Author Topic: Weather Envoy explanation  (Read 1081 times)

Offline NHWF5510

Weather Envoy explanation
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
I truly love the fact that we have so many hands on type people who are able to shed light on what can be fairly complex questions when it comes to this type of hardware and software. I searched the site here and found no answer. The Davis website does not answer my questions either. Too vague. So maybe some people here can shed light on this and myself and others who are (or maybe one day will be curious) can find the answers they need.

I understand that the Weather Envoy is marketed as a Data Logger for storing weather data which can then be accessed as needed by connecting the Weather Envoy to a computer. This would be perfect for a remote location or to a person who does not have constant internet or a computer that is not always on.  I also understand you can use the Weather Envoy in place of a console altogether and the Envoy would not only store data, but also allow it to be displayed on a computer without the need for a Davis console. Lastly the Envoy allows you to acquire data from multiple stations for a more elaborate network of sensors. Am i correct on this so far?

Or alternatively, it would allow you to use the console in your home somewhere far away from your computer without the loss of ability to transmit Data since the Weather Envoy would be receiving that data directly from the ISS and other stations and sending data to the internet. Is that correct?

All that being said, by using a Davis VP2 console with a Weatherlink IP connected directly to my router then an Envoy would not serve any purpose for my application, correct? According to the Weatherlink IP description, it will store data, albeit not for as long a period as the Envoy, but i am only concerned with hours long power outages, not weeks. So an Envoy will be of no use for my application, correct?

Thank you in advance.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weather Envoy explanation
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
An Envoy is simply a standard VP2 console without a display (or control buttons) - nothing more, nothing less. It still needs a separate logger installed to function and can obviously only be used in conjunction with a PC of some description.

[As before, an Envoy8X looks almost identical but has more advanced features.]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:35:59 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
The Envoy is a "lower" cost alternative to tying your console to the computer to record data. My Envoy allows the console to be anywhere in the house for a quick check of outside conditions. You still need to add a datalogger from Davis or from Belfryboy to save and send data to your PC/Internet. My guests like to pick up and play with the console which gets them asking questions about my weather station.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
External temperature probe option
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:53:59 AM »
An Envoy is simply a standard VP2 console without a display (or control buttons) - nothing more, nothing less.
I believe it actually has one extra feature not available in the base console, the ability to host a temperature probe. I ran one on my Envoy for a couple of years,  and enjoyed the more accurate room temperature indication that came  from separating the temperature measurement point from heating variation  from the backlight, logger,  and other internal electronics activity.  So far as I can find, Davis does not support attachment of the external temperature probe to the consoles.

Granted, this seems far afield from the interests of the original poster.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: External temperature probe option
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:06:33 AM »
I believe it actually has one extra feature not available in the base console, the ability to host a temperature probe.

Indeed, there are various other relatively minor differences too, like the shorter battery life from using AA in the Envoy rather than C cells and inability to see certain reception stats like eg RSSI numbers on the Envoy.

I haven't checked explicitly but I wouldn't be surprised if the extra temperature socket wasn't also present in the main VP2 console though it wouldn't be accessible because the case design doesn't allow for it.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
That would be good
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 08:56:06 PM »
I haven't checked explicitly but I wouldn't be surprised if the extra temperature socket wasn't also present in the main VP2 console though it wouldn't be accessible because the case design doesn't allow for it.
If the socket is there I'd be happy to cut a hole in the case to use it (drill, more likely).  I have the probe.  I like the better behavior.  Davis expressly lists supported installations, and does not list the console, but of course if it is covered over that would count as "not supported".

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
I, too, am using an external temp sensor with my Envoy8X. That way the sensor is measuring temp exactly *where* I want it to, and not from inside its case.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside