Author Topic: Streaming to Multiple Icecast Servers with RTL SDR and Darkice  (Read 30148 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Streaming to Multiple Icecast Servers with RTL SDR and Darkice
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
Ok, thanks for the explanation.  I think I'd like to continue using Darkice as I'd like to stream to the local icecast2 and to the wxradio.dyndns.org Icecast server with a new stream.

So.. what diagnostics do I need to get darkice to not have the TcpSocket connect error (and to actually run)?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
I took my instructions from this page: https://stmllr.net/blog/live-mp3-streaming-from-audio-in-with-darkice-and-icecast2-on-raspberry-pi/, in comment 20 at the bottom of the page someone has the same error, maybe start there.

It could be that you just need to comment out the second Icecast2 server setup in darkice.cfg and see if you can get just one to work.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:46:38 PM by tim273 »

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »
I've found a strange business with the frequency selection. This is my /home/pi/weather_radio.sh file:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

# Using Sox/Play with ALSA Loopback
rtl_fm -f 162.475M -s 48000 | play -q -r 48000 -t raw -e s -b 16 -c 1 -V1 -v 6 -
but this is my screen:
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Tuner gain set to automatic.
Tuned to 162727000 Hz.
Oversampling input by: 21x.
Oversampling output by: 1x.
Buffer size: 8.13ms
Exact sample rate is: 1008000.009613 Hz
Sampling at 1008000 S/s.
Output at 48000 Hz.

As you can see the tuner is set to 162.727MHz despite calling for 162.475M.  I'm not sure why this is, but my tuner is very scratchy and full of static like it's mistuned and needs refinement.  I've tried using kal but there aren't any consistent GSM base stations that I'm receiving because I'm in a cell relative dead zone and use calling over IP for my cell.

BTW I found this missing from the top of my /etc/init.d/darkice:
#! /bin/sh
### BEGI
Pasting it in solved my problem with the missing mountpoint.  I must have been really clumsy when I set this file up. :oops:
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
I've found a strange business with the frequency selection. This is my /home/pi/weather_radio.sh file:
#!/bin/sh

# Using Sox/Play with ALSA Loopback
rtl_fm -f 162.475M -s 48000 | play -q -r 48000 -t raw -e s -b 16 -c 1 -V1 -v 6 -
but this is my screen:
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Tuner gain set to automatic.
Tuned to 162727000 Hz.
Oversampling input by: 21x.
Oversampling output by: 1x.
Buffer size: 8.13ms
Exact sample rate is: 1008000.009613 Hz
Sampling at 1008000 S/s.
Output at 48000 Hz.

As you can see the tuner is set to 162.727MHz despite calling for 162.475M.  I'm not sure why this is, but my tuner is very scratchy and full of static like it's mistuned and needs refinement.  I've tried using kal but there aren't any consistent GSM base stations that I'm receiving because I'm in a cell relative dead zone and use calling over IP for my cell.

BTW I found this missing from the top of my /etc/init.d/darkice:
#! /bin/sh
### BEGI
Pasting it in solved my problem with the missing mountpoint.  I must have been really clumsy when I set this file up. :oops:

Mine is like that too, I'm not sure why, but it's right.  For doing the PPM error correction another option you could do on a Windows machine is use SDRSharp (http://airspy.com/download/ - it's the "core SDR package") and that will give you a better idea.  Here's a guide to set that up: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/ then you can visually see the signal and adjust the PPM that way.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
I've ordered a new tuner from NooElec that's been tested to be within spec.  We'll see if it helps.  My NOAA Weather Radios all get a clean, clear signal here without extending the antenna or even pulling it up to vertical, so I don't think signal quality should be an issue.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 06:34:15 PM »
I've ordered a new tuner from NooElec that's been tested to be within spec.  We'll see if it helps.  My NOAA Weather Radios all get a clean, clear signal here without extending the antenna or even pulling it up to vertical, so I don't think signal quality should be an issue.

That works.  Two things to keep in mind, the first is that the RTL SDR dongles use very cheap crystals and because of that these issues happen.  The other thing is that you can still use a regular weather radio with Darkice (or even ezstream) as it just listens to the sound card input, you just need an external sound card.  I was doing that (Raspberry Pi/Weather Radio/Darkice) for a few years when I was streaming to WU.  I updated my post to cover how to do that.

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
Hi Tim;

I was trying to get two streams to self start from boot but having no joy.  It seems that darkice dumps when the rtl sdr stream is turned on.  After boot I can get both feeds to work, providing I do a sudo screen -r , than get out of that screen with a control a d and than do a sudo darkice start.  At that point both streams work.  If I don't look at the feed with the  sudo screen -r than darkice comes up but with no audio.

Bob
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 10:42:41 PM »
Hi Tim;

I was trying to get two streams to self start from boot but having no joy.  It seems that darkice dumps when the rtl sdr stream is turned on.  After boot I can get both feeds to work, providing I do a sudo screen -r , than get out of that screen with a control a d and than do a sudo darkice start.  At that point both streams work.  If I don't look at the feed with the  sudo screen -r than darkice comes up but with no audio.

Bob

I've been having a similar problem, but I had it working before, let me look it up and I'll get back to you.  As long as you get it working, that's good, you rarely need to reboot the Pi.  I've had Raspberry Pi's up for a month or more without rebooting.

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 02:33:44 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've copied over my Raspberry Pi tutorial over to Github:

https://github.com/tim273/weather_radio_scripts

I've also put all the stuff (well almost) in there so all you won't have to copy/paste as much.  Hopefully that makes it a little easier.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
Just got my new tuner for the Raspberry Pi today.  Wow!  What a difference!  The stream is very listenable, and now I want to stream it as an alternate.  I would definitely urge anyone who is contemplating going this route to buy the 'Plus' factory verified version.

I'm still not able to switch to a port other than 8000, which is a problem since I'm using that port through my firewall for my wxradio.dyndns.org feed from a weather radio. :-(

Why won't the port switch to something like 86 or 8500 when I set it to that in 'etc/darkice.cfg'?  Is there another setting that I need to use as well?  When I switch to another port using 'etc/darkice.cfg' I'm no longer able to use Chrome to access the Raspberry Pi through the new port.  When I switch 'etc/darkice.cfg back to port 8000, all is well.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
Just got my new tuner for the Raspberry Pi today.  Wow!  What a difference!  The stream is very listenable, and now I want to stream it as an alternate.  I would definitely urge anyone who is contemplating going this route to buy the 'Plus' factory verified version.

I'm still not able to switch to a port other than 8000, which is a problem since I'm using that port through my firewall for my wxradio.dyndns.org feed from a weather radio. :-(

Why won't the port switch to something like 86 or 8500 when I set it to that in 'etc/darkice.cfg'?  Is there another setting that I need to use as well?  When I switch to another port using 'etc/darkice.cfg' I'm no longer able to use Chrome to access the Raspberry Pi through the new port.  When I switch 'etc/darkice.cfg back to port 8000, all is well.

I have the same RTL SDR stick and it does make a difference, I also switched to a ground plane antenna and that helped too.

If you're running an Icecast2 server locally, you can change the port there and then match it in your darkice.cfg.  The icecast config file is /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml  and in mine the port is on line 61.  Look for this:

<!-- You may have multiple <listener> elements -->
    <listen-socket>
        <port>8000</port>
        <!-- <bind-address>127.0.0.1</bind-address> -->
        <!-- <shoutcast-mount>/stream</shoutcast-mount> -->
    </listen-socket>
    <!--
    <listen-socket>
        <port>8001</port>
    </listen-socket>
    -->

Then just change port 8000 to what you want and then change darkice.cfg to match.  Hopefully that should do it.  Then just restart both

sudo service icecast2 restart
sudo service darkice restart
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:38:48 PM by tim273 »

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Tim.  Changing the port to 88 in both darkice.cfg and icecast.xml leaves me unable to reconnect at 192.168.2.161:88 whereas before the change 192.168.2.161:8000 brought up the icecast2 status with links to the stream in 3 formats.  Perhaps I'm making this too difficult?
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2017, 08:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Tim.  Changing the port to 88 in both darkice.cfg and icecast.xml leaves me unable to reconnect at 192.168.2.161:88 whereas before the change 192.168.2.161:8000 brought up the icecast2 status with links to the stream in 3 formats.  Perhaps I'm making this too difficult?

Ok, I guess I'm not sure then, I thought that would do it, but I'm not sure, I haven't done that before, but here's more info: http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.0/config-file.html

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »

I just thought of this, you probably don't need to set up port forwarding to your computer with the weather radio because you only need to do that with incoming connections, not outgoing ones.  So you should be good to go.

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
Hi Tim;

Bob

I've been having a similar problem, but I had it working before, let me look it up and I'll get back to you.  As long as you get it working, that's good, you rarely need to reboot the Pi.  I've had Raspberry Pi's up for a month or more without rebooting.

Ok working with another pi user (he is feeding Washington DC and Baltimore with pis) we figured out how to get them to work from a cold boot.  We added:

sleep 20
service darkice restart

after the screen line and before exit in the rc.local file.  It seems that darkice may be coming up before the connection to the router is fully established and drops.

Bob
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 10:46:44 PM »
Hi Tim;

Bob

Ok working with another pi user (he is feeding Washington DC and Baltimore with pis) we figured out how to get them to work from a cold boot.  We added:

sleep 20
service darkice restart

after the screen line and before exit in the rc.local file.  It seems that darkice may be coming up before the connection to the router is fully established and drops.

Bob

Good deal, glad that worked!

Offline CF20852

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for loaning us your expertise and good documentation skills.  I followed your procedure to get a couple of Raspberry Pi/R820T setups working.

I riffed off the email script you posted at https://github.com/tim273/weather_radio_scripts/blob/master/OPTIONAL.md and modified it so that it attempts to restart Darkice if it doesn't see my mountpoint up on the Icecast server.  I called this script check_darkice_up.sh, and put it in /home/pi:

#!/bin/bash

url="http://wxradio.dyndns.org:8000"
status_code=$(curl -v  $url 2>&1 | grep -o /mycity/mycallsign.mp3)
#echo "$status_code"

if [ "$status_code" == "" ]
then
    sudo /usr/sbin/service darkice restart
fi

I had to put "sudo /usr/sbin/" in front of "service darkice restart" to get it to run as a cron job.  Most of the clue on why that's necessary was posted in the first answer under https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/179042/shell-script-issue-when-added-to-cron.  Without the "sudo," cron sent me an email at /var/mail/pi telling me the script failed at /usr/sbin/service darkice restart with an "Access denied" error.

I made the script executable:
chmod +x /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
Then I added a line to crontab to run it once each minute:
* * * * * /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
I tested it by stopping darkice using
sudo service darkice stop and letting the cron job run.  I can also run the script using:
sudo /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
Once I found that it runs OK as a cron job, I changed the interval to 31 minutes by changing the line in crontab to
*/31 * * * * /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
I should have let satcop know I was working on this, because in the middle of testing it, I got an email message to the effect that "your stream is down again!"  8-)

Chip

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 01:46:09 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for loaning us your expertise and good documentation skills.  I followed your procedure to get a couple of Raspberry Pi/R820T setups working.

I riffed off the email script you posted at https://github.com/tim273/weather_radio_scripts/blob/master/OPTIONAL.md and modified it so that it attempts to restart Darkice if it doesn't see my mountpoint up on the Icecast server.  I called this script check_darkice_up.sh, and put it in /home/pi:

#!/bin/bash

url="http://wxradio.dyndns.org:8000"
status_code=$(curl -v  $url 2>&1 | grep -o /mycity/mycallsign.mp3)
#echo "$status_code"

if [ "$status_code" == "" ]
then
    sudo /usr/sbin/service darkice restart
fi

I had to put "sudo /usr/sbin/" in front of "service darkice restart" to get it to run as a cron job.  Most of the clue on why that's necessary was posted in the first answer under https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/179042/shell-script-issue-when-added-to-cron.  Without the "sudo," cron sent me an email at /var/mail/pi telling me the script failed at /usr/sbin/service darkice restart with an "Access denied" error.

I made the script executable:
chmod +x /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
Then I added a line to crontab to run it once each minute:
* * * * * /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
I tested it by stopping darkice using
sudo service darkice stop and letting the cron job run.  I can also run the script using:
sudo /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
Once I found that it runs OK as a cron job, I changed the interval to 31 minutes by changing the line in crontab to
*/31 * * * * /home/pi/check_darkice_up.sh
I should have let satcop know I was working on this, because in the middle of testing it, I got an email message to the effect that "your stream is down again!"  8-)

Chip

Great Job!  I added your script to the Github repository.  I'll update the documentation as well a little later (got some errands to run).

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2019, 02:23:17 AM »
I'm trying to get darkice running, but I seem to be running into a password problem:

DarkIce: IceCast2.cpp:251: Icecast2 - wrong password [0]
I've changed the password "hackme" in both the darkice.cfg and icecast.xml file and restarted to no avail.

I've been following the tutorial on github and sticking with the defaults.

What am I missing?

I'm running buster if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
There's three different passwords in icecast.xml:

<authentication>
        <!-- Sources log in with username 'source' -->
        <source-password>source</source-password>
        <!-- Relays log in username 'relay' -->
        <relay-password>relay</relay-password>

<!-- Admin logs in with the username given below -->
        <admin-user>admin</admin-user>
        <admin-password>admin</admin-password>
    </authentication>

I believe it's the source password, but I made them all the same on my server.  Also, once you change the passwords, restart icecast first and the darkice second.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
There's three different passwords in icecast.xml:

<authentication>
        <!-- Sources log in with username 'source' -->
        <source-password>source</source-password>
        <!-- Relays log in username 'relay' -->
        <relay-password>relay</relay-password>

<!-- Admin logs in with the username given below -->
        <admin-user>admin</admin-user>
        <admin-password>admin</admin-password>
    </authentication>

I believe it's the source password, but I made them all the same on my server.  Also, once you change the passwords, restart icecast first and the darkice second.

That's what I've done, but no joy.

In the icecast error log, I get this:
[2019-10-20  08:38:40] INFO connection/_handle_source_request Source logging in at mountpoint "/weather/radio" from 127.0.0.1
[2019-10-20  08:38:40] INFO connection/_handle_source_request Source (/weather/radio) attempted to login with invalid or missing password

I'm stumped.  What version of raspian did you build on?  Maybe I should try on that and see if I have the same problem. 

Thanks!

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »
nincehelser, did you get this resolved? I have been running a Raspberry NOAA weather radio since last year build on the instructions provide by Tim Urberg. This went very smoothly. After that I build three more, also with no issues. The last one was in April 2019.
Last week the SD card failed in my Raspberry. I got a new SD, followed the procedure and ended up with the same error as you.
Double check passwords, username, server name in darkice.cfg and icecast.xml. Luckily I took snapshots of my builds, so I know the data entries are correct.

As a last resort, I did a complete rebuild not changing any of the default hackme passwords, same result.

I am not a Raspberry expert, so I am clueless how to find this problem. Maybe Tim can have a look and see what is going on.

Mine is build on Raspbian Stretch release 9.11

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:00:47 AM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »
nincehelser, I managed to get hold of a SD card from one of the units I build. I cloned it, edited the required fields and are back on line.  :grin:

If you are still interested in running a Raspberry, I can send you a cloned SD card to get you going.
At 15GB the img file is way to big to email and I do not have access to a FTP server. Even then it is going to take a long time to upload and download again.

If you are interested, please send me an Email.

Dries
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline ke9lz

• De Pere - Athelstane Weather
  • Contributor
    • De Pere Weather
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
Has anyone been able to make this work from scratch using the latest Raspberry software?  I have been trying to get this running and have not been successful.  I have followed the instructions to a tee and no success.

Steve
Steve (KE9LZ)
Athelstane Weather
Blitzortung 1177, 1565

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »
It's been close to a year since I did my last one.  The only issue I've run into is I can't make the service start up properly.  After a reboot, I have to give it a minute to settle down, then restart the service.

But that's the only I had run into.  I have an older PI2 that I dabble with from time to time.  Production is a PI3.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

anything