Author Topic: WXtoImg Licence issues  (Read 19714 times)

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
WXtoImg Licence issues
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
Hi. I have been using WXtoImg software alongside Orbitron and SDRSharp for some months now and getting some pretty good satellite images from NOAA15, NOAA18 and NOAA19, but unfortunately yesterday WXtoImg  would not upload the images to my website as the licence has stopped working. I have tried reinstalling the Licence and Usenamer as shown on WXtoImg website, but I keep getting an error message saying that the Username or the Licence is not correct.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or am I missing a setting here?

Garyghj

Offline halifax

Re: WXtoImg Licence issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
I am having issues, too. Started today or yesterday. Only partial uploads of any reception series, some kind of orthographic projection error code keeps popping up, and neither standard edition or professional edition keys will work (and I am a paid pro version user from many years ago). Seems to be no solution to this problem and I can't find any way to get to the developer. This is the first problem I've had with the program in many years. Not very happy right now.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:37 AM »
Hi Halifax, Thank you for your response. I have tried searching for a contact email for the developer, but without success. It is very annoying and like you this is the first problem I have had with this software. If anyone knows of an email for Craig Anderson of Abstract Technologies, Auckland, NZ, (There are many companies trading as Abstract Technologies) it would be very useful.

Thank you. Garygh

Offline ldelatorre

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »
Does anybody have the previous version we can try the 2016 keys?  This is frustrating.

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:57:06 AM »
I do not have any previous versions, but I uninstalled the beta version and reinstalled the latest stable version and all the basic functions work ok. It is very frustrating that the unlock key does not work anymore. The guys at GEO have suggested an alternative piece of software 'APT Decoder' available free at http://leshamilton.co.uk/aptdec.htm
garyghj

Online WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »
I have  keys that works with 2.10.11 or the beta 2.11.02,  since Craig put up keys on the website to "open" it up for free, I don't see a problem putting up one of mine here, this is case sensitive so copy carefully or cut and paste,  Kevin Schuchmann  CGHZ-PP9G-EAJZ-AWKK-NDNX

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »
Hi Kevin, Thank you for this, but your key does not work in any version I have of WXtoIMG. My basic settings work, but the upgrade parameters are not available. Can you please look at 'Projection' in your menu and let me know if all of the options are available, please? In the free version I can only access three items and all the others are greyed out. (For example). Thank you again. Gary

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
This?  http://leshamilton.co.uk/wxkeys.htm

So, based on the above website comments at the bottom of the above link it says:

"How to overcome this problem
Although is is a bit of a fiddle, you can regain full functionality of WXtoImg by following these steps:
  1) In Windows Control Panel open Date and Time and roll the Year back to 2016.
  2) Using the 2016 Upgrade Keys, WXtoImg will now open correctly.
  3) Advance the Year back to 2017 (so that current keplerian elements work correctly).
  WXtoImg will now function correctly until either the program, or the PC, is shut down."

So, you have to do this everytime either program or the computer is restarted? Seems like a lot of work just to get the program to run...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
One of the really useful features of the upgrade version was the 'Auto Record' feature which meant that if the pc shuts down for any reason, (power failure, Windows update,.....) I have my PC on auto boot and all the satellite software on boot at startup and WXtoIMG would also auto start recording. Although the suggested work around has some use and is of help, it is in fact of little practical use.

Just a thought, but if Les Hamilton is correct and the paid for key still operates (I'm not sure this is the case, see the post from halifax above) if someone has a paid for key and it does still works and is willing to pass it on to me then I am willing to reimburse them the cost they paid for it. (Payment to your email through PayPal). I am not sure if the paid for key is locked to a pc or an email address? Thank you Gary

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 06:33:24 PM »
Time to fire up Ollydbg I guess...  :twisted:
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
Hmmm.. this is strange, releasing a code that is not working and then being completely unreachable... I wonder if this was intentional?

Either way, I agree that changing time everytime you restart the PC is in practice useless. Even if you were ok with having incorrect date and time it would likely cause many errors with for example certificates while browsing the web and some other SW.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
Time to start searching NZ obits.  Seriously.

True story:  I once worked with a company that made highly complex economic analysis software.  Was the darling of the oil and gas industry.  Then one weekend the author was killed in a car crash and he was the only one with all the software keys (memorized).  The company was never able to successfully recompile it and they went bankrupt since they could not support their clients required changes.

Offline halifax

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »
I tried that, too. Damn aliens must have kidnapped Craig Anderson because that boy has disappeared without a trace.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline halifax

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
True story:  I once worked with a company that made highly complex economic analysis software.  Was the darling of the oil and gas industry.  Then one weekend the author was killed in a car crash and he was the only one with all the software keys (memorized).  The company was never able to successfully recompile it and they went bankrupt since they could not support their clients required changes.

Yikes! There's a heckuva moral to that story!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »
OT: This is and especially will be, a major problem in the future. Just think about how many different accounts, even bank accounts, mailboxes etc. you have, that no-one else knows about or has access to and in some cases, some of those might be important, but no-one will ever be able to access them. And this obviously will be even bigger problem in the future because the percentage of people using these new technologies will be higher (I dont want to insult any older guys here, many are very skilled in IT, but there is no doubt that the percentage of people using the Internet in the younger age group is much higher). Or it could even be just password-protected laptop with family photos, documents etc etc.
And so that Im not so much OT, .... even Meteotemplate, no-one else apart from me has access to any of the meteotemplate.com parts - demo, blog, download files, databases....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:01:37 PM by Jáchym »

Offline ldelatorre

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »
I have  keys that works with 2.10.11 or the beta 2.11.02,  since Craig put up keys on the website to "open" it up for free, I don't see a problem putting up one of mine here, this is case sensitive so copy carefully or cut and paste,  Kevin Schuchmann  CGHZ-PP9G-EAJZ-AWKK-NDNX

Kevin you are awesome.  That worked for me.  Thank you.   =D> \:D/

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
I tried that, too. Damn aliens must have kidnapped Craig Anderson because that boy has disappeared without a trace.

You tried this as a start point?  http://nzbusinessdb.com/company/642431/abstract-technologies-new-zealand-limited

Offline halifax

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »

You tried this as a start point?  http://nzbusinessdb.com/company/642431/abstract-technologies-new-zealand-limited

Yes, Sir, been there, and tried mining elsewhere, too. Phone directories, business directories, his website host, etc. No joy yet.

Online WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »
I uninstalled wxtoimg, then downloaded and installed 2.11.02 put in the key I posted and all options are available under projection, so I'm not sure why it is not working for you Gary, did it complain when you put in the key?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
Out of curiosity, does this license issue affect the Linux version?

Offline garyghj

• Munlochy PWS
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
wa6fwf, I have just tried your suggestion and used a power scan to remove all traces of WXtoImg, re-downloaded a fresh .exe for v 2.11.2, tried your code plus three others I have now, but still the same issue. Can you tell me please, what OS are you using? (I am using Windows 10, 64 bit with all updates).

Bushman has a good point, can anyone report if they have working software (Standard or Professional) and if so, what OS you are using, is it the free upgrade or the paid for version?

I somehow think until the aliens have stopped probing Craig and return him to earth (seriously hope he is ok) we are banging our heads against a brick wall with this one!  ](*,)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »
the company annual return has recently been updated
http://solidbusinessnz.com/company/642431/abstract-technologies-new-zealand-limited

the office address is probably just a place holder name address (i.e probably does not actually have an address their)

there is no telephone listed

Online WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
running windows 8.1 64 bit, when you click on help, about,  what edition does it say it is?

Kevin
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:03:30 PM by wa6fwf »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
So... if I crack this, would it be illegal/immoral/unethical?