Author Topic: Ken's USA Template Broken  (Read 1915 times)

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
    • Carolina StormWatch Weather
Ken's USA Template Broken
« on: March 10, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
I have been using Ken's Templates since 2007 but have not seen anything like this. My page is down after doing some much needed updating the fly-out menu. My issue can be seen at: http://www.carolinastormwatch.com/index.php . The top and header is still there but those haven't been touched yet but I have never seen the clientraw.txt values above the top and header. Unusual for sure. I am running WD's latest version and Ken's latest Version of USA Templates. Went into debug and I am pretty sure there is an issue in my top.php file. Attached is a view source of top/header files. Any help or solution would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tom
Sunset Beach/Calabash, NC    ](*,)
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Ken's USA Template Broken
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »
Can you post the php scripts you are using? (and the includes). This is impossible to tell just by looking at your page, there is some problem, but I only see the HTML output of the script, not why it looks like this (the PHP that generates it)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
It looks like you have enabled a WD setting that puts out clientraw-type metadata in all processed files.

Go to Weather-Display, Setup, Advanced/Misc Settings, Program TAB
In the General group, UNTICK 'Raw data appears in your HTML webpage for others'

That should remove the raw data clientraw.txt from your webpage (and all the .php uploads like testtags.php).

If that doesn't work, then restart WD .. it's gotten confused and is adding clientraw.txt raw data to your webpages.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
It looks like you have enabled a WD setting that puts out clientraw-type metadata in all processed files.

Go to Weather-Display, Setup, Advanced/Misc Settings, Program TAB
In the General group, UNTICK 'Raw data appears in your HTML webpage for others'

That should remove the raw data clientraw.txt from your webpage (and all the .php uploads like testtags.php).

If that doesn't work, then restart WD .. it's gotten confused and is adding clientraw.txt raw data to your webpages.

Thanks so much Ken, I'll take a look. This is USER ERROR. I apologize if in my orginal post if anyone took this as a problem with the USA Template. Thanks,

Tom
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
Well, that didn't work Ken. The Raw Data box was not "ticked" in Set-up. I also rebooted the WD Program. I am going to upload the top and header files again and look around some more. Really don't know what else to do. It did show 1 warning and several errors in the top file in the validator. That is where the error may be but not sure. I thought I definitely probably thought I may have changed a setting in WD just looking around but I don't know what that would be. I usually stay out of WD unless prompted by someones advice. :?:
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 11:20:23 PM »
Hmmm... doing view-source:http://www.carolinastormwatch.com/testtags.php?sce=view shows the contents are actually clientraw.txt and not the testtags.php as it should be.

Check the WD FTP log.. something is confused there, and try replacing c:\weatherd\webfiles\testtags.txt with a distribution copy from the WD plugin on my site.

This may require you to zip your WD settings and send them to Brian .. See this for directions.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »
Hmmm... doing view-source:http://www.carolinastormwatch.com/testtags.php?sce=view shows the contents are actually clientraw.txt and not the testtags.php as it should be.

Check the WD FTP log.. something is confused there, and try replacing c:\weatherd\webfiles\testtags.txt with a distribution copy from the WD plugin on my site.

This may require you to zip your WD settings and send them to Brian .. See this for directions.
Working on this Ken. Thanks Nothing so far and may have zip files to send to Brian.
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 08:53:12 PM »

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 01:17:41 PM »
Strange... http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31668.0

Hi Jachym,
Thanks for the suggestions. I did get the clientraw issue fixed (I hope) but now just the header and top php files are there are running. I have so many php scripts running. Thanks for your help.

Tom
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »
Great!  So what did you do with WD to get the problem resolved?

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »
Great!  So what did you do with WD to get the problem resolved?

Well with the testtags showing clientraw data I made CERTAIN that the txt and php files were completely new with no contamination, Deleted all instances of testtags running in web files and in the upload portion within WD also and the clientraw raw files went away (I hope for good). Problem now is that the header/top is all I have and the remainder of the page is gone  with an empty page. Trying to debug and view source of the php files to see what may be wrong?? Nothing yet; alot of php files to check.

Thanks for the suggestions for fixing the clientraw situation. Now finding why my page won't load at all has been like looking for a needle in a haystack so they say for me!

Tom.
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
So something is really hanging up.

Download check-fetch-times.php and upload to your site (I think you have an old version w/o some diagnostics in it).  Let me know and I'll take a look.

Your site loading seems to stop after the header.php is loaded currently.. that's the last HTML produced.

Glad you got the testtags.php stuff fixed.. that (at least) seems to be working correctly.

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »
So something is really hanging up.

Download check-fetch-times.php and upload to your site (I think you have an old version w/o some diagnostics in it).  Let me know and I'll take a look.

Your site loading seems to stop after the header.php is loaded currently.. that's the last HTML produced.

Glad you got the testtags.php stuff fixed.. that (at least) seems to be working correctly.

Thanks Ken. I will run the Program you sent and we'll see what we get. I will get it done and sent back to you probably tomorrow.
Tom
CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
Just leave it on your site.. a check-fetch-times.php?show=versions would show what you need to update (for down-level scripts, if any).

It appears (from a bit of looking externally at the components of your site) that your menubar.php likely has a PHP fatal syntax error in it.. the top.php, header.php (plus flyout-menu.php) and footer.php all work fine.. the menubar.php returns a blank page, which usually indicates a PHP syntax error in there.

If you'd download it from your site, rename it to menubar.php.txt and attach it, I'd take an (earlier) look at the code.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »
I may have found the culprit(s).  Your flyout-menu.xml has some '&' in it.. they all need to be '&' in order for the XML parser to correctly use a literal ampersand in the resulting HTML.  Having just '&' causes a syntax error in the XML and flyout-menu.php terminates (with an exit; ) and so your site is seeing what you're seeing now.  There may be other problems lurking, but do install the new check-fetch-times.php and fix the flyout-menu.xml file.

Line 36:                 <item caption="Local History &amp; Station Info">
   Line 38:                            <item caption="Station &amp; Area Info" link="wxabout.php"/>
   Line 94:                         <item caption="NWS Local Normal Rain &amp; Temps" link="wxnormals.php"/>
   Line 101:                 <item caption="Weather Warnings" title="Weather Warnings &amp; Info">

should be

Line 36:                 <item caption="Local History &amp;amp; Station Info">
   Line 38:                            <item caption="Station &amp;amp; Area Info" link="wxabout.php"/>
   Line 94:                         <item caption="NWS Local Normal Rain &amp;amp; Temps" link="wxnormals.php"/>
   Line 101:                 <item caption="Weather Warnings" title="Weather Warnings &amp;amp; Info">
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:13:27 PM by saratogaWX »

Offline stormwatch

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »
I may have found the culprit(s).  Your flyout-menu.xml has some '&amp;' in it.. they all need to be '&amp;amp;' in order for the XML parser to correctly use a literal ampersand in the resulting HTML.  Having just '&amp;' causes a syntax error in the XML and flyout-menu.php terminates (with an exit; ) and so your site is seeing what you're seeing now.  There may be other problems lurking, but do install the new check-fetch-times.php and fix the flyout-menu.xml file.

Line 36:                 <item caption="Local History &amp; Station Info">
   Line 38:                            <item caption="Station &amp; Area Info" link="wxabout.php"/>
   Line 94:                         <item caption="NWS Local Normal Rain &amp; Temps" link="wxnormals.php"/>
   Line 101:                 <item caption="Weather Warnings" title="Weather Warnings &amp; Info">

should be

Line 36:                 <item caption="Local History &amp;amp; Station Info">
   Line 38:                            <item caption="Station &amp;amp; Area Info" link="wxabout.php"/>
   Line 94:                         <item caption="NWS Local Normal Rain &amp;amp; Temps" link="wxnormals.php"/>
   Line 101:                 <item caption="Weather Warnings" title="Weather Warnings &amp;amp; Info">

I see where you found the culprits last night. I was getting ready to send you the results I had when I saw the page up with the errors. Odd that I have been using the same flyout menu but wasn't getting the syntax errors before. Thank you for finding out something that has been such a pain the last several days. Site was under some construction to update some of the outdated scripts. You are "The Man" Ken but you always have been ever since I started using your templates 9-10 years ago??

Thanks so much for your help!! You can have today off with pay says me.

Tom

CoCoRaHS NC-BR-1
CW0803
Advanced Spotter