Author Topic: Acurite Question  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Garagedude

Acurite Question
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »
I'm about ready to upgrade my LaCrosse 3-1 for an Acurite. Which is better option between the "Pc-connect" and the "Hub" option? From what I read the Pc-connect has to have a pc live 24/7 for downloading and the Hub doesn't, is that correct? Is that the only difference in these? I guess the data is the same only the way it gets to sites like W.U.  Isn't the "Hub" method more secure as far as protecting my own data since I would need to leave pc on 24/7 with the Pc-connect option. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm planning on two screens in my house which I guess is not a problem. One more question, How much will being 24/7 slow my pc with the Pc-connect?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:43:37 PM by Garagedude »

Offline Garagedude

Re: Acurite Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
Anyone got any ideas or tips?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 01:24:21 PM »
The SmartHUB eliminates the need for a PC running 24/7.

The SmartHUB is also expandable to 10 sensor devices.  For example, you can add several other temp/humidity sensors or moisture sensors as needed.

PC Connect is not expandable and will only report data from a single sensor device such as a 5n1 setup.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »
From what I read the Pc-connect has to have a pc live 24/7 for downloading and the Hub doesn't, is that correct?

Correct.

Is that the only difference in these?
No. Some have lightning detection on the displays, some don't. Also the S. hub can do several different sensors, and if you use 3rd party softwares, like Kevin Keys or Meteobridge, a rasberry pi etc, you can mix different sensors to upload to the wx sites. Dont forget software is an important part of the whole deal as well, depending on what you intend to do.

One more question, How much will being 24/7 slow my pc with the Pc-connect?

Not noticeable, unless you are on a dinosaur.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
Thanks, I was not aware of the hub working with 10 sensors. I'm assuming that the screen would show the extra sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk