Author Topic: Warning: Issues for iPhone users and a righteous rant!  (Read 3103 times)

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
Warning: Issues for iPhone users and a righteous rant!
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:19:19 AM »
I was a completely happy iPhone user. Until WU decided to make their Weather Underground apps Today Screen Radar Map widget non functional on iOS 9.3.5 in their last update. The main WU widget (which has always been nigh useless for me) still works but not the radar map one. iOS 10 has a new Notification System, different from iOS 9 and apparently it's not entirely compatible. I noticed on iTunes there are some complaints about similar Today Screen issues with other apps. I could upgrade to iOS 10 but I'm waiting until I'm sure some issues reported with it have been fixed since there's no going back once done. So I've resigned myself to doing without a radar map on the Today Screen, a feature I used more than anything else. However, I would still like to have a decent amount of useful weather data on the Today Screen and I can't find an app that provides much more than a weather icon and the temp. Neither Storm nor the WU app do. I'd also prefer that data to come from my own weather station, either directly or indirectly. When I was an Android user (not going back BTW) there were a couple of apps that could read a file on my website and display the data directly from my station, which I liked better than getting it from WU, but either way is OK. I send data everywhere, so any source tied to my station would do. There is an Awekas app for iOS but it won't stay in Imperial units mode nor can it be returned to Imperial once it has, all on its own, reverted to metric after being set up with Imperial. I am not used to interpreting weather data in metric units. OK. I've tried a few other apps, most of which don't even offer a Today Screen widget, and those that do, provide little data on it. OK, so now I take another step back, retreating from requiring a Today Screen widget at all. But this really does suck because now to see the weather (not to mention the weather data even) I must unlock the phone and open an app, whereas before I could pull down the Today Screen and see everything with the phone locked. I really am going to miss that. But OK. Now I look for a decent weather app, sans Today Screen widget, having retreated from my previous expectations. So far they all have things missing. I'm still looking. I wish someone would create an app that reads a file on a station owners website and displays the data. Make it able to work with various station software, at least the major ones, and make it show all of the data. I would be happy with that; no Today Screen needed. I use the original Cumulus, FWIW. I have multiple reasons for posting this. Perhaps someone will see it and create an app, or perhaps someone knows of one that I might like. Neither Storm nor the WU app show enough of my station data to satisfy me. And forget WeatherBug; they've been saying they're gonna incorporate station data into their app for at least two years and I'm convinced it will never happen (hello Nathan, I know you really tried). Besides, their app, even after input from many station owners, myself included, still contains far too much extraneous stuff for my taste as a weather junkie. I hope this is all coherent.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Warning: Issues for iPhone users and a righteous rant!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
Not an app, just a website, but try http://pwsweather.com/.  Since you use Cumulus there is an option to send your data.
At least you can view your data until you find something better.
Oops, just saw in your sig line you already send data to PWS.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:01:05 AM by ocala »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
I was a completely happy iPhone user. Until WU decided to make their Weather Underground apps Today Screen Radar Map widget non functional on iOS 9.3.5 in their last update. The main WU widget (which has always been nigh useless for me) still works but not the radar map one. iOS 10 has a new Notification System, different from iOS 9 and apparently it's not entirely compatible. I noticed on iTunes there are some complaints about similar Today Screen issues with other apps. I could upgrade to iOS 10 but I'm waiting until I'm sure some issues reported with it have been fixed since there's no going back once done. So I've resigned myself to doing without a radar map on the Today Screen, a feature I used more than anything else. However, I would still like to have a decent amount of useful weather data on the Today Screen and I can't find an app that provides much more than a weather icon and the temp. Neither Storm nor the WU app do. I'd also prefer that data to come from my own weather station, either directly or indirectly. When I was an Android user (not going back BTW) there were a couple of apps that could read a file on my website and display the data directly from my station, which I liked better than getting it from WU, but either way is OK. I send data everywhere, so any source tied to my station would do. There is an Awekas app for iOS but it won't stay in Imperial units mode nor can it be returned to Imperial once it has, all on its own, reverted to metric after being set up with Imperial. I am not used to interpreting weather data in metric units. OK. I've tried a few other apps, most of which don't even offer a Today Screen widget, and those that do, provide little data on it. OK, so now I take another step back, retreating from requiring a Today Screen widget at all. But this really does suck because now to see the weather (not to mention the weather data even) I must unlock the phone and open an app, whereas before I could pull down the Today Screen and see everything with the phone locked. I really am going to miss that. But OK. Now I look for a decent weather app, sans Today Screen widget, having retreated from my previous expectations. So far they all have things missing. I'm still looking. I wish someone would create an app that reads a file on a station owners website and displays the data. Make it able to work with various station software, at least the major ones, and make it show all of the data. I would be happy with that; no Today Screen needed. I use the original Cumulus, FWIW. I have multiple reasons for posting this. Perhaps someone will see it and create an app, or perhaps someone knows of one that I might like. Neither Storm nor the WU app show enough of my station data to satisfy me. And forget WeatherBug; they've been saying they're gonna incorporate station data into their app for at least two years and I'm convinced it will never happen (hello Nathan, I know you really tried). Besides, their app, even after input from many station owners, myself included, still contains far too much extraneous stuff for my taste as a weather junkie. I hope this is all coherent.

hello

install this or check demo to see how it looks on a iPhone https://weather34.com  download it from http://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/index.html set it up to read cumulus    realtime.txt  either use the non cron version or the cron version its optimised for IOS simply add to home screen it has HOME ICONS  ready for IOS . its not exactly
an app but you basically end up creating a web app and its your realtime data so it updates as per your cumulus upload interval .

i use a iPhone 4 basically for music and often test it on there and a iPhone 6 with IOS 10 as a phone however it is overkill for me Im an old school a phone is used for being a phone , my iPad suits me better .

it won't work in today mode apple applies rather strict guidelines , i am in the process of making a free  IOS app based on this , but apple has guidelines without adhering to them I can't do it all quickly but Im getting a better picture and understanding of creating a good looking IOS app not just a bunch of text so hopefully in the future ill have it all done.

don't see this a blatant plug to use the template in fact you could use any of the popular templates found on this forum and cumulus forum with same add to home screen process however some may not scale accordlingly .

give it a try it don't like it or it doesn't meet the requirements nothing lost apart from a bit of time . don't forget your not restricted to just your own data see Piet's custom version with additional data being used https://www.weerstation-sauwerd.nl/wxcharts.php its scales really nicely also on the iPhone..

ps IOS everything here so it's always a priority for me to make it work on those devices. looks freaking awesome on the iPad pro..

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
I cannot share specific details due to NDA, but I have been beta testing WU's iOS apps for a few years now before they are released to the general public.  My professional nickname at work is "Captain Coredump," because I can crash any allegedly complete/tested code without even trying, and the work of WU's crack team of "professional" programmers is no exception.  (My job description does *not* entail testing.  It's just total coincidence that I find all of the oversights in programmers' sloppy work.)

When WU is in an active testing cycle, they send out 1-2 updates per day.  The summary of what was changed between builds is nothing but advertising placement 95% of the time, which speaks volumes about where their priorities are.  Never mind that I have reported multiple times in the last two years that all PWS locations on the iOS maps are skewed northward by 1/2 mile, and sometimes show up in both the correct and wrong location at the same time.  Never mind that the Apple Watch face "complication" has had issues since the day it was released where it will stop updating after a few hours, and only a watch reset will make it work again.  Never mind that the final beta of the version that they are about to ship literally closes up the window in iOS if you touch the screen to scroll down.  As long as the ads are in the correct spot, it is ready to ship!

Venting aside, having my PWS's temperature and a synthetic observation icon on my watch face is a thing of beauty...when it works.  Sadly, I can't even bring up the Apple Watch WU app again right now, because it crashes while loading.  It's great to know that the advertisement functions have been thoroughly tested, though!!!!!  ](*,)
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
OT:

:D Thats why I send scripts to test to you Captain Coredump, you can expect another one very soon :D

Offline WxFox

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
Not an app, just a website, but try http://pwsweather.com/.  Since you use Cumulus there is an option to send your data.

hello

install this or check demo to see how it looks on a iPhone https://weather34.com  download it from http://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/index.html set it up to read cumulus    realtime.txt  either use the non cron version or the cron version its optimised for IOS simply add to home screen it has HOME ICONS  ready for IOS . its not exactly
an app but you basically end up creating a web app and its your realtime data so it updates as per your cumulus upload interval .

i use a iPhone 4 basically for music and often test it on there and a iPhone 6 with IOS 10 as a phone however it is overkill for me Im an old school a phone is used for being a phone , my iPad suits me better .

it won't work in today mode apple applies rather strict guidelines , i am in the process of making a free  IOS app based on this , but apple has guidelines without adhering to them I can't do it all quickly but Im getting a better picture and understanding of creating a good looking IOS app not just a bunch of text so hopefully in the future ill have it all done.

don't see this a blatant plug to use the template in fact you could use any of the popular templates found on this forum and cumulus forum with same add to home screen process however some may not scale accordlingly .

give it a try it don't like it or it doesn't meet the requirements nothing lost apart from a bit of time . don't forget your not restricted to just your own data see Piet's custom version with additional data being used https://www.weerstation-sauwerd.nl/wxcharts.php its scales really nicely also on the iPhone..

ps IOS everything here so it's always a priority for me to make it work on those devices. looks freaking awesome on the iPad pro..

New Edit: I have it set up and running and all looks to be working, except that I'm not getting the WU forecast. If I click on the Forecast Summary I get it in a popup, but it's not appearing in the window. The site URL is: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//PWS/
On the server hosting my site, I cannot put it in a folder named pws in the root because for whatever reason, any folder other than one that was already there named "public" will not allow access from a browser. I suspect that may be the reason. I had a WU API Key and updated it for the new address. When that didn't work I got a new one specifically for the new site. Still no forecast in the window (but the other WU stuff is working and my WU station I.D. is correct) so I don't think it's related to the API Key. Perhaps you can take a look and give me some clue. Thanks.

I just checked it on my iPhone and it looks awesome. I think I'm ready to try it on my site. I have a few questions with regard to setting it up. I know nearly nothing about what "cron" is, other than a vague idea. I'm a Windows guy. So which version should I use and what's the difference? Also, is realtime.txt all it needs to work? If so I should be able to run it along with my current template simultaneously, by sending realtime.txt to both right? IS there anything else I should know before going ahead with it? I've looked at the FAQ, seems simple enough. A phone friendly template as nice as that makes up for a multitude of apps. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:45:08 PM by WxFox »
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

CWOP AV346

Offline WxFox

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 09:48:37 AM »
I cannot share specific details due to NDA, but I have been beta testing WU's iOS apps for a few years now before they are released to the general public.  My professional nickname at work is "Captain Coredump," because I can crash any allegedly complete/tested code without even trying, and the work of WU's crack team of "professional" programmers is no exception.  (My job description does *not* entail testing.  It's just total coincidence that I find all of the oversights in programmers' sloppy work.)

When WU is in an active testing cycle, they send out 1-2 updates per day.  The summary of what was changed between builds is nothing but advertising placement 95% of the time, which speaks volumes about where their priorities are.  Never mind that I have reported multiple times in the last two years that all PWS locations on the iOS maps are skewed northward by 1/2 mile, and sometimes show up in both the correct and wrong location at the same time.  Never mind that the Apple Watch face "complication" has had issues since the day it was released where it will stop updating after a few hours, and only a watch reset will make it work again.  Never mind that the final beta of the version that they are about to ship literally closes up the window in iOS if you touch the screen to scroll down.  As long as the ads are in the correct spot, it is ready to ship!

Venting aside, having my PWS's temperature and a synthetic observation icon on my watch face is a thing of beauty...when it works.  Sadly, I can't even bring up the Apple Watch WU app again right now, because it crashes while loading.  It's great to know that the advertisement functions have been thoroughly tested, though!!!!!  ](*,)

Yeah I had problems with the WU app when I was using Android too. I forget now but they changed the GUI and I hated it after that and refused to upgrade it after downgrading (these should be reversed lol) it. I used the old version for a long time. In my opinion (and I've been wanting to vent on this for a very long time) WeatherBug is even worse; far worse even. I spent a lot of time trying to convince them (I'm a member) what needs to be done but it's quite obvious to me that they're more interested in making it look "cool" to the great unwashed, just long enough to make money on the ads. I send data to them and have for years, but where does it go? I never see it. They've been saying it will soon be in the app. I call B.S. There, now I've said it. I've been wanting to. I can now see why a certain station software dev isn't interested in incorporating it in his software. And there, now I've said that also. What we need is some serious weather software without the B.S.

CWOP AV346

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
We had not used a smart phone until I got my wife an iPhone7s and me a GalaxyS7 last month.  I haven't got any special apps installed yet on either and just access my websites.  To my surprise my Leuven template site shows up very nicely on the phone as a much reduced mobile version to the PC version.    No radar map on that standard mobile page but it is live weather - thanks Wim!

Paul

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »

hello

New Edit: I have it set up and running and all looks to be working, except that I'm not getting the WU forecast. If I click on the Forecast Summary I get it in a popup, but it's not appearing in the window. The site URL is: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//PWS/
On the server hosting my site, I cannot put it in a folder named pws in the root because for whatever reason, any folder other than one that was already there named "public" will not allow access from a browser. I suspect that may be the reason. I had a WU API Key and updated it for the new address. When that didn't work I got a new one specifically for the new site. Still no forecast in the window (but the other WU stuff is working and my WU station I.D. is correct) so I don't think it's related to the API Key. Perhaps you can take a look and give me some clue. Thanks.

I just checked it on my iPhone and it looks awesome. I think I'm ready to try it on my site. I have a few questions with regard to setting it up. I know nearly nothing about what "cron" is, other than a vague idea. I'm a Windows guy. So which version should I use and what's the difference? Also, is realtime.txt all it needs to work? If so I should be able to run it along with my current template simultaneously, by sending realtime.txt to both right? IS there anything else I should know before going ahead with it? I've looked at the FAQ, seems simple enough. A phone friendly template as nice as that makes up for a multitude of apps. Thanks.

hello

i replied to your pm with a screenshot of a diagnostic your WU key, id is fine just your server is refusing to read the combi.js file correctly , the screenshot gives you a comparison.

so sorry for the problems hope you can resolve it..brian

anything