Author Topic: Which comes First?  (Read 13439 times)

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
Re: Which comes First?
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 04:52:52 AM »
What they really should fix are the problems seen on both this forum and the ww-forum, like lower temprange and a wind-sensor for marine conditions. Ie. Peet Broos have them both so it can't really be a problem to apply.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2017, 05:56:55 AM »
What they really should fix are the problems seen on both this forum and the ww-forum, like lower temprange and a wind-sensor for marine conditions. Ie. Peet Broos have them both so it can't really be a problem to apply.

What sort of wind-sensor for marine conditions would you suggest?

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »
What sort of wind-sensor for marine conditions would you suggest?

As any moving part are a possible "point of fail" should it be like Ultrasonic without any moving parts. This apply also to the raingauge. It should also contain at least as option some kind heating for areas where icing/snow/frost are a problem.
As i see it is it the lack of competition what keeps the prices of Ultrasonics ridiculous high, not the technology itself.

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
It just bottom out at -40 so humidity  and temps where  wrong for what was happening in the world around it. The unit itself never  quit transmitting. what I  got after temps  dropped at -40 was the good old --.

Some time this summer I'll  set up some thing different and the Davis  going into the local dumpster  even tho it only couple years old.

John

I just have one question.  Given your location, why did you even purchase the Davis unit in the first place.  Just curious.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
The older analog Davis stations did work below -40. Replacement sensors are near impossible to get now however.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »
It just bottom out at -40 so humidity  and temps where  wrong for what was happening in the world around it. The unit itself never  quit transmitting. what I  got after temps  dropped at -40 was the good old --.

Some time this summer I'll  set up some thing different and the Davis  going into the local dumpster  even tho it only couple years old.

John

I just have one question.  Given your location, why did you even purchase the Davis unit in the first place.  Just curious.

Mark
Good question. Why buy the POS if it won't work half the year?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
Because I had the POS working in SEAK. That answer your  question white eyes.  Now go pound sand up you know where
Well you're the one who put the POS up then bitches to the board that it doesn't work when you know damn good and well what it's design limits are. :roll:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2017, 06:32:20 PM »
Having to resort to name calling? What a surprise.
I'm out.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
Come on guys, calm down

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »
I see that certain folks  just  don't like people who are different  around here .  Well I will not  be on this  board anymore.  The gussuk   from Az can have all his says he wants  to those who I made friend  with  thanks for   it over the years.

Osiyo

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »
I see that certain folks  just  don't like people who are different  around here .  Well I will not  be on this  board anymore.  The gussuk   from Az can have all his says he wants  to those who I made friend  with  thanks for   it over the years.

Osiyo
Are you kidding me??? You actually have the unmitigated gall to state that I don't like certain "different" people here??? Who's doing the racists name calling? YOU.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »
Well, it seems to me that we have several "seasoned" and very knowledgeable WXFORUM contributors who aren't seeing eye to eye. While I agree that sometimes it is good to have a good 'ole hard-fought discussion, I find this one beginning to degrade into something that none of us want to see happen here. Everyone involved in this particular thread have had some good inputs. I am really disappointed to see it evolve into name calling. There really is no excuse for it - all of us are mature enough to know better. A tit for tat exchange is not warranted by anyone.

So, let's all take a step back, get back to the basic purpose of this thread to think about what new features Davis should consider for a future product or an enhancement to the existing VP2 product line. While it's true that Davis has made some questionable decisions regarding the design of their VP2's and their operational temperature ranges, let's not forget that for the most part, the issue of low temps does not impact many of us at all. My personal low temps never get to the -40°F level (thank goodness!!!). Yes, some forum members are heavily impacted and they do need to voice their opinions to Davis. I can also appreciate not being able to purchase "professional-grade" weather stations that will fully operate at temps below -40°F. Simply put, they are too expensive and thus, out of the range of what most of us can afford. This is especially true for a hobbyist which most of us are.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
Look Gussuk  I had the unit and don't have the cash to  get better.  I am sure I am not the only one  sdaying it  can be better. It seems that you  and few other  who like to see me just   go away ,  You dale coy and several other always seem to like to rubn what ever I say it the ground.  now screw you and  the  horse you rode in on.

What do you do with all that oil royalty cheques you Alaska residents get up there ? Likely drink it up out there in the bush, nothing much else to do. HAHAHA

Glad you are leaving the forum,  I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of your hooting about the cold,  blah blah blah,  we all know it gets cold in the interior of Alaska,  tell us something we don't know that can be informative.

I ask on behalf of the members on here that you say an apology to those you called names and to the forum members for your childish behavior.  If not we will know how much of a man you really are !

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
There's been too much noise in here lately.

While I personally don't agree with everyone's views in here, I appreciate the civilized discussions, expertise and matter-of-factly opinions from other forum members. Please behave, this forum is just too good to see threads decay into meaningless rants.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:56:34 PM by torkelmj »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
So, in the spirit of getting back to business:  in another topic, I asked (somewhat edited):

...of more relevance to this topic - why should Davis (do that)?  What would be the advantage(s)?  How would it help Davis sell more weather systems?

That question apparently annoyed the person I asked, but I think it's applicable to many of the suggestions in this topic.

So - does someone want to tackle "why should Davis improve the external display (website) appearance of the WeatherLink software? - and would the expense help Davis sell more weather systems?"

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »
Well, that was interesting.
Back on topic.
Davis should offer some kind of "Extreme" package where the unit will be used in temps lower then 40. Maybe also a marine package for those used in salty conditions.  Of course that would be more expensive but if you want reliability in harsh conditions you should be willing to pay for it.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »

So - does someone want to tackle "why should Davis improve the external display (website) appearance of the WeatherLink software? - and would the expense help Davis sell more weather systems?"

Actually, for a few months I have been considering a thread series somewhat along the lines of "So you want to design a weather station" or something similar. So often here at Wxforum, we get questions/comments/requests etc exactly along those lines.

"Why doesn't XYZ manufacturer use 8" rain gauges?"
"Why does my ABC station update so slowly?"
"I want real time wind speed."

I don't think most people understand all of the engineering, interactions, design, and tradeoffs that goes into every modern device, weather stations included.

OTOH, there are some here that have tried to, or actually brought products to market, and know in some fashion what it entails.

I have spent a lot of time out in The Think Tank, watching some weather stations work and examining their design.

I'm willing to tackle the project, if there is genuine interest in it. It's not a trivial post. :)

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »

Possibly.

If I didn't know one weather station from the other, I'd be blinded by the glossy appearance of e.g. https://my.netatmo.com/app/station?demomode=true
Today's version of WeatherLink is hardly a selling point.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
So, in the spirit of getting back to business:  in another topic, I asked (somewhat edited):

...of more relevance to this topic - why should Davis (do that)?  What would be the advantage(s)?  How would it help Davis sell more weather systems?

That question apparently annoyed the person I asked, but I think it's applicable to many of the suggestions in this topic.

One thing I don't like about WL is that when it uploads to CWOP, WU etc the Bulletin freezes until the process is done. Also when it downloads data from the logger the same thing happens. Don't know why but's it's annoying.
Trying to use the WU module for the Rapid Fire updates is useless because of what I just mentioned. Since it's constantly updating the software freezes.
In using WL in the past it will work fine for a couple months then out of the blue you'll get some weird errors  like 950 degrees or some other kind of error that causes the software to  stop working. Then you have to go on the hunt to figure out what went wrong. For this reason I switched to Cumulus. In 3 years of using it I had one error that caused it to stop working correctly. The software just works. I'm not too tech savvy so when I find something that works I stick with it.
As for the Bulletin interface, I'm actually OK with it because I used it for so long. Some of the younger generation may want a look that's more configurable or something that doesn't look so retro.
I would also like to see a "All time Highs and Lows" option. Right now it's only available by year. With data going back to 04 it would be nice to see that data at a glance.
The best part of WL are the graphs. That's why every few weeks I download the data. Haven't seen any other software that compares with WL graphs. Just my opinion of course but that's one aspect that does not need changing.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
I'd vote for lower temperature range and an altimeter setting.  I believe Davis must now see the need for the altimeter setting as they have it on the Vue, just seems they're not ready to make major changes to the VP yet.

The technology seems to be there for the temp, even the older Davis products, such as the Wizard, were rated down to -50, and my original VP has dropped below -40, even though not specifically rated to do so.  If going digital is limiting, then I don't see much advantage to it, I'll sacrifice the tenth of a degree improved accuracy, or whatever they claim, to record the record lows. 

I hate to see them make different models for different regions and climates, surely we don't need a model for where the temperature goes above 100F, one where the temperature goes below -40, etc.  That would seem to me to add unnecessary confusion and expense.  It may be justified for marine conditions and such, but temp range, IMO, should cover the vast majority of the area it's marketed to.

I tend to think that Davis' thinking may be clouded by their circumstances.  They live and test their products in an area where the temperature never gets far below freezing and the elevation is close to sea level, so it's hard for them to comprehend that many places do actually see temps below -40, and that their barometer algorithm is pretty much useless in places like the Rockies.

As for cosmetics, I don't really care.  WL is great for archiving, reports, and graphs, which is what I care about.  The console gives the info I need.

Come on guys, calm down
That's an idea.  The console could play soothing sounds, show soothing pictures, take my pulse and blood pressure, and optionally auto-dial my doctor and/or shrink.  But then, I kind of hope it just sticks to weather.  :grin:

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »
I don't think most people understand all of the engineering, interactions, design, and tradeoffs that goes into every modern device, weather stations included.

The other reality check I'd include is economics and all-in costs (ie development/marketing/support etc) - all too often the only cost that people identify is the bill of materials, which will be only a small % of the total.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »

Today's version of WeatherLink is hardly a selling point.

Yes, and Davis doesn't advertise it as such.  It's a giveaway - and lots of more-modern-looking compatible software packages are available.

Also, what percentage of Davis systems are sold to folks who just want to see what's on the console -- and what percentage are sold to folks who are going to entirely build their own website display?

So, how many more Davis systems would an improved WeatherLink "website appearance" sell?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »

One thing I don't like about WL is that when it uploads to CWOP, WU etc the Bulletin freezes until the process is done.
](*,)

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
I don't believe they need to make major changes to WeatherLink just small upgrades. I like the way it is mostly. The weather bulletin page could have the highs and lows incorporated into the bar graphs. I like the bar graphs for rain data. Also I would like a app for my cell that works.
Billy

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »

Yes, and Davis doesn't advertise it as such.  It's a giveaway - and lots of more-modern-looking compatible software packages are available.

Also, what percentage of Davis systems are sold to folks who just want to see what's on the console -- and what percentage are sold to folks who are going to entirely build their own website display?

So, how many more Davis systems would an improved WeatherLink "website appearance" sell?

1) AFAIK, WeatherLink comes bundled with the Davis loggers. Additional licenses are $25 each. No, that doesn't include the required logger. Definitely not a giveaway.

2) Only Davis would know, if they cared enough to bring new software to the market. An improved presentation interface could possibly attract new users.

anything