Author Topic: New Raspberry user  (Read 2962 times)

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
New Raspberry user
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »
I just purchased a Pi3 kit from Amazon. My goal is to move my Vantage Vue console out of my office and not have to leave it connected to a computer 24/7 for online data uploading. I just want to confirm that I can, indeed, move this unit anywhere and use the onboard WiFi for uploading to sites like WU, CWOP, PWS, Awekas, Weather Bug, etc. I have zero experience with Linux. What is the best software to use for accomplishing my goals? I thought about meteohub, but there is a licensing fee. Also, is there software that will sync my console clock on a regular basis? Once a day would be idea.

Thank you, in advance.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: New Raspberry user
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
weewx
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline lou

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »
As previously stated by BUSHMAN Weewx is the software use. when I first started to use Weewx to get my weather data on Weather Underground I was totally lost.  I fought it as long as I could without making any headway with the software.  I did pose a number of questions on this site and did pickup a couple of tidbits that got me started and I did manage to complete the task.

I just now finished Googling "Weewx", and picked the video selection, and a number of YouTubes show up, this may help you get started.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
there are other software solutions too ;)

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 06:58:04 AM »
Agreeing with the other comments here, WeeWx is the best option in my opinion. I just finished switching over my second VP2 to run on the Pi. I have experienced zero problems since I set both of my Pi s up. I converted from running Weather Display. Seems to be a very solid operating system. I currently have two Pi s.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com