people and maybe the big stubborn entity may be IBM, so it is often important for the entity controlling the purse strings to be shown evidence that change and investment is imperative. WU needs our help. I'm sure that there are many great WU employees that are just not empowered or supported by the higher ups.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:43:49 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2019, 04:46:31 PM »
Roger. Put my votes in.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »
For all the good it will probably do I put some votes in as well for problems that irk the heck out of me.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
I just wanted to review the "weekly" mode to see how long this heat wave has lasted.  It showed one day in the Table mode with todays date selected.  Moving the date back one day does display a weeks worth of data, though.  In this case that was a little depressing!  Monthly mode shows, apparently, randomly selected days, not every day.  I do have some confidence n the data displayed in th weekly mode, but would have to take tie to go back and look for the monthly mode.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2019, 06:08:30 PM »
Well that’s comforting.

All of the sudden sign-in, settings, reset password do not function.

The whole thing seems to not respond across three devices.

Offline mdv

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
I was ignorant of the voting system on the trello board. I have now placed a single vote ... for the missing monthly data issue.

The visualisation issues (new widgets that are not needed or did not work for some time) are frustrating but tolerable
The lack of precision in weather values (ie no decimal place) is annoying but not a showstopper
The inability of summary data to update in a reasonable time frame is annoying but not a showstopper.

The (random?) omission of data in monthly view (ie missing days) is intolerable. Data integrity is paramount - if the displayed data cannot be trusted because it is incomplete or incorrect, then that data is useless. 

I do my best to give WU trustworthy data, and they give it back to me in a way that cannot be trusted. Unfortunately, I am one of those poor souls who has no easy alternative to WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
Unfortunately, I am one of those poor souls who has no easy alternative to WU.

What weather station do you have?

PS - thank you for voting.
Tele-Pole

Offline mdv

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
Unfortunately, I am one of those poor souls who has no easy alternative to WU.

What weather station do you have?

My PWS is a Pantech WH2950 bought on eBay - cheap (Chinese 'knockoff') but it seems to be doing a good job. It's upload options are limited to WU, WeatherCloud and WOW. The latter 2 options appear much less rich in terms of historical weather information.

My set-up is also problematic. I live 200km distant from the farm where my PWS is located. The PWS connects directly by wifi to a satellite broadband modem/router for upload. I have no PC at the farm.

One possible alternative, I think, is to connect the PWS control station to a raspberry PI and upload to my own website (which I already have). But that sort of setup extends beyond my current IT expertise, although I'd be willing to give it a go.

Any thoughts?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »
I would recommend getting an Ecowitt GW1000 as it will read data from your existing WH24 array sensor, just be sure to match frequency when ordering (433, 868, or 915). Then you can easily get data from it in several ways. You can then run WeeWx on a Pi as you've brought up or you can get a Meteobridge. With either of these you'd have so many alternative places from WU to upload data like CWOP, PWSweather, AWEKAS, MetOffice WOW, Windy. ..and several more. You'll have plenty to keep you busy and then you can also upload to your website with several templates. All the help you need is in this forum. Just start and take it one step at a time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:47:41 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2019, 11:30:45 AM »
Finally something to move to the Done - Fixed column! Today we finally got decimals in both Current Conditions Box and in the graphs and data table. Thank you WU. I'm regaining faith.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
New Issue

With these new fixes comes some new needed fixes. See Trello for new cards. Added precision in tenths for temperature is welcome but we need hundredths for rain when using inches. We also need hundredths for inHg pressure inside of Current Conditions Box.

Please vote on this
https://trello.com/c/1w7mFQSR
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:17:32 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »
With decimal coming in the remaining main issue for mr is the wind graph. Doesn't differentiate wind speed and gust.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »
With decimal coming in the remaining main issue for mr is the wind graph. Doesn't differentiate wind speed and gust.

I've seen stations that don't differentiate wind speed and gusts. This has never been a problem with WU nor is now. That is up to your station and its software. This is not a troubleshooting thread for individual issues. Please open a new thread to get further help and be sure to include the specifics of your hardware and software used.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:18:48 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »
Finally something to move to the Done - Fixed column! Today we finally got decimals in both Current Conditions Box and in the graphs and data table. Thank you WU. I'm regaining faith.
Still missing large blocks of historical data for earlier in July so basically they've put lipstick on the pig but it is still a pig.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »
Still missing large blocks of historical data for earlier in July so basically they've put lipstick on the pig but it is still a pig.

One step at a time. Let's enjoy the improvements made. If your kid is failing and one day finally brings home a C you don't get on to them about their green or purple hair. I share your frustration but lets try and be bit more pleasant. Maybe WU will return to the forum if we welcome them. Today is just not the day to be cutting up on them. I'm guilty of it, just not today.

That said the missing large blocks (random days) of data missing is a big issue. I would say that is the single most important issue right now. Without this the entire site is useless and can't be trusted other than for Live data. But hey! Live data has decimals!

Data Missing issue:
https://trello.com/c/O2uaUfgC

The fact that WU had seemingly had no progress in months and they finally do something and it was the decimals is awesome. That was the biggest complaint and they focused on it. WU said they would not take away the old WU site until these issues were fixed. They didn't really hold their promise as the old site came and went many times before these fixes were implemented, but finally we have decimals on the new site.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 03:58:26 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything